Re: Best Practice For Installing R7000, With An Existing Netgear B90-7550

Tremojem
Aspirant

Best Practice For Installing R7000, With An Existing Netgear B90-7550

I recently installed the R7000 with a Negear Customer Support Representative.

We did not bridge the 7550.

We did not disable the WiFi on the 7550.

We did nothing with security settings or tweaking for best performance.

Is this installation going to serve me, or would I benefit from the following:

Bridge mode for the modem?

Disabling WiFi on the modem?

Review/adjust security settings?

Review/adjust settings "tweak" for best performance?

Thank you.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
TheEther
Guru

It depends on your objective.

If you want to expand your Wi-Fi coverage and can hardwire the R7000 in a separate location where the Wi-Fi signal is desired and is currently weak, then set it up as an Access Point (AP).

If you want to replace the Wi-Fi signal from your 7550 with the signal from your R7000 (the R7000 has far superior range and Wi-Fi technology, though keep in mind that overall speeds will be limited by the speed of your Internet connection), but keep all other routing and firewall functions on the 7550, then once again set up the R7000 as an AP AND disable the Wi-Fi on the 7550.

If you want to use the R7000 for Wi-Fi, routing and firewall functions, then put the 7550 into bridge mode.  This will disable its routing, firewall and Wi-Fi functions.

Message 2 of 6
Tremojem
Aspirant

Here is the skinny on this...I thouht I had replied to this thread earlier today, but I must have made an error...so sorry.

The B90-7550 is located on the second floor, hard wired to a recording studio desktop.

There is no networking cable in the old farm house, that is my home.

DSL runs thru the dwelling, using telephone wire.

The current installation includes the following:

• Network cable connects the R7000 to the 7550.
  • The 7550 is not bridged.
  • All of my devices display all three available networks.
  • I have signed into and connected all networks on all devices.
  • Smart TV does not manage (to my knowledge) networks that are available, so I select the network that had the highest signal level (2.4G).

Ideally, I would love to install the R7000 on the first floor, hard wired to the smart TV and Dish Receiver. This would serve both of them and all of the wireless devices, as typically, the first floor is where these devices are used.

But, I do not think that is possible, as it does not have a modem and I have no way of getting network cable to the first floor.

Here are my concerns:

• Does the current installation take advantage of all of the technical wizardery of the R7000?
  • Have I taken advantage of the security settings?
  • Have I taken advantage of the best in WiFi?
  • Have I taken advantage of the best hard wired configurations?
  • Am I leaving myself vulnerable to anything?

I will say that, since installation, my signal level for the smart TV is almost doubled, and I have not even had time to move the R7000 around the room to get the best practical location for the R7000. My wife and I will use the walkie talkies we use when we fly fish for trout, in that, she will be on the first floor monitoring the signal level indicator on the smart TV, while I am on the second floor moving the R7000 to each of the four corners of the room to determine best practical location for the R7000.

Thank you

Message 3 of 6
TheEther
Guru

@Tremojem wrote:

Ideally, I would love to install the R7000 on the first floor, hard wired to the smart TV and Dish Receiver. This would serve both of them and all of the wireless devices, as typically, the first floor is where these devices are used.

But, I do not think that is possible, as it does not have a modem and I have no way of getting network cable to the first floor.

Do you have any coax installed between the first and second floors?  You can use MoCA adapters.  They basically carry Ethernet over coax.  This would enable you to put the R7000 on the first floor.

Here are my concerns:

• Does the current installation take advantage of all of the technical wizardery of the R7000? 

No.  The modem is not in bridge mode, so you have a undesirable double router setup.  You may not have noticed yet but any devices connected through the modem cannot access devices connected behind the R7000.  You can thank the R7000's firewall for that.  If you want to take advantage of the R7000's advanced features, then you should put the modem into bridge mode.

• Have I taken advantage of the security settings? 

Devices connected behind the R7000 are protected by the R7000.  Devices connected to the modem are not.

• Have I taken advantage of the best in WiFi?

It sounds like you still have devices connecting to the modem's Wi-Fi.  If you plan to keep the R7000 on the second floor, then you should probably shut it off, move any devices wired to the modem behind the R7000 and put the modem into bridge mode.

• Have I taken advantage of the best hard wired configurations?

See above.

Message 4 of 6
Tremojem
Aspirant

Thank you, TheEther

Unfortunately, I do not have coax in the home.

I am going to go out on a limb here and take a stab at the order of events, necessary for me to get this set up correctly.

1. Place 7550 in bridge mode.
  2. Unplug desktop PC from 7550 and connect to R7000. This is the only device that is hard wired to the 7550.
  3. Call Netgear to walk me thru this procedure correctly.

Again, thank you TheEther!

Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Honestly, I would not bother with step 3. Just do your research on step 1. Find a manual or Google the instructions.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements