Re: Best Wireless Settings for Avoiding Bluetooth Conflicts

jasn
Aspirant

Best Wireless Settings for Avoiding Bluetooth Conflicts

Based on recent discussions around WiFi/BT conflicts like these;

https://discussions.apple.com/message/12976433
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1365

I've tried to adjust my R7000 wireless channel settings to avoid clobbering Bluetooth communications here. Nothing has worked permanently. I might get error free BT communications for a while, but it eventually gets clobbered. (BT mouse, BT phone, etc.)

I'm assuming that it's only an issue on the 2.4Ghz band, but I've tried different channel settings on the 5Ghz band as well. I think that I have some legacy WiFi devices here that need the 2.4Ghz band, otherwise I would turn it off completely. So;

1) What have you found are the optimal settings on the 2.4Ghz band for avoiding Bluetooth conflicts?

2) Does running an alternate firmware like DD-WRT offer better options / fine tuning, for avoiding BT conflicts?

Any other advice is welcome.

TIA..
Message 1 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Make sure that router is not close to your computer desktop.

I have use Mac and do not have issues at all. Also this would not be model specific issues for 2.4Ghz. I use different AP
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 12
jasn
Aspirant

I did test changing the distance between the R7000 and my computer. It was worse when I put the R7000 on my desk near my computer, but I still have some WiFi/BT conflicts when the R7000 is in it's normal location, (several rooms away from the office).

I'm just hoping that someone else has seen this problem and has found some settings that reduce the WiFi/BT conflicts as much as possible. Currently I've been running the 2.4Ghz band on channel 10 and the 5Ghz band on 149, and things seem ok so far.

Jason
Message 3 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You are using apple keyboard and mouse on Bluetooth ?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I think it's more a question of hardware than channels. I use a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse and don't have a problem when using 2.4 on 3 PC's It's my understanding the problems are when using 2.4 and Bluetooth.

I have 3 Intel AC7260 clients with BT and don't have a problem.
Message 5 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

On my desk I have an iMac using Bluetooth AND an HP laptop using Bluetooth. They don't interfere with each other at all, or with their wireless connections.
Message 6 of 12
Inolvidable
Aspirant

I had been using a Logitech Wireless mouse and keyboard (wifi 2.4 Ghz) for a long time. One day the DSL company sent a new "dual band n" router and ever since I could barely move my mouse during heavy loads such as lan file transfers or bittorrent use. It was worse over a 40 Mhz channel obviously.

A few weeks later I bought the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 as a work driven device, so I gave the logitech bluetooth mouse and keyboard a try since they can get paired with several devices, changing from one o another on the fly with a manual switch.

I had the exact same interference problem with this bluetooth devices, but I was counting on it, so two days later I bought the Netgear R7000 along with an AC card for my PC, and after connecting everything on 5G not only my interference problems ceased but I got the WiFi speeds I needed as a high quality multimedia heavy user.

To sum it up: I could only completely fix my problem by changing to the 5GHz band. If you are stuck with the 2.4 GHz band you could try setting only 20MHz channels and enabling the Bluetooth compatibility mode that some Wifi cards has in their advanced options.

I hope it helped
Message 7 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

FYI, if the provided router was "dual band" it was capable of 5Ghz as well so you didn't really need the R7000, although you did parlay that into an AC upgrade.
Message 8 of 12
Inolvidable
Aspirant

I know 🙂 . There were more reasons after the purchase of the Netgear R7000 such as WiFi range, Wifi Speeds, USB HDD support, Dynamic DNS, FTP access etc... Thank you for the aclaration though. I understand that my effort to keep the post short could mislead somebody.
Message 9 of 12
jasn
Aspirant

Thanks Inolvidable. You sharing your experience with this issue was exactly the feedback I was looking for. I've actually been on a mission to switch every WiFi device here over to 5G. The only thing I couldn't is a USB WiFi adapter for my TV. (They make an updated one, which does support 5G though).

My only problem with switching the whole house over to 5G is that it doesn't seem to provide as good a range as the 2.4G band. I tested this by putting my Google Nexus 5 phone on the 5G band, and then going to the farthest part of the house. The signal drops to less bars than the 2.4G band shows. Is this normal, or after I switch the 2.4G band off, will the 5G band see similar strength throughout the house?

Anyway, for anyone else trying to sort this issue out on their end, if you have to use 2.4G, the settings I mentioned in my second post seem to have worked out the best. I did end up getting rid of my BT mouse, and replaced them with wired ones, (Evoluent), which helped, but I've been running the R7000 with the 2.4Ghz band on channel 10 and the 5Ghz band on 149, and I have the R7000 on my desk close to my Nexus 5. I can reliably hold a BT connection between it and my Panasonic cordless DECT phone base station in a room about 20 feet away.

Also if anyone knows if by using alternate firmware, this issue can be tuned better, please feel free to post your experience. I've been meaning to try out DD-WRT on my R7000, and if I find anything there, I'll post back.

Good Luck..
Message 10 of 12
Inolvidable
Aspirant

jasn wrote:

My only problem with switching the whole house over to 5G is that it doesn't seem to provide as good a range as the 2.4G band. I tested this by putting my Google Nexus 5 phone on the 5G band, and then going to the farthest part of the house. The signal drops to less bars than the 2.4G band shows. Is this normal, or after I switch the 2.4G band off, will the 5G band see similar strength throughout the house?

That is completely normal. A higher frecuency wave suffers more attenuation through building materials than a lower frecuency one. I read somewere that you can lose a 20-25% of the range on average, but it can vary depending of your building materials, the number of walls between the router and client etc...

This is a mayor drawback for the 5G band. To keep all the speed you could try placing your router somewere in the middle of the house. If that is not possible, you could try a wired connection to a 5G Access Point placed within the low signal area. You could also buy another R7000 and pair them in bridge mode wirelessly, but that is not a cheap option and I have read somewere in the forum that still has issues. There is also the option of an AC wifi repeater, but I think you could lose some speed. Lastly, I have never used the technology that transmits through the electrical installation of the house but, if the speed is good enough it could really help by allowing you to connect the R7000 with an Access Point through wire.

If you are ok with low signal in some areas of the house, you have no problem. If you want to improve that low signal, it always comes at some expense

Good luck
Message 11 of 12
jasn
Aspirant

Thanks again. Ever since I discovered the shorter range on the 5G band I've been researching extenders. I think that the WN3500RP or EX6100 might work for my needs. If anyone has an opinion on which the better performer is, (especially which throws out the strongest 5G signal), please feel free to comment. Unless the EX6200 is vastly superior to both.

BTW, all these WiFi extenders have wired ethernet ports on them. Can I connect the extender to my home network via wired ethernet? Since my signal is weak, and I have some wired ports in that part of the house, it would be an ideal solution. If however, I'm forced to connect the extender to my home network via WiFi, it may just be simpler for me to get an entire new router for that part of the house.

Thanks,

Jason
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E