Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Base LAN address changes when Starlink looses satellite connection

Mobyware
Aspirant

Base LAN address changes when Starlink looses satellite connection

I have a Starlink connection with the router in bypass mode. I am using a Nighthawk as DNS and DHCP server for the network. I have a requirement of a LAN base address of 192.168.100.x with a couple of fixed IP address devices.

My problem is whenever the router looses connection to the gateway (Starlink looses satellite contact) the base IP address for my LAN changes to 192.168.1.x or 10.1.1.x and my network is broken. How do I prevent the Nighthawk from doing that? I have used old routers that keep the base address unchanged when internet connection is lost. It seems this address change is a "feature" in newer routers.

Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Base LAN address changes when Starlink looses satellite connection

Something that can't be done on the NH router. It has to use something other than 192.168.100.x That's already in use by the ISP Internal service so it can't be used that's why.  You have to run the NH router 192.168.1.x, 172.x or 10.0.1.x. 

Contact the ISP and have them help you with this. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 17

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What model router do you have?

You shouldn't be using 192.168.100.x sub net as it maybe something that the StarLink is already using thus the NG router is auto detecting this and changing to something different to avoid this conflict. You can use same IP address subnet across two routers. Will not work. 

Message 2 of 17
Mobyware
Aspirant

R7000P. The Starlink is in bypass mode so we are getting a WAN address from their gateway. The problem is with the NG loosing internet connection and reassigning a LAN base address. Older routers did not do this and apparently this is a new "feature". Is there anyway to disable this from happening?

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

No. The R7000P should not be using 192.168.100.1 as this is a ISP modem default IP address for some cable modem or ISP modem web page access which is not changeable. So the R7000P needs to use something different like default 192.168.1.1 or 10.something. 

What FW is loaded on the R7000P? 

What CAT# Lan cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended. 

What you may need to do is put the Starlink into router mode then put the R7000P in router mode into Startlinks DMZ. Contact the ISP for help and information regarding this and configuration of there gateway to use with external routers. 

Or use the R7000P in AP mode.

Message 4 of 17
Mobyware
Aspirant

We can't put the Starlink router in router mode because it is a dumb router and can't do fixed IP addresses or change the LAN base address, both of which we need for an internal server running proprietary software. So the Starlink router is in bypass mode and the NG Nighthawk is our DHCP server. I configured it to have some fixed IP addresses and a base address of 192.168.100.x for the server requirements (not something I have control of). So now, when Starlink looses satellite contact, the NG router reassigns the LAN base address to 192.168.1.x or 10.0.1.x. Why? I guess to avoid a conflict with what it things the ISP WAN address will be when it comes back. I need to disable that feature.

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Something that can't be done on the NH router. It has to use something other than 192.168.100.x That's already in use by the ISP Internal service so it can't be used that's why.  You have to run the NH router 192.168.1.x, 172.x or 10.0.1.x. 

Contact the ISP and have them help you with this. 

Message 6 of 17

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You have to run the NH router 192.168.1.x or 10.0.1.x. 

There is another option. The manual says:

The default LAN IP address scheme for the router is 192.x.x.x.The most common IP schemes are 192.x.x.x,
172.x.x.x, and 10.x.x.x. If you experience a conflict, change the IP scheme either for your home network or
for the network with the client VPN computer. 

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya we know that already but the user is wanting to use 192.168.100.x on the nighthawk router, something that he can't use as that's the internal web services address for the ISP modems web page that the router is connected too. He's setting this on the nighthawk router and when it reboots or looses the connection, it detects this conflict and changes itself to avoid the conflict. The router is working as designed here. So ya the user needs to change his base LAN networking address to avoid this issue.  

Message 8 of 17
Mobyware
Aspirant

Ok. Worked on Comcast. Thank you for the help.
Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What worked on CC? 

Message 10 of 17
Mobyware
Aspirant

The 192.168.100 worked on Comcast. The problem with Comcast is the upload speeds are 300Kbs which makes teleconferencing impossible. This is a remote sight and satellite link is our only option. Starlink is awesome with average speeds 180Mbs download and 20Mbs upload but it can be intermittent at times. It might drop the internet connection for a minute or two, at which time the NH router would change the LAN from 192.168.100 to 192.168.1 and break our network.

The Starlink router is brain dead and cannot be configured to do anything different than change the SSID. Bulletproof for the home user but useless for anything else.

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Using the same modem with CC? 

Message 12 of 17
Mobyware
Aspirant

I didn't need the NH router because the CC router was configurable and could handle fixed IP assignments.

Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

That would be due to there design and having the modem and router built in on there modem would probably work then. Again, if you put there modem in to modem only mode, and use the NG router, the problem will re-appear as there modem also probably uses 192.168.100.1 for the modems web page services which can't be used by an external router. 

Enjoy. 😉

Message 14 of 17

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ya we know that already ...

Why did you leave it out of your explanation and list of acceptable addresses then?

Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Cuz it already was mentioned. 

Message 16 of 17

Nope.

Search for 172.x.x.x

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats