Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best setup with ISP Modem/Router and R7000 + EX7000?

thomasnicolai
Initiate

Best setup with ISP Modem/Router and R7000 + EX7000?

Hi,

What would you recommend?

Today I have my ISP modem providing IP's and my R7000+EX7000 broadcasting 5 and 2.4 wifi. The SSID has different names = 4 different SSID's.
The R7000 and EX7000 are in AP mode and both are cabled.

Our house is quite big with concrete walls so I need both Netgear products to provide WiFi.

How would you setup the ISP modem, R7000 and EX7000?
s it possible to have phones, laptops etc. always connecting to the strongest signal?

Thanks!

Thomas

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Best setup with ISP Modem/Router and R7000 + EX7000?

If you want, you can configure the R7000 and EX7000 to broadcast a single SSID. Personally, I prefer to have two SSIDs, one for 5 GHz and one for 2.4 GHz.

Make sure there is enough distance between the R7000 and EX7000 so that their Wi-Fi signals do not overlap too much. Some enterprise Wi-Fi guidelines recommend 15% overlapping cell edges at -67 dBm. This will help devices with roaming. Even so, roaming is primarily driven by the device. Unfortunately, most devices are loathe to switch Wi-Fi connections. For example, iOS devices won't even bother looking for a stronger signal until the signal drops to -70 dBm, and even then they won't switch unless the better signal is 8 or 12 dB stronger.  Hence the need to minimize Wi-Fi overlap.  Android, MacOS and Windows have similar behavior.  Ultimately, you can't really expect perfectly seamless roaming.

Source: Apple: About wireless roaming for enterprise

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

If you want, you can configure the R7000 and EX7000 to broadcast a single SSID. Personally, I prefer to have two SSIDs, one for 5 GHz and one for 2.4 GHz.

Make sure there is enough distance between the R7000 and EX7000 so that their Wi-Fi signals do not overlap too much. Some enterprise Wi-Fi guidelines recommend 15% overlapping cell edges at -67 dBm. This will help devices with roaming. Even so, roaming is primarily driven by the device. Unfortunately, most devices are loathe to switch Wi-Fi connections. For example, iOS devices won't even bother looking for a stronger signal until the signal drops to -70 dBm, and even then they won't switch unless the better signal is 8 or 12 dB stronger.  Hence the need to minimize Wi-Fi overlap.  Android, MacOS and Windows have similar behavior.  Ultimately, you can't really expect perfectly seamless roaming.

Source: Apple: About wireless roaming for enterprise

Message 2 of 3
thomasnicolai
Initiate

Thanks - I've installed an app that helps our Android devices switch when the signal passes -65 dB - this works perfect. For our other devices I'll try to work with the overlap.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7