Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: “Beta” Firmware for R8000P (only if you have these issues)

@Sniperman74 wrote:

Is this now the firmware everyone have been waiting for?  Can this be the salvation of all headache and several hour of upgrading and down grading of hotfixes during the last six month? I am expectant of those users that have been changes to 1.4.0.10_1.2.14. Please share your results because I am so tired of changing the firmware... 

I installed the new firmware and it was running for 48 hours without disconnecting, then the wifi slowed to a crawl and internet was disconnected. The only devices connected were 2 phones and a laptop on which I was working. No streaming. I re-booted the router and the devices were reconnected. The new firmware version doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Message 126 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

I, also, installed the newest firmware two days ago, and then had to reboot my router this morning when the network (both wired and wireless) slowed to a crawl and became unusable.

So no, this new firmware does not fix the problem.

!@#$%

Message 127 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

I've been running firmware V1.4.0.10_1.2.14 since the day it was recently released and have not had ANY issues at all with connectivity via LAN nor wireless. I'm using the Netgear C7000 as my cable modem along with an EX8000 extender, as well. All is good for a few days now.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 128 of 251
Highlighted

Well the new firmware installed and within 24 hours it started dropping internet connection again.
Message 129 of 251
Highlighted
Master

@Edwardlotz wrote:
Well the new firmware installed and within 24 hours it started dropping internet connection again.

The more I hear these reports the more I am glad I have the Asus rt-ac86u.

I think the r8000p I own will be going on Ebay soon. There does not seem to be any hope for it. No Netgear firmware worth running and Brainslayer over at DD-WRT has not kicked out a firmware build for it yet. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 130 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

Dear Netgear, 

I want to send my R8000p back and have it exchanged for something thats equal or greater in price. I can no longer put up with the inconsistency of this firmware, its either dropping offline or the speeds dyeing. Im supposed to have roughly 975 down/40 up on average. Typically my speeds with this router when it starts to fail 100/2mbps. I just went back to my old R7000 router and im getting at least 450-500 down and 40 up.

This has become such a joke. As some of the other recent posts stated. I want some action, preferably a refund or a newer, stable model. Im also considering a class action suit for the state of Maryland. Ive already submitted a complaint to the BBB. 

Please PM me with your intentions, hopefully we can resolve this before it gets messy.

Message 131 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

Unfortunately, I began having wireless connectivity issues last night, with no/very slow internet. I rebooted my whole system this morning and it became usable again. My biggest concern revolves around security, as I have wireless security cameras along with an internet connected NVR security system.

If I can’t rely on my modem and router to provide a solid and stable internet connection, it becomes a matter of security for my family, home and property. There has to be a better solution for these connectivity issues. I urge Netgear to put a much higher priority on reliability for this model, even at the expense of some of it’s speed. I would rather have my system stable and not have to worry about whether my system goes down when I’m out of my home, thereby rendering my security cameras useless.
Message 132 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Ferroid wrote:
Unfortunately, I began having wireless connectivity issues last night, with no/very slow internet. I rebooted my whole system this morning and it became usable again. My biggest concern revolves around security, as I have wireless security cameras along with an internet connected NVR security system.

If I can’t rely on my modem and router to provide a solid and stable internet connection, it becomes a matter of security for my family, home and property. There has to be a better solution for these connectivity issues. I urge Netgear to put a much higher priority on reliability for this model, even at the expense of some of it’s speed. I would rather have my system stable and not have to worry about whether my system goes down when I’m out of my home, thereby rendering my security cameras useless.

Ferroid, I have the same problem. I installed the new firmware and it is not improved in any way. My security system and cameras rely on wifi connection. The security system is designed to send signal to the police department in the event of break in. This is obviously not working when the router disconnects. I also have a phone that I use with wifi only and that stops working. The router has to be re-booted every day. It happens suddenly. One minute I send emails, next minute internet is disconnected. Very frustrating. The only response from Netgear has been a private message asking for my name and phone number. I am still waiting for somebody to contact me regarding the complaints I have filed.

Message 133 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

I wonder if this issue is happening with the new Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router, Model: R9000?  I would be willing to try it as it is a matter of security for my family and property.  Does anyone have any experience with the X10?

Message 134 of 251
Highlighted

I just bought the R9000 to replace the internet dropping R8000P I bought last December.  The R9000 has been up a week with no internet drops. I have heard from users that internet speeds seem to be less over the 2.5 network band then the R8000P but I get a stronger 5 network band signal.  Wish I could get a refund on my R8000P. The R9000 was almost twice as much. I have so much invested in routers now with the R8000P being an expensive doorstop now. 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 135 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

Currently my R8000P is extremely stable, only needs a reset once per month. 

It even uses a DLNA hard drive on it for video on demand, but I leave the QoS and remote administrator off.

I'm using firmware: V1.3.0.10_1.2.2

And I'm wary of upgrading to 1.4.0.10_1.2.14 because of this thread. In fact, I refuse to upgrade the firmware till a version people enjoy the stability with. I know there's a supposed botnet out there taking advantage of older firmware on R8000P, but if I have to allow a small botnet on my device but I keep stability. #WorthIt LOL

Message 136 of 251
Highlighted

I have been kicked out from the community by locking my account (Sniperman74) and I wonder why. Is it because the negative approach regarding the continious firmwares that they don´t fix the problems. I have also experinces that the both wired and wireless slowed to a crawl and became unusable with the latest firmware V1.4.0.10_1.2.14. This router is going back to the store and I will change to another brand. 

Message 137 of 251
Highlighted
Master

@Leixicon wrote:

Currently my R8000P is extremely stable, only needs a reset once per month. 

Good hardware/firmware should not require a reset once a month. Only time I reset my Asus ac86u is when Merlin puts out a new firmware, otherwise, it just works. Netgear really needs to get its firmware sorted out. My Netgear r8000 and r8000p are on shelf gathering dust. From what I can determine from the forums is the Netgear r7800 is the only router to even consider if you are staying with Netgear.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 138 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the R7900, not P version. It’s been up over a year.
Message 139 of 251
Highlighted
Master

I do really wonder who is at fault with the r8000  and r8000p firmware wise. Netgear gets the drivers from Broadcomm so is it the drivers Netgear are given the problem or is it the code Netgear writes to go with the drivers? In any case it needs to be sorted out. As I have said before here, the r8000 and r8000p I own are sitting on shelf unplugged and the Asus RT-AC86U just runs, no issues. Does not need a reboot nor does it drop connections. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 140 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

I agree. I can no longer wait around for Netgear to get their act together. I can't believe that they are still selling these routers knowing that there are firmware issues. If they can't fix these firmware issues then we, as consumers,  should be allowed to return them for a refund as long as we have proof of purchase. There must be a "lemon" law that covers this. I don't want a credit to purchase another Netgear product. I, like others, have moved on. I purchased an Asus RT-AC5300 and it runs great. I installed the Merlin firmware as well. I initially had some problems with it co-existing with my Netgear EX8000 extender but was able to resolve those issues so now it's running like a fine tuned engine. I can't believe how full featured and configurable the Asus routers are. I feel much more confident that my home network is secure. I also read that some Asus routers have been added to the list of routers effected by the VPN Filter malware. The article also said that didn't apply to those routers running the Merlin firmware. I basically turned on every security feature available (at least the ones that made sense for me) and have experienced no issues. I have yet to have to reboot the router nor do I experience dropped connections or bandwidth issues. So my R8000P is just sitting in my closet all boxed up.

Message 141 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am also on V1.3.0.10_1.2.2 and can report it has been stable on both of my R8000Ps. One of them is my main router connected to the FiOS ONT & the other is set up as a bridge. I find this thread shocking & I am now afraid of upgrading to the latest FW. 

I don't need to reset my R8000Ps at all & have rarely found the need to since I bought them back in Feb.

Those habe been my findings so far. Regardless, this appears to be a huge issue that Netgear fails to address & I hope for all of ya'll sakes that they do.

Message 142 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

@Ferroid wrote:

I had to reboot my entire WAN/LAN again yesterday. (R8000P, EX8000, C7000 and 8-port Netgear Auto Switch)

Just to clarify some of my settings:

I use the R8000P in Router Mode

I am using Smart Connect

I use Auto Channel on 2.4GHz

Channel 40 on 5GHz-1

Channel 153 on 5GHz-2

I am NOT using Dynamic QoS

I am using WMM on all three channels

Guest Network is disabled

I do NOT enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence

I enable Implicit BEAMFORMING

I enable AIRTIME FAIRNESS

I enable MU-MIMO

I don't use a VPN or VLan

I think all other settings are at their defaults, other than my password, of course.

Also, there are only two other wireless networks that I detect in my area as we are fairly secluded.

Message 143 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

I   am using  Firmware Version  V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 .

This has been in place since 25 May 2018.   I do see/experince interrupts in service ( ~ ala internet radio will drop off, then back on several times); I began to notice this occuring more frequently, hence my looking again to the site to see if any one solved the problem.

I DO have older release/backup versions, yet then one begins to encounter potential securty issues that have been part of the Community's discussion for the last two months.

So, What is one to do ?  Awaiting a fix/firmware upgrade by Netgear.   Buying a NEW router to solve the problem w/o any increase in performace or functionality does not seem to pass my common sense test.

Nighthawk X6 R8000      user ( for some time now)

Thanks

A fix would be Excellent, no?

Message 144 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

Does anyone know if firmware v1.4 has DFS channels enabled on 5 GHz?
Message 145 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

Has anyone tried the new beta firmware R8000P-V1.4.1.12_1.2.16
They call it a EU compliance hotfix, but you know hotfixes aren't really made for "compliance"
I'm thinking about giving it a try to see if any improvement has been made (even if it's not in the patch notes).

Message 146 of 251
Highlighted
Master

@MALiiBU wrote:
Does anyone know if firmware v1.4 has DFS channels enabled on 5 GHz?

Good way to find out. Install and see. Then report for others 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 147 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@scsouders wrote:

Dear Netgear, 

I want to send my R8000p back and have it exchanged for something thats equal or greater in price. I can no longer put up with the inconsistency of this firmware, its either dropping offline or the speeds dyeing. Im supposed to have roughly 975 down/40 up on average. Typically my speeds with this router when it starts to fail 100/2mbps. I just went back to my old R7000 router and im getting at least 450-500 down and 40 up.

This has become such a joke. As some of the other recent posts stated. I want some action, preferably a refund or a newer, stable model. Im also considering a class action suit for the state of Maryland. Ive already submitted a complaint to the BBB. 

Please PM me with your intentions, hopefully we can resolve this before it gets messy.

scsouders,

Have you received any response from Netgear? I also filed a complaint with BBB and on 6/11 I received a message from Netgear asking for my phone number. I thought it was ridicilous since my phone number and other info was in the complaint, but I submitted my cell phone number and told them to call me anytime. So far nobody has called.

On 6/16 I received an email "Priority Escalation Update" where Netgear is asking me to install firmware 1.4.0.8_1.2.12 and provide them with an update! I had already explained to them in my complaint that I had tried all available versions and went as far back as to 1.1.4.6_1.1.85 to find anything that works!

I'm telling you folks, a 5-year old could handle the customer service better than these idiots. So, now they are waiting for ME to give them an update!!! While they have not done anything to fix the problem!!

I am now going to file a complaint with the FTC. I really want my money back for this piece of junk.

Message 148 of 251
Highlighted

I literally bought this product broken and a firmware has yet to be released that fixes the issue. It’s been 6 months +. Total embarrassment as a company and a product. I would also like my money back or an equivalent different product that works. I had to downgrade to an old version, which still has issues keeping account of my ports and constantly forgets what I set them too as well as doesn’t have them listed to the point that I’d have to reflash the entire firmware to fix. So terrible. I just hope that no one else gets tricked into this product. Literally you by a near $300 brick. Buyers beware do not purchase this model at this time or you will have to manually unplug the device every two days with current firmware or downgrade to an old version that has more defects and security flaws.
Message 149 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ive been running the new beta firmware R8000P-V1.4.1.12_1.2.16 since release date 11 June without any WiFi drops or reboot. All other firmwares have caused WiFi drops for me. 

Message 150 of 251
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements