Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: “Beta” Firmware for R8000P (only if you have these issues)

@myersw @intercede007 @Hoser13.

To reinstate, I am one of the "suckers" who wil get the R8000P one day from today. I have been with NG and Asus for long time to experience the differences between them. Sure enough, if you are a new comer to routers, I would suggest the Asus branch as the first in line for less traumatic events, if you don't want to deal with. Other than that, NG lately come with quiet bad batches of firmware to their "advanced" routers since November 2017, and they did NOT recover from the damage yet. Hopefully they wil restructure their Software Team with real good engineers to fix these problems, sooner better than late. And yes, I agree that it is unethical for a big companyto sell products that you know it is not working, and this does not refered to my purchase recently with the R8000P, because I anticipate problems that come with it. I am very interested to get to mess around with the R8000P, at least just for the fun of it.. 

My R8000 currently running very stable with newest version available on NG website after some trials and errors setting. And I am very open if someone asks for the setting details.

Best

Message 201 of 251
Highlighted

I have tried to do what others on here have said.  I have downgraded to V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 but that didn't exactly work, until I disabled DLNA.  Its been a whole day and it has not lost connection.  Other times it would loose connection twice or at least once a day.

Also someone from Netgear contacted me.  I am hoping they call soon.  I would like to use the new firmware.  

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 202 of 251
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@msloat450
Would you want to try the newest firmware with DLNA disabled? I have known this problem fix since early January and there was also conflict with parental control, especially open DNS from NG, which will disconnect the internet, for sure.
Let us know in 2 days how it works, please, if you don't mind.
Terry
Message 203 of 251
Highlighted

@TerryPh wrote:
@msloat450
Would you want to try the newest firmware with DLNA disabled? I have known this problem fix since early January and there was also conflict with parental control, especially open DNS from NG, which will disconnect the internet, for sure.
Let us know in 2 days how it works, please, if you don't mind.
Terry

No, of course not.  But I would like to be able to use the newest software and not have to worry about conflicting issues.  Like everyone else.   I know everyone is on pin and needles after spending 300 bucks on this router. My problem is I just can't go out and buy another 200 to 300 dollar router to fix the issue.  Nor can I return it, since I bought it in Feb and now I am only allowed hardware fixes.  No email etc.  But I was lucky enough to get a hold of someone last night from Netgear. They are suppose to call me here shortly.  Will tell you what they say.

As far as my router update. So far so good.  I am on day two and no lost connections.  To repeat myself I have V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 and I have the DLNA disabled.  Downgrading the firmware didn't fix the issue when I first downgraded firmware.  (I reset router settings before and after, to make sure.)   I had disable DLNA afterwards.  So, I am not sure if downgrading firmware helped.  I will mess with that later when I know the teenager isn't on line.  Currently I only have my Tablo connected right now to the router.  I also have network Synology drive.  That I disconnected and will reconnect back today.  It has its own DLNA server.  It might of been having issues with the router's DLNA.  That was one of the reasons why I disconnected it.  I am just going to slowly put things back until I can get it to screw up again.

Thanks for everyone that posted what they found. This really helps me to at least get this router working.

Message 204 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

Well things just get worse I have had my ISP people go through their gear right down to a master switch and nothing was wrong. Also others on the local lines don’t have complaints. So then I paid the Geek squad to help with the hardware Netgear AC 8000. He found the router questionable but it worked. It failed, lose connection, in 2 days. I rebooted and it worked for 1 day. Now it has gone offline 3 times today.  I need to have reliable internet and NetgeAr can not supply it. I hope I can get Best Buy to take this POS back so I can set up some reliable brand.

Message 205 of 251
Highlighted

Update.  After two days of the unit doing good, the unit lost connection again.  And I resetting it didn't help.  I had to leave it unpowered for 1/2hr before it started working again.  OH, well.  IF Netgear is listening please fix this issue.

Message 206 of 251
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@msloat450

Bummer.... I guess I have to try mine for next 7 days to see if it is stable... Will let you know personally @msloat450 

Message 207 of 251
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All,

A new firmware is available that believed to address the Internet connection or intermittent connection issue. Please update the firmware to 1.4.1.24. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059559/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-4-1-24

Regards,

Blanca  

Community Team

Message 208 of 251
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@Blanca_O @msloat450 @myersw

Thanks for info regarding new FW 1.4.1.24. I will try next week after running and checking on fw 1.3.0.10 on my R8000P recently acquired. 

Message 209 of 251
Highlighted

@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi All,

A new firmware is available that believed to address the Internet connection or intermittent connection issue. Please update the firmware to 1.4.1.24. 

Regards,

Blanca  

Community Team

Thank you. I saw that this morning.  I already loaded it up.  I crossing my fingers.

Message 210 of 251
Highlighted
Star

Thank you for the update! Can we expect a similar fix for the R8000 version as well?
Message 211 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

Gave up.  Swapped under the Geek Squad replacement plan and bought a Linksys.  Good riddance.

Message 212 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi All,

Regards,

Blanca  

Community Team

The keyword in the above message is "BELIEVED TO ADDRESS". The Netgear folks don't know, but they BELIEVE. This is just a waste of time.

Since I still have this POS router, I immediately installed the new version 1.4.1.24, doing all the resetting, restarting as recommended. I connected one laptop to check internet speed and it was normal. I turned off the laptop, left the house for 4 hours while NO DEVICE was connected to the router.

When I came back 4 hours later, I turned on the laptop to do some work and the internet was down to a crawl, 10 Mbps!!! I tested both wired and wireless connection and the same molasses speed. I connected the laptop directly to the modem, bypassing the router and the internet speed was normal without any issues. Restarted the router and it worked as normal.

Over night the router lost internet connection!! Just like with all the other firmware versions that were BELIEVED to fix the issue!! No device was connected and all the router settings were default except for password. The router was frozen and could not even be logged into without re-booting. This is absolutely outrageous.

Message 213 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

For me firmware 1.4.1.24 just make things much worse. R8000P after couple crashes cutting entire network off somehow manage to disable my LAN card at my PC so i had to enable it in settings to gain network access again.
Message 214 of 251
Highlighted
Star

This isn’t meant as a knock and I may be stating the obvious but has anyone from Netgear contacted anyone on the thread for legitimate log files, data, of other equipment details to find out the exact source of these problems? It’s clear that there are specific factors/variables in this issue. I work directly with customers in the field and there are a clear set of steps we go through to find out how they came to their issue.
Message 215 of 251
Highlighted
Master

@Bunny17

You have a whole lot more patience then I would have. I would have taken a hammer to the r8000p if I had issues for the lengh of time you have been fighting it. I unloaded my r8000p at very attractive price just to clear some shelf space as it was not in use and the other person wanted it and understood the issues. Suggest you do the same so your blood pressure will return to normal. Since Netgear gets the drivers for the router hardware from Broadcomm the issue could be a Broadcomm issue and not even a fault of the Netgear engineers, other then pushing for fixes. Just one of those things I wonder about. 

I would suggest you dump the r8000p. Even DD-WRT (3rd party dev who has the licensed driver code) has not put out a build for the r8000p which has surprised me since the router hardware shows great potential. DD-WRT does support the r8000. Both the Asus rt-ac86u with RMerlin firmware and the Netgear r7800 with Voxel run well for me or if you want to really wander into the deep end of the pool you can run LEDE on the r7800 which I am currently running. Need to be a techie and not afraid to pop the cover if you need to when going the LEDE route. At least need to be able to do tftp of firmware. Get either the Asus suggested or the r7800 and shelf that piece of crap. 

In any case using either of the two routers listed above on my network there are no issues. So nice to not even give the network a thought after fighting first Linksys WRT3200ACM for over a year and then get what I thought would be a good router the r8000p since it was from my go to folks. That is what pushed me to the Asus and no network issues. Got the r7800, I set aside a little play time money, just to see how I like it and play with 3rd party firmware. So far it has been rock solid as well for me. 

Sorry for lengh of this, just get a stream of consciousness going. Smiley Wink

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 216 of 251
Highlighted

So far 1.4.1.24 is working ok.  Of course it is the first night.  I did as the instructions said and went directly to the router and updated it.  It did seem better after the update.  Devices were picking it up better.  I didn't have to reset everything all the time.  But I guess we will see.  I rokus logged in ok.  Before it was a pain.  Right now I only have my Tablo connected.  I don't have the network drive connected yet.  I am taking baby steps.

Message 217 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@fury88 wrote:
This isn’t meant as a knock and I may be stating the obvious but has anyone from Netgear contacted anyone on the thread for legitimate log files, data, of other equipment details to find out the exact source of these problems?

Yes, they have. Three problems:

1. Even with the log files they've apparently found it challenging to figure out the root cause of the problem and fix it.
  2. To collect the data, you have to run the broken firmware and allow it to fail. Not only that, but they actually ask people to collect three different types of logs, and each type requires resetting the firmware and allowing it to fail again. People are understandably reluctant to do all that, given how disruptive it is and how much disruption they've already had to deal with because of this issue. People also don't feel like they should have to spend their own time doing Netgear's testing for them.
  3. The process built into the firmware for collecting debug logs incredibly convoluted and annoying. They'd have more success if they spent some time making it easier and more streamlined.
Message 218 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@fury88 wrote:
This isn’t meant as a knock and I may be stating the obvious but has anyone from Netgear contacted anyone on the thread for legitimate log files, data, of other equipment details to find out the exact source of these problems? It’s clear that there are specific factors/variables in this issue. I work directly with customers in the field and there are a clear set of steps we go through to find out how they came to their issue.

@fury88,

Yes, I have communicated with Netgear's useless support and they call it "escalation" and level 2. I have sent them numerous debug-log files for at least 4 different versions of the firmware. I have spent hundreds of hours on this. I have logged the crashes and freezes of the router and absoultely no advice or help from Netgear.

After sending them all the debug log files and information, it takes about 3 weeks and then I get the dumbest reply ever such as: "Our engineers are asking you to reset the router" and nothing else. You get more response from a wall than from Netgear.

Message 219 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@myersw wrote:

@Bunny17

You have a whole lot more patience then I would have. I would have taken a hammer to the r8000p if I had issues for the lengh of time you have been fighting it. I unloaded my r8000p at very attractive price just to clear some shelf space as it was not in use and the other person wanted it and understood the issues. Suggest you do the same so your blood pressure will return to normal. Since Netgear gets the drivers for the router hardware from Broadcomm the issue could be a Broadcomm issue and not even a fault of the Netgear engineers, other then pushing for fixes. Just one of those things I wonder about. 

I would suggest you dump the r8000p. Even DD-WRT (3rd party dev who has the licensed driver code) has not put out a build for the r8000p which has surprised me since the router hardware shows great potential. DD-WRT does support the r8000. Both the Asus rt-ac86u with RMerlin firmware and the Netgear r7800 with Voxel run well for me or if you want to really wander into the deep end of the pool you can run LEDE on the r7800 which I am currently running. Need to be a techie and not afraid to pop the cover if you need to when going the LEDE route. At least need to be able to do tftp of firmware. Get either the Asus suggested or the r7800 and shelf that piece of crap. 

In any case using either of the two routers listed above on my network there are no issues. So nice to not even give the network a thought after fighting first Linksys WRT3200ACM for over a year and then get what I thought would be a good router the r8000p since it was from my go to folks. That is what pushed me to the Asus and no network issues. Got the r7800, I set aside a little play time money, just to see how I like it and play with 3rd party firmware. So far it has been rock solid as well for me. 

Sorry for lengh of this, just get a stream of consciousness going. Smiley Wink

Bill,

You are absolutely right and I agree with everything you wrote. I had first hoped to use LEDE with the router, then I was hoping for DD-WRT, but it doesn't appear to ever be available. And yes, I have had this thing listed for sale and lowered the price and there has been zero interest in it. I have sent a certified letter to the CEO and still waiting to hear back and will give him 7 more days. I just hate that Netgear gets away with this nonsense and I hate to throw away $300.00. This forum is not the only forum complaining about the issues. There are plenty more for this router with different subject lines, but with the same issues. People just describe the problems differently.

Every 3 weeks or so, I get a really stupid email from Netgear's genius squad, saying something like "Our engineers are asking you to reset the router". It's is beyond unbelievable.

Message 220 of 251
Highlighted
Star

OMG. I would have flipped out if that came directly to me. At some point it’s a matter of principal but trying to communicate that is like talking to a brick wall.
Message 221 of 251
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@Blanca_O, @myersw
The newest fw you posted does fail within 4 hours .
Same problem with internet disconnection with ethernet and wireless disconnection.
Reset to factory default setting did not solve the problem .
So I am now at midroad to figure out what to do next...
Message 222 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

And to top it off they are still on the shelf’s for sale, Unreal!!!!
{2} Asus RT-AC86U Merlin 384.5
X4S R7800 / kongat r35965M left by the way of craig's list
Message 223 of 251
Highlighted
Master

@Mark1958 wrote:
And to top it off they are still on the shelf’s for sale, Unreal!!!!

Unreal is right. With  the mess that Netgear does not seem able to fix they should start abuy back program. 

By the way the r7800 with LEDE runs really well. Currently my daily driver. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 224 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

So I was going to return my Netgear R8000p router to B.B. The salesman said he herd about this issue from several other buyers of this unit. I looked at other possible routers and thought I liked the R9000 but before I laced down ant cash I looked up known issues with this router. The forums there looked a lot like this one. 

I need a rock solid router because I work from home but I have an abundance of smart home features and gadgets. Does anyone have a strong suggestion to replace the R8000. Not Netgear unless it is fully vetted.

thanks jonnash

Message 225 of 251
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements