Highlighted
Tutor

Re: “Beta” Firmware for R8000P (only if you have these issues)

Hi All,

I have started to use the Linksys EA9300 router (which has a 1.8Ghz guad core processor) and it is working quite well in term of quality and consistency of wi fi speeds. Much better than the the Netgear R8000P. The EA9300 looks good too, though the R8000P is in a class of its own when it comes to looks.

Message 76 of 251
Highlighted
Master

Hi All,

Please check this KB article if you are encountering intermittent connection using the R8000P.

https://kb.netgear.com/000056564/R8000P-Intermittent-WAN-and-WiFi-Disconnects-Issue

Message 77 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

Still doesn’t work. Still getting intermittent connectivity especially when gaming. Latency ranges from 30ms up to 600ms.
Message 78 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

Hi All,

The version I've found to offer the best balance of wi fi speeds and low latency and low frequency of wi fi disconnects/drops is version 

V1.3.0.4_1.1.96

I've found the version they are recommending as a temp fix to not work well at all. Wi fi speeds and latency are quite poor with this version.

Message 79 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Pingili wrote:

The version I've found to offer the best balance of wi fi speeds and low latency and low frequency of wi fi disconnects/drops is version 

V1.3.0.4_1.1.96

I've found the version they are recommending as a temp fix to not work well at all. Wi fi speeds and latency are quite poor with this version.

1.3.0.4 has the problem this thread is about.

If you are able to use 1.3.0.4 without your router locking up every 1-2 days, then you don't have the problem this thread is about, you have a different problem.

Message 80 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi All,

Please check this KB article if you are encountering intermittent connection using the R8000P.

https://kb.netgear.com/000056564/R8000P-Intermittent-WAN-and-WiFi-Disconnects-Issue

I have been using this version for a couple weeks now and have not had the issue re-occur. 

Message 81 of 251
Highlighted

I have been rebooting daily  and have been reluctant to try   some of the fixes or logging firmware changes because when it is working the speeds and latency have been very good.  If I downgrade will I get similar speeds?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 82 of 251
Highlighted
Master

@Bunny17 wrote:

My second question is, has anybody installed OpenWRT on this router and would you recommend it?

If you check supported routers on Openwrt you will find that the r8000p is not listed. So I would say no. I have a r8000, actually 2, and have thought about trying Openwrt/LEDE on one of them. When I do research it appears there are wireless driver issues and they have to use an open source driver the last I knew because of licensing required to run the Netgear drivers. Looks like you also have to install via serial cable so not feeling energetic enough to break one of them open and install just to find out it does not perform well. If you are wondering about DD-WRT and drivers, Brainslayer has a license to use the drivers and DD-WRT runs well on my r8000, but he does not currently have a build available for the r8000p although rummer has it he is working on it. 

Maybe someone from Netgear could clarify Openwrt and can they use the Netgear drivers. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 83 of 251
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi myersw,

We cannot recommend anything with Openwrt because that is not our product. :]

- Jason N

Message 84 of 251
Highlighted
Master

Understand. Figured as much. Smiley Wink

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 85 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@myersw wrote:

@Bunny17 wrote:

My second question is, has anybody installed OpenWRT on this router and would you recommend it?

If you check supported routers on Openwrt you will find that the r8000p is not listed. So I would say no. I have a r8000, actually 2, and have thought about trying Openwrt/LEDE on one of them. When I do research it appears there are wireless driver issues and they have to use an open source driver the last I knew because of licensing required to run the Netgear drivers. Looks like you also have to install via serial cable so not feeling energetic enough to break one of them open and install just to find out it does not perform well. If you are wondering about DD-WRT and drivers, Brainslayer has a license to use the drivers and DD-WRT runs well on my r8000, but he does not currently have a build available for the r8000p although rummer has it he is working on it. 

Maybe someone from Netgear could clarify Openwrt and can they use the Netgear drivers. 

Thanks meyersw, I figured out the same thing. I don't use the R8000P anymore and I try to sell it, but nobody wants it. I can't have a router that needs re-booting several times a day. My network is not working, my home security is not working, my cameras are not working, my remote control thermostat is not working etc. They (Netgear) are now suggesting to downgrade the firmware so the router becomes vulnerable to KRACK. Geniuses.

With Asus RT-AC86U you can use Merlin...

Message 86 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

Several folks over at the DD-Wrt fourm have went the same route including myself,

my issue was with the Wrt3200Acm and the wireless support of Marvel and Linksys,or I should say the lack of.

But a girl has to do what a girl has to do!!!

Good luck what ever ya do!!

Mark

{2} Asus RT-AC86U Merlin 384.5
X4S R7800 / kongat r35965M left by the way of craig's list
Message 87 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

I click to download the Beta Firmware and it tells me the file does not exist. What gives. This is insane! There has to be a fix because resetting the router constantly is not a solution.

Message 88 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

This problem just started for me this week. I have to re-power up my router and then restart my because the repowering my router doesnt work. I have to do this everyday, and at first I thought it was my internet provider to find out its my router. I purchased my router in 2015 and have never had issues with it until now. Is there a fix for the router im using?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 89 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

Netgear has released a new beta firmware version which they (once again) claim fixes this issue:

https://kb.netgear.com/000058267/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-4-0-8-Hot-Fix

I have installed it and will report back if it fails.

Message 90 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

Jikamens - thanks for posting this update. You would think Netgear would do a better job alerting all of us to this long-awaited firmware fix. I also downloaded it and it seems to working quite well. Wireless speeds have not only improved but are consistently faster. Wired speeds also seem consistently fast. I opted to have firmware be updated automatically when available. Given Netgear's chequered history with updates, I hope I am not going to regret this! 

Message 91 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

It failed. I had to reboot my router again this morning. I've once again downgraded the firmware back to V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 so that it wouldn't hang every two days.

Way to go, Netgear.

Message 92 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

Way to go indeed! No problems on my end so far, but I just bought a brand new Linskys AC 4000 EA 9300 to keep on the side in case I need it as a replacement! 

Message 93 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

Anybody can update anything about the latest firmware?

Message 94 of 251
Highlighted

Hi, i have run this new hot fix R8000P-V1.4.0.8_1.2.12_beta.chk for couple of days now and it seems to be stable and working .Little early to say. I will report again after one week and let you know.
Message 95 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Johnny12345 wrote:

Anybody can update anything about the latest firmware?

Hi,

I decided to intall the new hotfix R8000P-V1.4.0.8_1.2.12_beta.chk, since I have not been able to sell this crappy router. When you install it, it will ask for permission to send logfiles to Netgear and to allow automatic updates. I allowed both. At first there were problems with most of my devices not connecting to the internet and I had to re-boot the router several times in the first day. Now it has been running ok for a couple of days, but it is too early to tell if it works. There is no improvement in speed.

Message 96 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

Ive tried this firmware, after a few days my speeds still die on both wifi and lan.

So my partial fix for the "Official firmware" drop outs was to reserve IPs for all my devices, that seemed to curb alot of drop outs, but speeds still dropped down .  My service is supposed to run on average at 975/40 mbps, alot of times the router will only pump 100/38 until a reboot. This morning with the hotfix installed I got 100/2, after quick reboot 854/41

Message 97 of 251
Highlighted
Master

Makes me all the happier using a Asus rt-ac86u in place of the r8000p. No issues with it running Merlin firmware. Netgear does not seem to be able to fix some very basic issues right now. The r8000 with Kong dd-wrt on it runs without issue. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 98 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

@myersw wrote:

Makes me all the happier using a Asus rt-ac86u in place of the r8000p. No issues with it running Merlin firmware. Netgear does not seem to be able to fix some very basic issues right now. The r8000 with Kong dd-wrt on it runs without issue. 

I to thought the r8000p was the router for me until I found a thread over on dd-wrt forum that linked me to this thread.

Way to many complaints for me to ignore!!, allthough not even close to the Linksys/ Marvell fiasco I put myself in with the Wrt 3200acm last year, so I put the breaks on quickly

as far as the r8000p goes.

I to went with the Asus rt-ac86u, and all I can say is it works!! flawlessly I might add.

And to boot Micro Center put them on sale thru the end of May  https://tinyurl.com/yd2ltoll , maybe if things are ever sorted out and Brainslayer gets around to writing some code for it things will change, but right now I'm a happy camper!!!

{2} Asus RT-AC86U Merlin 384.5
X4S R7800 / kongat r35965M left by the way of craig's list
Message 99 of 251
Highlighted

I have now rum the R8000P-V1.4.0.8_1.2.12_beta.chk for one week and I experience WiFi drop once a day and need to restart the router. So this hot fix is not helping at all. So netgear need to find the real root cause to this problem because my patience is soon running out and then I will buy a asus router instead and scrap the Netgear R8000P once for all...
Message 100 of 251
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements