Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: “Beta” Firmware for R8000P (only if you have these issues)

Where did you get that beta firmware? It's not in the Netgear support page.
Message 151 of 251
Highlighted

I also can’t find a link. I looked under the beta forums and nothing there. Can some put a link please, I would like to try asap. I need to send back the R9000 by the 28th if the R8000P will finally work. Thanks
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 152 of 251
Highlighted

https://kb.netgear.com/000059133/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-4-1-12-Hot-Fix
This is the beta the other guy was talking about
Message 153 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've been running the new Beta V1.4.1.12_1.2.16 hotfix now for three days. 

Have not needed to reboot at all. No latency problems. Still leaving QoS off.

Every day I transmit an average of 100 Gigabytes a day via wi-fi from streaming 1080P tv on five devices all at once. 

So far so good with this new beta firmware, except for one issue:

Currently the router is not recognizing the attached USB WD hard drive, when the hard drive was being recognized with older firmware. Hopefully can find a work around soon.

Message 154 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

Can anyone else confirm the V1.4.1.12_1.2.16 fixes the issues? I unfortunately cannot swap out versions on my R8000P and need it up and running as long as possible and have been running an older version until this gets resolved. 

Message 155 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

Been running the current beta firmware for two days without any issues, so far.
Message 156 of 251
Highlighted
Master

@Ferroid wrote:
Been running the current beta firmware for two days without any issues, so far.

Unfortunately with the number of releases coming out, current beta means nothing. Please provide version info not just an arbitrary current beta. This would be most helpful for others since you say this is working for you. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 157 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

Firmware Version
V1.4.1.12_1.2.16
Message 158 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@bwhite94 wrote:

Can anyone else confirm the V1.4.1.12_1.2.16 fixes the issues? I unfortunately cannot swap out versions on my R8000P and need it up and running as long as possible and have been running an older version until this gets resolved. 

bwhite94,

The V1.4.1.12_1.2.16 is the worst of all versions I have tried (about 8 versions now I think). It didn't even last 24 hours before it disconnected. There is also a bug in it, so when you name all 3 networks the same, the router should connect with the best signal of the 3 to your devices, but it doesn't do that. It broadcasts all 3 networks even if you check the option to have one name only. You have to manually pick the network on each device. The earlier versions didn't have this problem.

This newest version "hot fix" got really bad and kept dropping internet every 15-20 minutes when I only had one laptop connected and tried to do some work. The Netgear customer support has asked me to send debug logs, which I have, but it is a waste of time. If they had some smart people doing the code, they could figure out what's causing the problem, since most of us have noticed that v. 1.1.4.6_1.1.85 is stable. Their customer support is absolutely useless. They have also told me that they will not refund my money. They offered to send a replacement, but if it has the same bugs, it doesn't make any sense. Now they keep jerking me around until the warranty expires and then they are not dealing with it anymore.

I also read reviews for other new Netgear models and they have the same issue. Otherwise I would ask them to send an other model.

I have spend way too many hours on this piece of junk and too much money. I even purchased a brand new top of the line modem just to make sure it wasn't part of the problem. All my coax cables are new and high quality. It is the damn router.

Message 159 of 251
Highlighted

We’re do you find v . 1.1.4.6_1.1.85 firmware. I have not seen that mentioned. I installed the V1.4.1.12_1.2.16 yesterday and so far it is looking better than before. I did see the issue with 3 different WiFi even though I had the smart connect chosen. I fixed that by resetting the router. Turning on smart connect first. Then made the change to the 2.4 ghz name and password. It then carried both to the 5ghz 1and2 and only had one show up in WiFi settings. This is a bug.
Message 160 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Edwardlotz wrote:
We’re do you find v . 1.1.4.6_1.1.85 firmware.

Go to https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R8000P.aspx#download and click on "View Previous Versions" at the bottom.

Message 161 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

@Bunny17
Sounds like it might be a laptop compatibility or antenae problem.

I've been on beta version for a week now
V1.4.1.12_1.2.16

Have not needed to restart router a single time, and over 25 devices are connected to it all day long.

Message 162 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Leixicon wrote:

@Bunny17
Sounds like it might be a laptop compatibility or antenae problem.

I've been on beta version for a week now
V1.4.1.12_1.2.16

Have not needed to restart router a single time, and over 25 devices are connected to it all day long.

@Leixicon

No it is not a laptop or antenna (what antenna?) problem. I have 3-4 computers, a couple of tablets, two HDTVs, security system, a few phones, several cameras, a backup server, home theater, DVD, Bluray, etc. and none of these devices can connect when the damn router disconnects from the internet. It freezes up and has to be rebooted. I now went back to v.1.1.4.6_1.1.85 which is stable. Netgear has admitted this as well if you read their advice in some other postings regarding R8000P.

By the way, I installed the officially released v1.4.1.12_1.2.16 as recommended by Netgear, not the beta version. And good for you if it's working, but you are not helping anybody.

Message 163 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

And the Saga continues, I have made up my mind to add Netgear to my list of companys to avoid like the plague along with Linksys!!!

I had a 7800 but my Asus Rt-Ac86U's are every bit as fast and I can run Merlin on them, so the r7800 went bye bye on Craigs list.

Netgear needs to step to the plate and replace the units that people are having proublems  with, by replacing them with equal or better units.

To keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different out come, that is insane!!!

Mark

{2} Asus RT-AC86U Merlin 384.5
X4S R7800 / kongat r35965M left by the way of craig's list
Message 164 of 251
Highlighted
Master

@Mark1958 wrote:

And the Saga continues, I have made up my mind to add Netgear to my list of companys to avoid like the plague along with Linksys!!!

Mark

I totally agree. Netgear used to be my go to vendor, but not anymore after a r8000 and r8000p. The Asus rT-AC86U just runs with Merlin firmware. No issues of any kind. What a difference from the Linksys WRT's and the above r8000 and r8000p. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 165 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

I gave up on my R8000p, im using my cable companys XB6 modem with wifi, installed a cheap Zyzel switch and all is rosie.Im getting consistent speeds and no drops
Message 166 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

Were some posts deleted? Can't find mine on here now...

If it were, that is just poor Customer Service...

Message 167 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

@KraziJoe wrote:

Were some posts deleted? Can't find mine on here now...

If it were, that is just poor Customer Service...

Yes they went and deleted a bunch of post’s, I guess they don’t like it when customers post negative statements about their products that don’t work as advertised!!!!

At least when I posted on Linksys site back a few months ago they didn’t deleat people’s posts good bad or other.

{2} Asus RT-AC86U Merlin 384.5
X4S R7800 / kongat r35965M left by the way of craig's list
Message 168 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

Unfortunately, I returned home from work this afternoon and found that I had no internet connection on my wired office computer and rebooted ONLY the R8000P by unplugging it from the electrical power outlet. Once I plugged it back in, and after about two minutes, I got the connection back online.  I also had some IP reservations saved for my IP security cameras and a couple of them wouldn’t reconnect so I had to re-establish the camera connections to the NVR.

Message 169 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

I spoke to Level 2 Support yesterday as they reached out to me about the issues I've been encountering with my R8000P. I loaded the latest beta version 1.4.1.23 when it became available two days ago. I was instructed by support to perform a reset of my router back to factory defaults. I did, using the reset button on the back panel. I left all of the settings at factory defaults other than the admin login password and the SSID and password. Unfortunately, since then, I have had to reboot my router twice in the two days following the firmware update, once even after the reset, because I lost my WAN connection to the internet. I tried to contact support by phone yesterday with no success.

Last night, I downgraded my firmware back to version 1.1.4.6 because I need the stability back as I’m unable to spend any more time on this. I’ll just have to wait until there’s a permanent fix to the firmware sometime in the future, or maybe I’ll just keep it at the older version.

Message 170 of 251
Highlighted

I have run my Asus RT-AC87U for one week and What a relief. No problem with down time and WiFi interrupt. As you see is the Netgear don’t have any interest to fix the problems. I finally after several months took my sense to contact the store were I bought the r8000p. There were no problems to get refund thought I bought the router in November 2017. Be wise and get rid of the not working Netgear router and go over to ASUS where they take care of the customers
Message 171 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Sniperman1974 wrote:
I have run my Asus RT-AC87U for one week and What a relief. No problem with down time and WiFi interrupt. As you see is the Netgear don’t have any interest to fix the problems. I finally after several months took my sense to contact the store were I bought the r8000p. There were no problems to get refund thought I bought the router in November 2017. Be wise and get rid of the not working Netgear router and go over to ASUS where they take care of the customers

You are so lucky to get a refund. Most of us are not in the same situation. I'm surprised nobody has gone ballistic at their headquarters in San Jose yet. Their so called engineers are incompetent rookies and the customer service is like a slap in the face. They seem to think that nobody has anything else to do than capturing their f....ing bug files!! They keep jerking us around until the warranty expires. I wonder what happened with the law suit?

Look at all the other Netgear models and read the reviews, they all have the same freaking problems!! How can they even stay in business?

Message 172 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Ferroid wrote:

I spoke to Level 2 Support yesterday as they reached out to me about the issues I've been encountering with my R8000P. I loaded the latest beta version 1.4.1.23 when it became available two days ago. I was instructed by support to perform a reset of my router back to factory defaults. I did, using the reset button on the back panel. I left all of the settings at factory defaults other than the admin login password and the SSID and password. Unfortunately, since then, I have had to reboot my router twice in the two days following the firmware update, once even after the reset, because I lost my WAN connection to the internet. I tried to contact support by phone yesterday with no success.

Last night, I downgraded my firmware back to version 1.1.4.6 because I need the stability back as I’m unable to spend any more time on this. I’ll just have to wait until there’s a permanent fix to the firmware sometime in the future, or maybe I’ll just keep it at the older version.

Their Level 2 support is a joke!! So is their phone support. They have different numbers to call in June and July!! WTF!! Who changes phone number every month?! I have captured their freaking bug files and had enough of it. It is not my job to fix it. I also reverted back to the one year old version 1.1.4.6 since it is the only one working. Class action law suit, people!!

Message 173 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

Netgear hasn't learned the lesson that things should just work, no matter how ridiculous or ignorant the user. 

They still require router owners to know how to finesse a device firmware to work for them.

My R8000P is running beta V1.4.1.12_1.2.16. I've had zero disconnect or router freeze issues, even with over 20 devices connected to it simultaneously.

My sole problem remains the USB device recognition on the router.

I love the range of the R8000P (easily fills every corner of a 5,000 sq ft home with good signal), the speed is fantastic. The guest network design is great.

But forcing normal people to learn firmware to ensure stability is just stupid business practices in an age where people just want things to work.

Message 174 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks for the info on V1.4.1.12. If I get motivated, I may give that beta a try.
Message 175 of 251
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements