“Beta” Firmware for R8000P (only if you have these issues)

jikamens
Apprentice

Re: “Beta” Firmware for R8000P (only if you have these issues)

My R8000P has been replaced with an R9000 (if you've read my other comments here you may be able to imagine how that might have happened; enough said) and I've been using it for a couple of weeks and haven't had any problems with it.

Message 226 of 251
msloat450
Star

Well after the update it finally crashed.  I really wish they would fix this.  I have N900 and it will crash as well.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 227 of 251
purescripts
Guide

Still no fix July is almost over! Why don’t you just hire me and I will fix the issue. Literally how bad are the engineers working this?

I want a full refund for this unit or give me a different working model of equivalent or greater value. Netgear should definitely eat the cost of this router
Message 228 of 251
Mark1958
Guide

@Jonnash wrote:

So I was going to return my Netgear R8000p router to B.B. The salesman said he herd about this issue from several other buyers of this unit. I looked at other possible routers and thought I liked the R9000 but before I laced down ant cash I looked up known issues with this router. The forums there looked a lot like this one. 

I need a rock solid router because I work from home but I have an abundance of smart home features and gadgets. Does anyone have a strong suggestion to replace the R8000. Not Netgear unless it is fully vetted.

thanks jonnash

Back in May I bought 2 Asus RT-AC86U's and put Merlin on both and have Not even had to think about my wireless network other than to take it down to upgrade the firmware.

@if you have a Micro Center near you I would start their as they seem to have them on sale most of the time @ around $150.00.

Just set it and forget it, so easy even a caveman can do it !!! lol

Good Luck, Mark

{2} Asus RT-AC86U Merlin 384.5
X4S R7800 / kongat r35965M left by the way of craig's list
Message 229 of 251
myersw
Master

@Mark1958 wrote:

Back in May I bought 2 Asus RT-AC86U's and put Merlin on both and have Not even had to think about my wireless network other than to take it down to upgrade the firmware.

@if you have a Micro Center near you I would start their as they seem to have them on sale most of the time @ around $150.00.

Just set it and forget it, so easy even a caveman can do it !!! lol

Good Luck, Mark

Agree with Mike. Get a Asus RT-AC86U, put Merlin on is and sitback and relax. Will never need reboot unless you do a firmware update. At least that is my experience. Right now running a Netgear R7800 with LEDE. Was always wondering how good the r7800 was, but on the forums folks seem to have issues. I do set aside some play money so I got a r7800 just to see knowing I could sell it if the purchase turned out to be a mistake. I did run it with Voxel's firmware which was solid and now with LEDE installed. With LEDE installed it is fast and solid. Only reason for a reboot is firmware update. Like the bandwidth pie chart that LEDE has that is similar to what is in Asus. Can see bandwith used by device which can come in handy if you have a runaway device eating bandwidth, but this requires installing LEDE. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 230 of 251
Ferroid
Tutor

To update my current situation, I have not had ANY disconnects or degradation of speed on my R8000P for two weeks straight now after downgrading back to firmware v1.1.4.6 AND performing a hardware reset after the downgrade.  I did the same to my EX8000 by downgrading to firmware v1.0.0.98 and performing a hardware reset as well after the downgrade.  I kept all of the factory defaults on both devices except for my admin password and my wireless SSID and password.  I also enabled SmartConnect on both devices as well.  I realize it’s not ideal as far as security is concerned, but I haven’t encountered ANY issues at all on my WAN, LAN or wireless connections for the past fourteen days straight.  I haven’t had to perform any reboots of my equipment since performing the hardware resets with the downgraded firmware.

The one thing that I don’t have to contend with is wireless radio saturation since my home is pretty secluded.  I can only detect two wireless signals in addition to my R8000P and one of them is the wireless Netgear router for my ADT Pulse system and the other is a very weak signal from my neighbor’s house, about one hundred feet away.  I don’t think that the connectivity issues related to the R8000P were ever due to wireless signal saturation anyway.  I also typically have more than thirty devices attached, both wired and wireless, along with two gigabit switches.

I realize that I’m using 9-month-old firmware, but my connection reliability is more important to me than a one in a million chance that someone might hack my router.  I must have rock solid connection reliability to remotely monitor my security alarm system and NVR camera system.  All of my Windows computers use the latest version of the Norton Security software suite so hopefully I’m protected on that end.

I hope that this information helps some of you.

Message 231 of 251
metalfiiish
Guide

It's not one-in-a million. I do Cyber Security for a living and can tell you that many foreign entities scan the entire internet in search of out-dated firmware (We get alerts non-stop all day at our SOC's, which are deemed trivial due to how common they are...distrubuted over thousands of different customer networks). One of the most recent notable ones is Russians botnet via VPN-Filter.   My advise to you if you care about stability, is to go buy a firewall or edge device that can be updated to a secure version. Put that as your edge device to the modem, then use your nighthawk down stream. That is what I had to do since I work from home and can't have an insecure network or having my internet blow up every two days.

Otherwise, you are definitely going to get hacked but you will just be unaware that it has happened. Just a friendly warning to you.

Message 232 of 251
Ferroid
Tutor

I failed to mention in my previous post that I have a Netgear C7000 with the latest firmware revision configured as my cable modem with ALL network security enabled.  I disabled the WiFi and DHCP on the C7000 as it is handled by the R8000P.  Thanks for the concern and the information.

Message 233 of 251
wernus
Tutor

Mentioning on internet that your router is vulnerable probably will not help your luck either.
Message 234 of 251
Ferroid
Tutor

I'm hoping to hear from those of you that have tried firmware v1.4.1.24.

Message 235 of 251
msloat450
Star

@Ferroid wrote:

I have tried it and it didn't do anything for the dropping internet or connection issue.  Worked for a little bit and then it stopped.  So, I took others suggested about getting another router and yesterday I went to Best Buy and bought a Linksys router.  So far it has not had any issues.  Netgear owes me 300.  I will never buy another Netgear as long as I live.

Tech support that said they were doing to call never did.  No more Netgear for me.  

Message 236 of 251
myersw
Master

@msloat450 wrote:

@Ferroid wrote:

I have tried it and it didn't do anything for the dropping internet or connection issue.  Worked for a little bit and then it stopped.  So, I took others suggested about getting another router and yesterday I went to Best Buy and bought a Linksys router.  So far it has not had any issues.  Netgear owes me 300.  I will never buy another Netgear as long as I live.

Tech support that said they were doing to call never did.  No more Netgear for me.  

Welcome to the I hate Netgear club. The firmware for the newer routers like the r8000p is crap. Sold mine at a greatly reduced price to someone who knew what he was getting into and wanted anyway. The Linksys will probably provide better network stability then what you had. I chose to go the Asus RT-AC86U with Merlin route and then decided to play, like to try 3rd party firmware, with a Netgear r7800 running LEDE firmware. Both the Asus and the r7800 with LEDE are rock solid unlike the r8000p. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 237 of 251
schumaku
Guru

Looks like Netgear is actively working on their corporate and product reputation - shame. Effort on Home device firmware quality and updates is by far not sufficient @ChristineT - please spread the message to your top management.

Message 238 of 251
bwhite94
Tutor

Unfortunately, it looks as though my family will begin looking for alternative routers and as others have mentioned the Asus branded router. We have stuck with netgear for some time now and it's unfortunate that the company has not provided any useful updates or patches to correct this issue.

The software development team supporting this clearly has not been appointed this issue as a priority, and has failed a subset of their consumers.

We will be contacting Amazon (original retailer), and then following up with netgear for a refund.

This has gone on long enough and in over 8 months there is still no resolution. This is forcing thousands of people to result to using outdated and insecure firmware versions, and beta testing patches.
Message 239 of 251
Lorin2018
Star

This problem is finally starting to really get to me. I am so tired of rebooting my router . Sometimes I forget and then I have problems  and have to go do it.  After all this time there should be a fix . Those who are recommending ASUS please let me know how the performance compares to the X6S-AC4000 when it is working of course. Distance, speed latency etc.  ALso please let me know  if trhere were any issues returning the router to Amazon .

I do not understand why Netgear has been so slow at solving this  problem  or if they ever will. It can be complicated but   with decent  resources and time it should have been resolved by now or at least an exchange for something else  that works, if they have one. They could offer  money back  as another example.

Appreciate any response. 

Message 240 of 251
bwhite94
Tutor

@Lorin2018 wrote:

Those who are recommending ASUS please let me know how the performance compares to the X6S-AC4000 when it is working of course. Distance, speed latency etc.  ALso please let me know  if trhere were any issues returning the router to Amazon .

Amazon accepted my return in under 15 minutes. I explained the issue, they told me to send an email with a link to the forum and also approved my refund request while on chat. Speeds/Latency of the RT-AC86U are equal to, if not better than but there is one less radio (works for me) but keep that in mind. Range is similar, but also I have added other devices which may interfere so it's hard to compare.

Message 241 of 251
scsouders
Guide

When did you buy it on Amazon..i got mine last fall so i doubt they would take mine
Message 242 of 251
bwhite94
Tutor

@scsouders wrote:
When did you buy it on Amazon..i got mine last fall so i doubt they would take mine

I bought it mid-October last year (2017).

Message 243 of 251
scsouders
Guide

So i may have a chance then
Message 244 of 251
JustWill
Tutor

The NJ Office of the Attorney General has reviewed my case details against Netgear and has contacted and sent copies of my complaint to the California Attorney General to review the complaints, including those in this thread against Netgear.   I will be reaching out to their offices this week to review what the next steps will be since I was "strongly advised" to folllow up as this is a definite case.  For anyone hoping for legal action against Netgear or some solutions to this scam of a product(s) they are selling I suggest you also file your complaints as well - maybe bypass NJ and go right to CA where the HQ is located.  I am including a copy of the letter here for the NETGEAR admins to take a nice look at the beginnings of a class action lawsuit. Feel free to foward this to your CEO via email - i know i did.

Message 245 of 251
vvulture
Guide

I will not be buying Netgear products again...   their tech support is just SOOOOOOOOO bad. 

Got a X6 R8000 and have an unresolved issue from well over 12 months ago...  No response from them despite several attempts at contacting them.

They just don't give a **bleep**...

Well guess what, neither do i.  No more Netgear products for me and many others i'm sure...

Message 246 of 251
myersw
Master

@vvulture wrote:

I will not be buying Netgear products again...   their tech support is just SOOOOOOOOO bad. 

Got a X6 R8000 and have an unresolved issue from well over 12 months ago...  No response from them despite several attempts at contacting them.

They just don't give a **bleep**...

Well guess what, neither do i.  No more Netgear products for me and many others i'm sure...

It is really unfortunate that Netgear cannot get the firmware even close to right after this period of time. They know how to put together a good piece of hardware, but firmware leaves a lot to be desired. I would not be using the r7800 I have if I had to run the OEM firmware. The 3rd party firmware, LEDE, just runs which tells me the issues with the r7800 and I am sure the r8000p are firmware related and not hardware. 

IMHO I think that Netgear has tried to reduce costs and the firmware engineering side of the house is suffering. It is a shame as they were my go to vendor for routers when I wanted one that would just work. Since I like to play I went down the Linksys WRT3200 and earlier series of the WRT's which never worked right. That was an on going story of 2 plus years as they would keep getting better and better with the 3rd party firmware, but the drivers from Marvel were bad that the devs had to use. Decided to get some sanity back and got a r8000. That was not stable with OEM or DD-WRT which leads me to believe that the issues center around the drivers being used on the r8000 and r8000p that are provided by Broadcomm. DD-WRT uses the Broadcomm drivers as well. The r7800 had issues with OEM and to a lesser extent with Voxel, but was not solid set it on the shelf and forget it until I installed LEDE. Now when teen says there is an Internet issue I check what they are doing first as I know the network is up when running the r7800. It is too bad  that Broadcomm will not release the drivers unless you get a license from them. Therefore there is no good support for the r8000 and r8000p from Openwrt/LEDE. If there was the r8000p would be a screamer I bet. Sold mine so will never know. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 247 of 251
Fiapo
Aspirant

Hey everyone,

Thank you for sharing your experience.   I'm in the same situation of most of you guys and I'm never going to buy Netgear product again.

I'm currently out of the country giving a training (brought my R8000P with me), and the router, after the update has being giving more headache with drops, and slow connection.  

@JustWill please let us know if you get any update.  As soon I get back, I'll reachout for my company lawer to figure out the best way to get my money for this router back.

Message 248 of 251
fury88
Star

Not for nothing but I bought Bitdefender Box 2 which forced me to put my Netgear R8000 into AP mode and disable QoS and the thing has been running like a freaking bullet now. Makes me wonder if there is something rooted in the QoS functionality that’s causing the Problems.
Message 249 of 251
myersw
Master

@fury88 wrote:
Not for nothing but I bought Bitdefender Box 2 which forced me to put my Netgear R8000 into AP mode and disable QoS and the thing has been running like a freaking bullet now. Makes me wonder if there is something rooted in the QoS functionality that’s causing the Problems.

I run Bitdefender on my PC's and thought about the box, was turned off by price and having to put router into AP mode. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 250 of 251
Discussion stats
Announcements