Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best router solution for Sonos minus Internet

elkasdad
Follower

Best router solution for Sonos minus Internet

I am looking to setup a multi speaker Sonos system that does not require Internet.  I am familiar with some of the "sonos side" considerations including the accessing music when not online, speakers/controller updating and screwing with firmware versions etc.

My question is about the router.  SonosNet has limited range, and I want to spread out half dozen or so Play:1 speakers across a large facility and so think I may be using wifi instead of SonosNet.

I planned to travel with a couple of Airport Extremes, only bc I am familiar with them, but a Sonos forum suggested a NETGEAR Trek N300 Travel Router instead. I really like the small footprint, direct AC plug in, etc. but apparently that router is no longer available.

I like the high power and range of the AC3000 but want to confirm that this thing can serve its own SSID, perhaps also extending that SSID out to another AC3000, so that I can run the Sonos system locally, without internet access.  

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: Best router solution for Sonos minus Internet

Hi elkasdad,

What do you mean if the router serves its own SSID? The router has its own SSID but it does not have a wireless repeating function. You may need an extender to extend the wireless network of the router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi elkasdad,

What do you mean if the router serves its own SSID? The router has its own SSID but it does not have a wireless repeating function. You may need an extender to extend the wireless network of the router.

Message 2 of 3
JamesGL
Master

Hi elkasdad,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7