Best settings for speed

E7m7s7
Tutor

Best settings for speed

Hello,
So I have service with Comcast and I pay for the 1GB DOWN. X 35mps up

On the Comcast wireless. 5ghz router I get between 385-450 mbps on my iPhone 10, and 6S plus,
My iMac I get 550 - 625mbs

I installed my night hawk and these speed I have been able to get us 245mbs

Now both routers are next to each other. Same distance.

The only difference I can see is Comcast router I can adjust the bandwidth 20/40/60/80 etc

But the nighthawk I can’t. I was really hoping the nighthawk would our perform the regular Comcast router but it’s not. Can someone tell me how to push the WiFi speeds to at least what the Comcast router is giving ? Or better!
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 12

Re: Best settings for speed

The first thing to do with a 1000 MBps Internet service is to disable QoS. You don't need it.

There is a manual for the R8000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>>> R8000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<<

Start at page 42.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 12
E7m7s7
Tutor

I did that, and there is still no change
Message 3 of 12
bayoyong
Tutor

Any luck fixing this? I just signed up as well and am not getting the promised speeds. Thx.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 12
E7m7s7
Tutor

Still no luck, I have no reason why I cannot get better than 300 MB on Wi-Fi using the AC technology on my new iPhone X, is there anyone here from netgear they can help me figure out this issue?
Message 5 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi E7m7s7,

What is the speed for wired devices when connected to the router? There two routers in the network which will affect the performance on the 2nd router(connected to the 1st router).

Message 6 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi E7m7s7,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 7 of 12
E7m7s7
Tutor

I have taken the Comcast modem and put it in bridge mode and put everything directly to the net gear router, out of the router I am receiving 783 MB down and 45 MB up, on my new iMac. On my new laptop I am receive an 863 MB down in 47 MB up. Yet if I go over to wireless on any device including my new iPhone X the best that I have yet to receive a 300 MB down.
Message 8 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi E7m7s7,

If you connect the iPhone X to your comcast modem, what is the speed?

Message 9 of 12
com-buddy
Aspirant

I just set up my R8000 direct to 1G wire yesterday and routing out with both cable and wifi and achieved :

Iphone 6 plus: 400Mbps

Samgsung Note 4 : 425 Mbps

Other destops at home only support 2.4G  currently :

2011 iMac  :  130Mbps

Dell 8700 i7 :  945/ 120Mbps (cable/wifi )

HP Pro i5 .   : 968/ 126Mbps (cable/wifi )

I follow all instructions from the web site as I am no techman at all.

Hope this can help.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 10 of 12
com-buddy
Aspirant

I did run into some trouble when I route the signal from my Huawei optical modem which has 4 ports. I realized that only one port have 1G output and rest are 100+ only. So selecting the wrong port may get wrong result in bandwidth in my set up. 

However once I connected the right port, then all 4 ports of R8000 would give out 1G signal.

Message 11 of 12
NickWazz
Initiate

The issue specifically related to your iPhone not achieving speeds of more than 300 mbps is not the routers fault. Most mobile wifi chips are only capable of achieving speeds of 450 mbps under theroretical conditions. You're actually doing pretty well. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E