Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

“Beta” Firmware for R8000P (only if you have these issues)

Hi everyone,

We have a new “Beta” firmware for the R8000P but it is only for users with the issues listed below:

=======================================================================

Issue symptom:

Internet/WAN Intermittent disconnection (not wireless disconnections) as well as getting degradation of internet speed over time. Eventually, some users will have to power-cycle the router to get the Internet connection and speed back.

=======================================================================

Here is the link for the “Beta” firmware download:
http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=pUBcfvQytc

*After updating to the beta firmware, please reply back to this thread with your feedbacks*

Thank you! :]

- Jason N

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 251
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: “Beta” Firmware for R8000P (only if you have these issues)

Is there a similar beta firmware for R7900P users? I'm on quite old firmware, because firmware from late last year had the same flaw.

Message 2 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

Betreff: “Beta” Firmware for R8000P (only if you have these issues)

After flash this “Beta” firmware,Everything is fine.

but I can't turn on "remote access"  in netgear genie app (android version)

Can you fix it?

Thanx

Message 3 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

I installed this new beta firmware on Friday. Today, Sunday morning, I had to reboot my router.

In short, this new firmware does not appear to solve the problem.

Not impressed, Netgear.

Message 4 of 251
Highlighted
Master

Hi jikamens and Lawrence0904,

Have you performed a factory reset on the device and manually reconfigure it?

Message 5 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

Have you performed a factory reset on the device and manually reconfigure it? 

No, I haven't. Since when is that necessary when installing a firmware upgrade? Furthermore, there were no instructions included with this beta firmware telling us that we had to do a factory reset on the device and manually configure when installing it. Furthermore, that's not an acceptable solution to this problem. Figure out a way to fix it that doesn't require your users to disrupt their networks by having to do a factory reset and reconfigure?

Stop wasting our time, yo. Fix the bug properly, and have your own QA people do the testing to confirm that it's fixed rather than asking your end users to do it.

Message 6 of 251
Highlighted
Luminary

I have to agree. This whole lore surrounding updates to firmware and mystery "bugs" in settings that cause knock-on issues that only look like firmware issues is stupid. It's just a way of delaying/denying support and hoping that a manual config will somehow avoid firmware bugs.

I find that I often get let down by Netgear products, but eventually buy in again with another product; only to find that the new product has similar engineering issues that the product that caused me disgust before. Not sure why I constantly do that, but it's frustrating.

Message 7 of 251
Highlighted
Initiate

I've had this router for a few months now(purchased on 12/30/2017), and started having to reset it almost daily a couple weeks in. I did a factory reset and upgraded to this beta firmware last Wednesday and it has actually made the problem worse. Ever since I upgraded to this beta firmware, I've had to reboot the router at least 5-6 times per day. Most of the time when the router needs rebooted, the wi-fi networks still show up when searching for networks but nothing can connect or see the router settings, including wired devices. It seems like it just randomly happens, and I'm not sure what's causing it. Sometimes it doesn't happen for hours, and sometimes it happens every thirty minutes. I'm getting really frustrated with this router, as it wasn't exactly cheap. I have friends with cheap routers that hardly ever need rebooted. I'd love some suggestions or a fix for this issue soon, or I'm going to have to replace this router. I've always liked Netgear, but this is ridiculous.
Message 8 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

I went thru this exact issue with the R8000 and support for nearly 4 months.About a hundred emails, numerous calls, and many entire weekends spent on testing. In the end, they said they could not escalate it to engineering as a certain "hidden" webpage could not be accessed (said site doesn't exist in your source code either....), and that they had no other reports of contunially diminishing speeds....   Wound up going with Advaced Tomato firmware, which got the TUN vpn server working perfectly (my other issue), and have been pulling full speeds for over a month with ZERO reboots. 

No it's not the firmware, it's your computer, your network, your modem, your provider, your cords. Do what, you used someone elses firmware and it works fine?!?  I honestly was waiting on your "support department" to blame my cat...  Fix your buggy code, or just go into the white box business, and let someone more "experienced" write the software. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 9 of 251
Highlighted
Star

Let me preface my comments with this: we (the user base) understand the need to rigorously test firmware prior to release. Now, on to my grumblings.

I purchased my router for business use and cannot afford to risk downtime to beta test firmware. If it breaks my router will you be ovenighting me a new one, or sending someone out to fix it? Or am I expected to take time off of work to rebuild it. You are charging for a product yet expect the benefits of community involvement that come with open source software. You can't have it both ways. And do "offer" me the business class warranty. I'm not looking for an enterprise grade product, I just have a reasonable expectation that when I click update, it won't break my >$200 router.

There are many vendors that offer routers with similar funcitonality. If you want to set yourself apart it needs to be in reliability and customer service. Come on Netgear. Totally unsat.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 10 of 251
Highlighted

I have the same problems as most of the R8000P users in this forum with loosing wifi connectivity. My wife and kids are annoying me and give me a hard time to fix the problem. I have read several threads and most of the people have suggestions to downgrade the firmware. I have downgraded to R8000P-V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 and this seems to be the most "stable" firmware for the moment. But... How about all security fixes that have been added on the later firmwares?? Your router is open to everyone who like to play around in your router... It is a shame that Netgear has not taken their responsibilities to fix this issue. I will not reecommend Netgear to other buyer who is needs to buy a new router... When I bought for this expensive router I thought that this router will work flawless... 

Message 11 of 251
Highlighted

I’ve had this router for 2 weeks and have to reset it every two days. Very disappointed and will probably be returning it an never using another netgear product again.
Message 12 of 251
Highlighted
Guru

@purescripts the firmware offered in the post #1 is of no help?

@JasonN I'm really buffed on how Netgear's Consumer Business Unit does struggle getting long time issues we see all over this forum addressed within reasonable time. A similar thread ref. the R7000(P) started late 2017 is still open and users are still having similar issues. Is the top management aware of what is (not) going on here? It can't be new users return new routers and are lost for the Netgear brand for years.

Message 13 of 251
Highlighted
Guru

@purescripts the firmware offered in the post #1 is of no help?

@JasonN I'm really buffed on how Netgear's Consumer Business Unit does struggle getting long time issues we see all over this forum addressed within reasonable time. A similar thread ref. the R7000(P) started late 2017 is still open and users are still having similar issues. Is the top management aware of what is (not) going on here? It can't be new users return new routers and are lost for the Netgear brand for years.

And again @JasonN - as it was asked above - is there a chance for a similar "Beta" build for the R7900P model? In hours or a day - not in late summer of 2018?

Message 14 of 251
Highlighted

@schumaku : Apparently the beta firmware was taken down as the link above doesn't have a file associated with it. So in short I still have a broken product.

Message 15 of 251
Highlighted
Initiate

This router is buggy at best. I bought it a few weeks ago and almost daily I must power down to get the unit to reconnect.
No LED errors, LEDS light like its working fine and it drops BOTH wired and wireless PCs on the unit.
I dont know why I dont learn my lesson with NETGEAR ROUTERS. My 7800 failed after 14 months with the wireless totally crapping out.
NETGEAR products are frustrating. Ill be returning to Best Buy tomorrow. ENOUGH!

Message 16 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

I was asked for file code after clicked download.  I am suffering this issue so would like to try this beta version.

Message 17 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

forgot to mention, my router is R8000.

Message 18 of 251
Highlighted
Initiate

It seems to me like they removed the beta firmware from public downloads a few days ago.. Maybe(Hopefully) they're going to release an actual fix soon. This firmware didn't fix the issue for me(and most). I really think it made the problem worse.
Message 19 of 251
Highlighted

After running couple of days now on R8000P-V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 I haven’t suffered any connection problems at all. I have also activated smart connect and mu-mimo. Try these settings and perhaps you will have a stable router. Please post me if you experience the same thing. Now I will let my router be for a long time.
Message 20 of 251
Highlighted
Initiate

Took the 8000P back to Best Buy last night and purchased a network wireless .
BEST THING I EVER DID! Twice the speed (400MB) and set up incredibly easy in less than 10 minutes. TRULY plug and play. LOVE IT!.
Signing off for good on Netgear.

Message 21 of 251
Guide

If you have an R8000 and not an R8000P, then this firmware is not for your router. If you have an R8000 and are experiencing continually diminishing download speeds, might I sugggest the advaced tomato firmware, which is available freely and has had success with correcting both the speed and TUN vpn issues.
Message 22 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you for your suggestion.

Message 23 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

What router did you purchase?

Message 24 of 251
Highlighted

R8000P Nighthawk X6S - AC4000 Tri Band is the router that I purchased and is broken
Message 25 of 251
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements