Highlighted

Re: “Beta” Firmware for R8000P (only if you have these issues)

I mean netgear literally doesn’t care at all about there customers what so ever. I’ve posted to them on Facebook as well as email support and have yet to hear a peep from the company or any representative and its been 2-3 days. I’d highly recommend not using any netgear products at this point. I downgraded my router to the version suggested above and if that doesn’t fix it I’m returning by Thursday.
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 251
Highlighted

When I click on your link it requests a file name. If I just click proceed it requires username and password but I get nowhere. I did notice a degradation in speed before as well and rebooting fixed it. Mostly it just says no internet until I reboot.
Message 27 of 251
Highlighted

I can't get the link to work. It says "Please enter the File Information requested: File code: "" FYI--I have also experienced internet slowdown issue once or twice where I had to reboot but mostly it just says no internet connection that requires me to reboot.
Message 28 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

Firmware Version V1.0.4.12_10.1.46 applied and now ethernet doesn't work

I made sure the firmware was done applying, by logging in via wifi to the start html page. The ethernet has not worked since. I have rebooted it twice and it hasn't come up. The LED goes Orange when the cable is plugged in, then goes white, but my ethernet adapted just sits at IDENTIFYING... I've disabled \ enabled the adapted multiple times. Any advice?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 29 of 251
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Everyone,

Thank for answering and working with James and I through PMs on this topic. We are very much appreciated. :]

- Jason N

Message 30 of 251
Highlighted

Hi,

Do you have a  fix to try? 

I really need to know  there may be a fix soon or I need to  get   a different model or something.

It is just too intermittent.

Why can\t you have an auto reboot  if it detects loss of internet for some period of time as an interim fix?

Perhaps you could add a routine to verify slow down or some other indicator until you have a fix.

Message 31 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@AmosEJ wrote:
I've had this router for a few months now(purchased on 12/30/2017), and started having to reset it almost daily a couple weeks in. I did a factory reset and upgraded to this beta firmware last Wednesday and it has actually made the problem worse. Ever since I upgraded to this beta firmware, I've had to reboot the router at least 5-6 times per day. Most of the time when the router needs rebooted, the wi-fi networks still show up when searching for networks but nothing can connect or see the router settings, including wired devices. It seems like it just randomly happens, and I'm not sure what's causing it. Sometimes it doesn't happen for hours, and sometimes it happens every thirty minutes. I'm getting really frustrated with this router, as it wasn't exactly cheap. I have friends with cheap routers that hardly ever need rebooted. I'd love some suggestions or a fix for this issue soon, or I'm going to have to replace this router. I've always liked Netgear, but this is ridiculous.

I purchased this router on 12/27/2017 and it worked ok until the latest firmware update. Now I have to reboot the router everytime I want to connect a device. When I come home I switch my phone to wifi and have to reboot. When I turn on a laptop I have to reboot. When I turn on the tv connected with ethernet, I have to reboot. If I turn off a laptop and turn it back on later, I have to reboot the router. It is insane. I tried to factory reset the router by pressing the reset button in the back, but it is not working. I did a factory reset by logging in to the router. I re-installed the latest firmware and went through the entire setup process all over. No improvements. It has to be rebooted every time I need to use it. And guess what, it started getting really bad on the day the 90 day support is no longer available. Now I have to pay if I call Netgear and ask for support. This is outrageous. It is a complete waste of time. I paid $300.00 for the router and it is useless. If anybody has a fix for this, please let me know. And, it is not my devices or cables. I use Android on several devices, Linux on several and Windows occasionally. My receiver, TV and bluray player have their own systems, but still the same issue with the router. I also network cameras through wifi and that has turned into a nightmare since everytime I turn on a camera I have to reboot the freaking router. Is there any firmware update coming soon that will fix it? Does anybody have a suggestion what other brand to buy?

Message 32 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

Bunny17 - I would recommend restoring the router to factory settings via the router's web interface (www.routerlogin.net). If you go into ADVANCED and select router administration, you should see an option to restore the router to factor setting. Once you do that, I would recommend uploading the below version of the router's firmware that I have found to be the most stable. The later versions aren't working well at all. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000053131/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-3-0-4  (this link has instructions on how to upload software onto your router. You will want to hard wire your computer to the router when you do the upload).

Hope this helps. I have had great experience with this firmware version with wired speeds. Wi Fi speeds can be really good at times and not so good at other times - Wired speeds tend to be more reliable (but even those can dip at times). howevr, since going back to this earlier firmware version, I have not had any issues with wi fi dropping or wired connections not working.

Message 33 of 251
Highlighted

Hi Bunny17. I have downgraded to R8000P-V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 and this seems to be the most "stable" firmware and have now run this for two weeks and I have no more problems with Wi-Fi disconnections at all. Knock on wood... Smiley Happy Try this 

Message 34 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Pingili wrote:

Bunny17 - I would recommend restoring the router to factory settings via the router's web interface (www.routerlogin.net). If you go into ADVANCED and select router administration, you should see an option to restore the router to factor setting. Once you do that, I would recommend uploading the below version of the router's firmware that I have found to be the most stable. The later versions aren't working well at all. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000053131/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-3-0-4  (this link has instructions on how to upload software onto your router. You will want to hard wire your computer to the router when you do the upload).

Hope this helps. I have had great experience with this firmware version with wired speeds. Wi Fi speeds can be really good at times and not so good at other times - Wired speeds tend to be more reliable (but even those can dip at times). howevr, since going back to this earlier firmware version, I have not had any issues with wi fi dropping or wired connections not working.

Thank you for the advice. Yes, I have already done the factory reset several times through the routerlogin since the button in the back does not do anything. I will try the previous firmware version. I thought of it before, but since going backwards is not so appealing when it comes to security updates, I have been reluctant to do it. But I guess since the folks at Netgear don't have a fix, it is the only option if I keep this router. Thanks again.

Message 35 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Sniperman74 wrote:

Hi Bunny17. I have downgraded to R8000P-V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 and this seems to be the most "stable" firmware and have now run this for two weeks and I have no more problems with Wi-Fi disconnections at all. Knock on wood... Smiley Happy Try this 

Hi Sniperman74. Thank you for the advice. I will try your recommended version and see what happens. I have tried the above Beta version and it didn't fix anything. As I mentioned before, I was reluctant to go backwards because of security issues, but I have pretty good security setup on my computers running Linux. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Message 36 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

@ Bunny17 I am curious, have you tried a 30/30/30 reset before and after the firmware changes? By after i mea let it boot up on the new firmware untouched for 10 to 15 minutea and then reaet again. If you aren't familiar woth the 30/30/30, it is hold reset for 30 seconds, keep holding it and remove power for another 30 seconds, and still hold it while reapplying power for a third 30 seconds. The idea being to reset completely annd fully discharge capacitors.
Message 37 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@ShrekSWFL wrote:
@ Bunny17 I am curious, have you tried a 30/30/30 reset before and after the firmware changes? By after i mea let it boot up on the new firmware untouched for 10 to 15 minutea and then reaet again. If you aren't familiar woth the 30/30/30, it is hold reset for 30 seconds, keep holding it and remove power for another 30 seconds, and still hold it while reapplying power for a third 30 seconds. The idea being to reset completely annd fully discharge capacitors.

Hi @ShrekSWFL, Yes, I tried probably 10 times to reset the router by pressing the reset button, unplugging the power, plugging back in, etc. The reset button is simply faulty. I have not done as many reset tries by logging in to the router before and after firmware change. I did a factory reset twice by logging in. However, never in 20-30 years have I had to factory reset a router after updating firmware, so it really shouldn't be necessary. It is just frustrating that Netgear can't provide a fix and keep their firmware working. But thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Message 38 of 251
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Bunny17,

It is good to do a factory reset after an upgrade or downgrade because it will flush the old bugs and/or old configurations which might not work with the firmware version. :]

- Jason N

Message 39 of 251
Highlighted
Luminary

Sorry, but that's crap.

If a single version causes bitrot, and requires a reset, then the software/firmware has been produced incorrectly. If there are config changes, then the manufacturer should be able to releasea changelog that details the uncompatible changes and how to deal with it. 

This is why there is such a backlash in these threads. Netgear OWES us better than this. 

Message 40 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@GaWd wrote:

Sorry, but that's crap... 

100% agreed.

Let me reiterate: Hey, Netgear: decent software doesn't require you to factory reset it after every upgrade. My Linux PCs don't require me to do that. My Windows PCs don't require me to do that. My Mac PCs don't require me to do that. My Android phone doesn't require me to do that. My iPad doesn't require me to do that. My routers from other companies don't require me to do this.

This bug has been in your router firmware for something like five months. Many, many people have complained about it. It's simply ASTOUNDING that you haven't fixed it yet, and the victim-blaming you're engaging in by telling people to factory reset their routers -- when, as people have indicated here, factory resetting DOESN'T ACTUALLY SOLVE THE PROBLEM -- is entirely bogus and patently offensive.

I'm configuring a cron job to email me a link to this thread every month to make sure I remember to never, ever buy another Netgear product.

Message 41 of 251
Highlighted
Star

Message 42 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@jikamens wrote:

@GaWd wrote:

Sorry, but that's crap... 

100% agreed.

Let me reiterate: Hey, Netgear: decent software doesn't require you to factory reset it after every upgrade. My Linux PCs don't require me to do that. My Windows PCs don't require me to do that. My Mac PCs don't require me to do that. My Android phone doesn't require me to do that. My iPad doesn't require me to do that. My routers from other companies don't require me to do this.

This bug has been in your router firmware for something like five months. Many, many people have complained about it. It's simply ASTOUNDING that you haven't fixed it yet, and the victim-blaming you're engaging in by telling people to factory reset their routers -- when, as people have indicated here, factory resetting DOESN'T ACTUALLY SOLVE THE PROBLEM -- is entirely bogus and patently offensive.

I'm configuring a cron job to email me a link to this thread every month to make sure I remember to never, ever buy another Netgear product.

Totally agree with the above. It's a waste of my time. I have now installed an older firmware version and renamed my network to "NETGEAR NIGHTMARE", while pressing the reset button for one minute while standing on my head and pulling out all the cables and repeated 3 times before and after installation. I actually use this router for work and need internet access 24/7. It is not for leisure use or gaming even if I have a TV connected to it. For now it seems that this older version 1.1.4.6_1.1.85 is working, but it has only been one day. I won't hold my breath.

Message 43 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

I agree with many of you. But the router has been up 'n running and heavily used since Black Friday. Many users in My House.....many GB/24H. Haven't restarted the router at all. Updated the firmware twice. Didn't a factory reser none of these Times.

But I don't like the software compared to Asus for instance
Message 44 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@htroudi wrote:
I agree with many of you. But the router has been up 'n running and heavily used since Black Friday. Many users in My House.....many GB/24H. Haven't restarted the router at all. Updated the firmware twice. Didn't a factory reser none of these Times.

I'm really not sure what your point is. No one has suggested that the bug that's impacting many people impacts everyone, so the fact that it doesn't impact you has no particular relevance to this discussion.

The fact that the bug only impacts some users doesn't make it any more OK that Netgear introduced the bug in the first place or that they have taken so long to fix it.

Message 45 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

No your point is fair and 100% true. I don't mean to step on somebodys toe here. But sometimes positive thinking can lead to magnificant and unsuspected turns. Let's all hope that Netgear sort all bugs out ASAP. This could definitely hurt their reputation......
Message 46 of 251
Highlighted

The key  for Netgear is the term quickly.  When my router is working correctly it is super fast and   provides  a good coverage area. The  intermittent slow downs and  disconnects completely ruin the experience and confidence. I still don't see why they couldn't provide an interim solution that monitors or   tests for the issue and autmatically saves the info and reboots the  router as an option for  the users. Instead  the patch provided requires the users to  figure out it  needs to be rebooted and  we have to  save the log file before rebooting.

Message 47 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

I have been watching these threads for the past 3 months now (I've had this router for quite some time and it just seems to get worse and worse). I guess I will resort to installing the old firmware and wait until we get confirmation of the fix. I love the router to death.... when it is reliable. Unfortunately for me, any time I try to use it for long periods of time I start dropping packets left and right.

NETGEAR, please fix this ASAP. I use my system for work, on top of leisure and it is annoying to have to reset 2-3 times weekly!

Message 48 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

bwhite 94- "I love the router to death..." - I couldn't have phrased it any better. The router is quite gorgeous and the best looking one I've seen. The new gaming router they have looks cheap. I returned it after trying it as it has simialr issues. Like you said, when it works well, the speeds are off the charts.

Message 49 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi all,

I wonder if anybody has downloaded the Linux code available for this router and tried to fix it? If I was younger and had the entire life in front of me, I would look into this code, but I have more important things to do and at this point in life I don't work for free. The code available is from 24 January 2018.

https://kb.netgear.com/2649/NETGEAR-Open-Source-Code-for-Programmers-GPL

I am worried about security issues such as KRACK when I run an older version of the firmware (1.1.4.6_1.1.85) as I do right now. Fortunately, my Linux computers have already got the security patches blocking KRACK, but I have other devices on the network that are vulnerable.

My second question is, has anybody installed OpenWRT on this router and would you recommend it? I downloaded LEDE 17.01 and will probably install it.

Regarding Netgear and their programmers, I find it concerning that they suggest a 30/30/30 reset after installing updates. This is an ancient procedure that was done prior to flash-enabled equipment coming on the market. And it is annoying that they don't come up with a fix for the bug in the firmware, but instead ask the users to log bug files and send it to them. Imagine if you bought a TV that costs above average and every time you want to change channel, you have to do a 30/30/30 factory reset, unplug it and wait. Would you put up with that? I bet you wouldn't. A router should be running in the background, just set it and forget it. It shouldn't be a part-time job or hobby, requiring a few hours of your time every day.

Message 50 of 251
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements