Re: Best secondary router implementation

jchetto
Aspirant

Best secondary router implementation

Hello,

I bought a Nighthawk AC2400 as a secondary router. My main router is a Frontier FiOS (Verizon) model FiOS-G1100. I don't get a good signal upstairs so I bought a Nighthawk AC2400 as a secondary router. I wanted to set it up the new router as a secondary router but I found out that you cannot have 2 routers on one IP adress.  

Also, I just learned that I can set up the secondary router as an Access Point. Would this option give me a better WiFi signal? Ultimately I'm looking for a better signal without having to remove or relocate my FiOS router. I also have a WiFi signal booster (AC1200) 20 feet from my router and the speed is slow. Signal is great, but really slow WiFi. This is why I'm skeptical about setting up the new router as an AP.  

I don't know how to proceed. Could someone help guide me through the set up phase?

Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
microchip8
Master

Can you set your FiOS router/modem in Bridge mode? If so, do it and let the NETGEAR act as the router/wifi device

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 12
PauLita
Luminary

I have exactly the same situation: had for long time R7000 as the main router, and later purchased more advanced R9000. Solution: made R9000 as the main router, and use R7000 as simple Wi Fi repeater. For that there is no need  to reconfigure R7000 - jus connect R7000 LAN1 to R9000 LAN1(!) via ethernet cable and voilà!

Message 3 of 12
jchetto
Aspirant

Unfortunately no. I was told by Frontier that their router needed to have access to an IP adress otherwise I would no DVR or On Demand programing. By setting the FiOS router to bridge mode, it would deactivate some of their features I use.

Message 4 of 12
jchetto
Aspirant

I tried this recently as it screwed up my network. I wasn't able to get any internet. Maybe I plugged the ethernet cable into the WAN line. So what you're saying is (in my situation) to connect the ethernet cable from my modem into the WAN for my new router (AC2400 Nighthawk), then connect my old router (FiOS G1100) from a LAN port inot a LAN port on the new router?

Wouldn't they both be using the same IP adress which wouldn't work?

Message 5 of 12
PauLita
Luminary

In some cases Internet provider requires to use their own router (I had such case for IPTV, You - for DVR or On Demand programing). So there is only one way for You to use AC2400 - connect its LAN to FiOS G1100 LAN. This would make FiOS G1100 work as router and AC2400 - as (additional) WiFi distributor.

Message 6 of 12
microchip8
Master

Usually, when the router detects it is pugged in to another router that already uses the same IP address, the NG router will use another IP address, like 192.168.2.1 or something in the 10.xx.xx.xx range. However, you'll still be in a double NAT situation. Since you can't put your FIOS router in bridge mode, set the NG router to Access Point (AP) mode and let it act as an extender/switch for your devices

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 7 of 12
PauLita
Luminary

Usually, when the router detects it is pugged in to another router that already uses the same IP address

Hmmm... - does it mean that my R7000 is unusual router? - I do repeat: I connected R7000 LAN to R9000 LAN, and R7000 does detect R9000 as router, does get an IP address 192.168.x.x from its DCHP and does work as simple WiFi distributor without any changes in R7000 configuration:

Message 8 of 12
PauLita
Luminary

And, sure - you have to uncheck R7000 "Use Router as DHCP Server"

Message 9 of 12
microchip8
Master

I meant that if the second router is plugged in using the WAN port to the first router, then it'll change IP address. If LAN to LAN with DHCP off or set as AP, it'll work fine 

Message 10 of 12
PauLita
Luminary

So, answer to the primary question "Best secondary router implementation" is - there is no way Man Embarassed

Before purchasing it is necessary to check if Internet provider allows to use different routers. If not, the best solution was to purchase an access point, say Netgear WAC124...

Message 11 of 12
microchip8
Master

Well, I see little reason to get a router if your main router/modem can't be bridged. If you need to extend range, get a WAP. Some people do buy routers to extend range and set them to Access Point mode. Pick one

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E