Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: “Beta” Firmware for R8000P (only if you have these issues)

@Leixicon wrote:

Netgear hasn't learned the lesson that things should just work, no matter how ridiculous or ignorant the user. 

They still require router owners to know how to finesse a device firmware to work for them.

My R8000P is running beta V1.4.1.12_1.2.16. I've had zero disconnect or router freeze issues, even with over 20 devices connected to it simultaneously.

My sole problem remains the USB device recognition on the router.

I love the range of the R8000P (easily fills every corner of a 5,000 sq ft home with good signal), the speed is fantastic. The guest network design is great.

But forcing normal people to learn firmware to ensure stability is just stupid business practices in an age where people just want things to work.

Leixicon,

I'm neither ridiculous or ignorant. I have 3 masters degrees and I have worked with computers since Commodore 64. I have never before had any problems with networks or internet. Please don't blame the router firmware problem on the users. There are so many bugs in all of the versions that I don't care to list them. One version has partial text in Chinese characters when you log in to the dash board. An other version recognizes Android phones as Iphones. No big deal, but it tells you that Netgear's engineers don't know what they are doing.

I'm glad version V1.4.1.12_1.2.16 is working for you. It only lasted 12 hours for me.

Message 176 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

Leixicon,

I'm neither ridiculous or ignorant. I have 3 masters degrees and I have worked with computers since Commodore 64. I have never before had any problems with networks or internet. Please don't blame the router firmware problem on the users. There are so many bugs in all of the versions that I don't care to list them. One version has partial text in Chinese characters when you log in to the dash board. An other version recognizes Android phones as Iphones. No big deal, but it tells you that Netgear's engineers don't know what they are doing.

I'm glad version V1.4.1.12_1.2.16 is working for you. It only lasted 12 hours for me.

First of all, college degrees have nothing to do with knowledge of code, cabling, firmware, or real world interference.

Second, it may not be software in your situation, you may have a bad nic port on one of your devices if you are connecting via cables. Try swapping your cables with fresh ones. Sometimes bad cables or ports can force managed routers, let alone standalone routers like R8000Ps from locking up. Very often users will think the problem is the router, when the real problem lies with one of their devices.

Third, If you are purely on a wi-fi enabled system, it could be that very old G and N devices might be incompatible with modern A/C routers.

Fourth, make sure your router is free of interference from other devices and is in a good location to maximize the distance and penetration of the signals (generally higher altitude in the home/office, and centralized). try to reduce the number of walls between the router and the furthest room you are trying to reach to a minimum.

Fifth, maybe your device is just worse than others. Netgear has sold tens of thousands of this router, and even with the few dozen people complaining on the forums, that is not indicitive of the performance of the entire installed user base.

Message 177 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

I posted a reply here on May 29 containing the letter I sent via certified mail to the CEO of Netgear, demanding a resolution to this issue or I was going to sue the company for unfair and deceptive trade practices.

Since then, Netgear has resolved the issue to my satisfaction for me personally, though clearly they have not resolved the issue for everyone, seeing as how neither their current released firmware nor the most recent beta firmware they posted here fixes the problem.

I told Netgear I would not publicly discuss the terms of their resolution of the issue with me, and I will honor that commitment because I care about my integrity more than Netgear appears to care about the quality of its products.

Having said that, I strongly encourage those of you who are continuing to have this problem and would like it to be resolved without waiting for Netgear to figure out how to fix the firmware bug (if, indeed, they ever figure out how to fix the firmware bug) to do what I did: send a certified letter to the CEO of Netgear, demanding that they honor their warranty, which they are clearly in breach of since this is a defect in workmanship and they have failed to address it, and indicating that you will sue them for the cost of the router plus court fees in small claims court if they fail to do so.

Also look into whether your state has a law about unfair and deceptive trade practices which allows victims to sue for punitive damages in small claims court (as Massachusetts does, as I explained in my letter linked above), and if so, then spell that out in your letter as well, using the language in my letter as as model.

No one in the office of the CEO is reading this forum. Send a letter to the CEO if you want to get their attention.

Message 178 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

Leixicon, this is nonsense.

Hundreds of people are having this problem.

Most of the people having this problem report that they have had to revert to 1.1.4.6 to get working firmware, i.e., that every newer firmware version hangs on them within a day or two.

I'm happy for you that 1.4.1.12 works for you, but the data here clearly indicate that your experience is the exception, not the rule.

All the possible reasons you cited would only make sense if it weren't the case that downgrading to old firmware makes the problem go away. If the only variable that's different between a working and failing router is the firmware version, then the problem isn't a bad NIC port or a cable or interference or incompatible devices or a bad router.

In addition to the obvious fact that none of those things can explain the problem if an older version of the firmware makes the problem go away, there's also the fact that Netgear keeps on putting out new beta releases claiming that they will fix the issue. That means that Netgear has acknowledged that there is an issue with their firmware. Given that Netgear has acknowledge it, where exactly do you get off claiming that it doesn't exist?

Message 179 of 251
Highlighted

Been following this thread waiting for information that applies to the R8000. The scenario described in the original post is exactly the issue I experience at home. Reboot, 12-24 hours of my full broadband capabilities then a deterioration until reset again. My employer has R8000s it gives to customers under certain conditions and I was able to borrow 2 for testing. Both did the exact same thing after being updated to current formware - a slow deterioration of service until reboot. 

I finally gave up and bought a Linksys EA9300 last week. I've been up for the last week without needing a single reboot. I'll continue watching this thread hoping the issue is fixed and the R8000s can be returned to service. If that doesn't happen, NetGear will have lost my business. 

Message 180 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

welcome to R8000P world. Save yourself time and stress, sell this router ASAP and buy router with decent firmware (not Netgear).

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 181 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

I think Lexicon is saying that Netgear resolved his issue, it may not be the firmware that was fixed , i think what he's indirectly saying is Netgear replaced the unit but his terms refrain him from discussing the details
Message 182 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

I am going to try to return this to Best Buy under the GS replacement plan that I purchased.  They should let me select another router as long as I pay any difference.  Now to decide what to get to replace this pig.

Message 183 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

Downloaded all the new firmware, made the problem worse!!! Now I can’t even reboot the router remotely. I get a error showing wrong password. It’s the correct password I even changed the password two times to make sure same problem I can’t log into the router remotely when the wife or kids call and say WiFi’s not working. When I finally get home I can reboot the system. NETGEAR you need to fix this!!!
Message 184 of 251
Highlighted
Star

Yup. I’m hosed as well. DNS stops resolving internally after awhile. It happens on any SSID. TO be honest, it seems to have gotten worse since I enabled Circle. I noticed in the logs that it also thinks my Honeywell Thermostats are attacking my network. I’m wondering if the router is overreacting to normal traffic. I have over 3 dozen devices since I’m heavy IoT!
Message 185 of 251
Highlighted
Master

@Hoser13 wrote:

I am going to try to return this to Best Buy under the GS replacement plan that I purchased.  They should let me select another router as long as I pay any difference.  Now to decide what to get to replace this pig.

Probably the best thing you can do. I personally would suggest the Netgear r7800 and install voxel firmware or Asus rt-ac86u and install latest Merlin firmware.  Both will beat your current experience IMHO. Had a r8000p gone to a more loving home. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 186 of 251
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@myersw

Thanks Bill for a great opportunity to have the troublesome R8000P to try out. As I said, I have been trusted in Netgear system for years, but also a vivid fan of Asus router, too. So I am familiar with both manifacturers. Honestly, Asus routers give you the least problems, or none of the problem at all.

Intutively, I have been settled with R8000 for long time, up to sometimes last November when Netgear started the bad period of updated firmware, up till now, but I have managed to make it stable through with quite different setting and through trials and errors...

Hopefully I will get a hang on the R8000P quite ok. Keep you posted.

Message 187 of 251
Highlighted

I gave up on any valid change/update of being provided.  Unfortunately, it is too late to return to the store and after reading about the run around others are experiencing with technical support, I threw in the towel  early and bought a Linksys EA9500.  My problem has disappeared and after a week, I haven't had to reset my router at all!  I think all users of the R8000P should join together and file a class action lawsuit.  Netgear through their actions of posting beta Firmware versions has acknowledged the existing problem and are failing to resolve the issue to the satisfaction of its customers.

Message 188 of 251
Highlighted

Been having the same issue lately.  Any news on updated fireware that fixes this?  I have tried all but nothing works.

Message 189 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

Just a quick update. I am still running firmware v1.1.4.6 for a little over one week with no connectivity issues at all. Both wired and wireless working flawlessly at full speed and no WAN drops at all. I am using all of the factory default settings other than the admin password and the SSID name and password. I did perform a hardware reset after downgrading the firmware. So far, so good.

Message 190 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Ferroid wrote:

Just a quick update. I am still running firmware v1.1.4.6 for a little over one week with no connectivity issues at all. Both wired and wireless working flawlessly at full speed and no WAN drops at all. I am using all of the factory default settings other than the admin password and the SSID name and password. I did perform a hardware reset after downgrading the firmware. So far, so good.

@Ferroid,

Netgear has adviced to use the old firmware v.1.1.4.6 until they resolve the internet disconnect issues. The problem is that this version is almost 12 months old and full of security holes and vulnerable to attacks and hacks. This is unacceptable. And yes, I use it too in order to keep my internet on, but I would not call it good.

The only good advice on this forum so far has been to:

1. Get rid of the router and buy an Asus RT-AC86U.

2. File lawsuit against Netgear.

3. Demand Netgear to buy back the router.

I have personally filed complaint with BBB and the state consumer protection agency, but nothing has been done in 3 months. I have had the router posted for sale for 3 months and nobody wants it. The only thing left is a law suit.

Message 191 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Bunny17 wrote:

I have personally filed complaint with BBB and the state consumer protection agency, but nothing has been done in 3 months. I have had the router posted for sale for 3 months and nobody wants it. The only thing left is a law suit.

Let me be clear here: Netgear has resolved this problem for me because I complained directly to the office of the CEO. If you're waiting for them resolve the issue for you after filing a complaint with the BBB and the state consumer protection agency, I suspect you're going to be waiting a very long time.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do those things; I think it's great for as many people as possible to do them.

I'm saying if you actually want the problem to be resolved for you personally in a way that doesn't cost you any money, then the way you're going to get it resolved is to complain directly to the CEO of Netgear, not to file complaints with third-party agencies.

And yes, when you complain to the CEO, you have to make it clear that you're going to sue them in small-claims court if they don't resolve the issue for you, and then if indeed they don't resolve the issue for you, you need to actually follow up and sue them in small-claims court. Toothless threats are meaningless. You have to mean it, and you have to do it.

Message 192 of 251
Highlighted

I have actually downgraded to 1.1.4.6.1.1.85 before but still having issues.   I actually reset everything before the downgrade though. Will try anything.  I acutally have a N900 netgear and it was having issues too but just got an update for that yesterday and it seems better.

Message 193 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@jikamens wrote:

@Bunny17 wrote:

Let me be clear here: Netgear has resolved this problem for me because I complained directly to the office of the CEO. If you're waiting for them resolve the issue for you after filing a complaint with the BBB and the state consumer protection agency, I suspect you're going to be waiting a very long time.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do those things; I think it's great for as many people as possible to do them.

I'm saying if you actually want the problem to be resolved for you personally in a way that doesn't cost you any money, then the way you're going to get it resolved is to complain directly to the CEO of Netgear, not to file complaints with third-party agencies.

And yes, when you complain to the CEO, you have to make it clear that you're going to sue them in small-claims court if they don't resolve the issue for you, and then if indeed they don't resolve the issue for you, you need to actually follow up and sue them in small-claims court. Toothless threats are meaningless. You have to mean it, and you have to do it.

@jikamens ,

I have complained in a certified letter to the CEO. No response yet from the headquarters.

Message 194 of 251
Highlighted
Master

@jikamens ,

I have complained in a certified letter to the CEO. No response yet from the headquarters.

I do not understand all the frustration, stomach upset etc fighting the r8000p and the crap firmware. Just chuck it or sell on Ebay to some sucker and get a Asus RT-AC86U and load RMerlin or if you want to stay with Netgear get a R7800 and load Voxel or for the ones wanting to really live on the edge load LEDE on the R7800. Thing about the R7800 is there are lots of firmware options. For me Voxel which is Netgear with some fixes and small additions thrown in would be good for most folks as it follows the Netgear UI,etc. LEDE is for the more tech and adventurous folks. Need to understand how to do tftp and maybe serial recovery if you go the LEDE route. Do the suggested and you can sit back to a network that just works and is up to date security wise IMHO. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 195 of 251
Highlighted

I do not understand all the frustration, stomach upset etc fighting the r8000p and the crap firmware. Just chuck it or sell on Ebay to some sucker and get a Asus RT-AC86U and load RMerlin or if you want to stay with Netgear get a R7800 and load Voxel or for the ones wanting to really live on the edge load LEDE on the R7800. 

That isn't helpful. It's a simple thing to understand why customers who paid for a working product are upset that the product isn't reliable. And it's just a little bit unethical to unload equipment I know not to work onto someone else. 

Message 196 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

Yeah, go buy a car and when it is a lemon, just sell it away at a loss and get something else. Brilliant.
Message 197 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

@intercede007 wrote:

That isn't helpful. It's a simple thing to understand why customers who paid for a working product are upset that the product isn't reliable. And it's just a little bit unethical to unload equipment I know not to work onto someone else. 

But it's ethical for Netgear to continue to sell units they now will not run correctly and be secure, and not pull them off the shelfs !!!! Smiley Mad

jmho, Mark

{2} Asus RT-AC86U Merlin 384.5
X4S R7800 / kongat r35965M left by the way of craig's list
Message 198 of 251
Highlighted

@Mark1958 wrote:

But it's ethical for Netgear to continue to sell units they now will not run correctly and be secure, and not pull them off the shelfs !!!! Smiley Mad

jmho, Mark

I didn't say that. I said it's unethical for me to sell a device on eBay I know not to work, which was the suggestion that was made. 

Message 199 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

@Hoser13 wrote:
Yeah, go buy a car and when it is a lemon, just sell it away at a loss and get something else. Brilliant.

It happens every day.

{2} Asus RT-AC86U Merlin 384.5
X4S R7800 / kongat r35965M left by the way of craig's list
Message 200 of 251
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements