Re: Best router to control guest BW

baw1977
Aspirant

Best router to control guest BW

Hello all, 

I am hopeing to find some help finding the best router that allows me to control how much bandwith guests are allowed.  we sometimes have 10-15 people come over and each connect to the network and which makes it near impossible to even stream a video.  I would also like a system with the range to reach our Ring security cameras on the corners of the house.  The ground level footprint is only about 1800 sf including the garage (where one of the cameras is located).  Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
microchip8
Master

NETGEAR firmware does not support that. You'll have to look somewhere else if you need this. You can try playing with QoS but I'm not sure if it also applies to Guest network. I had no need for QoS for ages

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 9

With nighthawk routers you can use the nighthawk app to pause devices connection on your network. There's also a tarafic meter where you can data caps for your network you can also setup guest netorks and only give the password for the guest networks and not the main one.
Network products owned WNDR3300 WN3000RPV3 R7450 Dell R610 server A7000
Message 3 of 9
baw1977
Aspirant

Hmmmm, thats disappointing that its not a standard feature of a router.  That seems like a pretty basic thing to be able to do, im surprised its not a common feature on all devices. Thank you for your reply.

Message 4 of 9
baw1977
Aspirant

I will have to look more into this data cap option, that sounds like it might be what im looking for unless it doesnt control speed but only how much data a user can download.  😕   thank you for your help.

Message 5 of 9

It's like putting someone on by the gig cell plan
Message 6 of 9

@baw1977 wrote:

Hmmmm, thats disappointing that its not a standard feature of a router. 

That's the sort of feature you get with "business grade" routers.

Things like that require hardware that is up to the task and firmware that can manage it. Most consumers don't want to pay for bells and whistles like that.

There are regular requests here for the ability to monitor bandwidth user per device, but managing those devices isn't a common request. So why should Netgear add to the cost and complexity of routers when the demand for that is tiny?

Then there is the fact that many users have unlimited data plans, another reason for not wanting to pay for superfluous extras.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 9

It's an option within the nighthawk app it's called tarafic meter. Like if you want the limit to be 6GB then set the MB to 6000.
Message 8 of 9

@Computersystoms wrote:
It's an option within the nighthawk app it's called tarafic meter. Like if you want the limit to be 6GB then set the MB to 6000.

That is a brute force tool for all users. It does not discriminate. Hit the limit and everyone gets cut off. It also works on a period basis, not as a "live" control.

It does not do what @baw1977 asked for.

we sometimes have 10-15 people come over and each connect to the network and which makes it near impossible to even stream a video.

The only way to restrict what other people get is through QoS. Or use the app to shut off other users. Then stand back and wait for them to start screaming.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E