Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary

Re: “Beta” Firmware for R8000P (only if you have these issues)

i heard there was a beta for r7800 x4s where is it ?

Message 51 of 251
Highlighted
Star

Bunny17,

I too am too old to be working for free and tinkering around with my network. I just need it to work. Although I was worried about bricking my router, I gave DD-WRT a shot. It was a piece of cake, I just did a factory reset (no 30-30-30) and uploaded the .chk file. The router booted into DD-WRT, I tinkered with it, then I uploaded the Netgear .chk file to restore the original firmware.
DD-WRT worked great and offered a ton more functionality. But like I said I don't have time to be managing a router at home.

@Bunny17 wrote:

My second question is, has anybody installed OpenWRT on this router and would you recommend it?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 52 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

@joeyimp wrote:

Bunny17,

I too am too old to be working for free and tinkering around with my network. I just need it to work. Although I was worried about bricking my router, I gave DD-WRT a shot. It was a piece of cake, I just did a factory reset (no 30-30-30) and uploaded the .chk file. The router booted into DD-WRT, I tinkered with it, then I uploaded the Netgear .chk file to restore the original firmware.
DD-WRT worked great and offered a ton more functionality. But like I said I don't have time to be managing a router at home.

@Bunny17 wrote:

My second question is, has anybody installed OpenWRT on this router and would you recommend it?

First off here is a quote from one of the developer's (Kong) over at DD-Wrt

"30/30/30 is the biggest bulls**t I have ever read since I started developing 5 years ago. I have not seen a single device including my older K26 units, that would do what you expect it to do:-) "

Secondly there has Not been a release of DD-WRT for the R8000P yet, and I really don't see one heading our way any time soon.

Time will tell.

Mark

{2} Asus RT-AC86U Merlin 384.5
X4S R7800 / kongat r35965M left by the way of craig's list
Message 53 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Mark1958 wrote:

@joeyimp wrote:

Bunny17,

@Bunny17 wrote:

First off here is a quote from one of the developer's (Kong) over at DD-Wrt

"30/30/30 is the biggest bulls**t I have ever read since I started developing 5 years ago. I have not seen a single device including my older K26 units, that would do what you expect it to do:-) "

Secondly there has Not been a release of DD-WRT for the R8000P yet, and I really don't see one heading our way any time soon.

Time will tell.

Mark

Mark1958 and Joeyimp, Thank you for that.  Yes, it's funny how the folks at Netgear still suggest the 30/30/30 procedure when updating firmware. I can agree with power cycling, but not factory reset. I also looked at the list of routers on the DD-WRT site and didn't see this model. But the OpenWRT supports the R8000 router and has updated firmware. I have not installed yet, I just wanted to know if anybody had done it.

There is a great support forum and very precise instructions and FAQ on the website.

Message 54 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

@Bunny17

I can tell you DD-Wrt works well on the R8000, there is a Guru (myersw) over in the DD-Wrt forum that has both the R8000 & the R8000P and is running ddwrt version r35767 on his r8000 with no problem. Just make sure you use the factory-to-ddwrt. chk file, from the stock Netgear UI and you should be fine. Also when ever I upgrade I do a factory reset return to Netgear UI and then load the new firmware, just like to be safe!

I trufully think DD-Wrt is a lot more user friendly than openwrt, just my two cents.

Good luck

Mark

Message 55 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

@Mark1958 Looks the DD-WRT file doesn't work with the 8000p. I get a message saying it is incorrect firmware when I try to upload it onto the router.

Message 56 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

@Pingili wrote:

@Mark1958 Looks the DD-WRT file doesn't work with the 8000p. I get a message saying it is incorrect firmware when I try to upload it onto the router.

The link above is for the R8000 Not the R8000P sorry if I confused you but if you read the two posts above, I clearly say there is no DD-Wrt for the R8000P and don't think there will be any time soon.

It was aimed at bunny17 who stated he had a R8000.

Mark

Message 57 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

@Mark1958 No worries at all Mark. Thanks for clarifying. I figured as much when I found my way to the "Guru"'s DD-WRT llair on the web!

Message 58 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

Just to clarify the only factory resets I preform are in the gui or if needed holding the rest button in long enought to cycle the router, the gui or ui firmware factory reset just clears all

the settings from the previous installs that can somtime linger, do you have to do this NO and you may not have a problem, but it can occure and if it does a factory reset of holding the reset button in for 10 to 20 sec. and cycling the router can offten clear up the issuse.

But over in the DD-Wrt fourms it is Highly recommened Not to do the 30/30/30 resets

and I quote ( "First and most important: never do a ‘Hard Reset’ aka 30/30/30!. It's unnecessary and you can harm your router.") fwiw !!

I just don't think they advise against it for No reason at all, more so from experience.!!!

So if you need a piss poor boat anchor go for it, it may not brick your router the frist time or the second but it can and has happened and is why it is ill advised!!!

Mark

Message 59 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Mark1958 wrote:

@Pingili wrote:

The link above is for the R8000 Not the R8000P sorry if I confused you but if you read the two posts above, I clearly say there is no DD-Wrt for the R8000P and don't think there will be any time soon.

It was aimed at bunny17 who stated he had a R8000.

Mark

Mark1958, I have the R8000P model, not the R8000 and I am a she, not a he. :-) I thought I would try and install the R8000 firmware because I read somewhere that it would work, but I have not had time to mess with it yet. That is the LEDE version of OpenWRT. I guess the DD-Wrt is not an option according to Pingili.

Message 60 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

Sorry Bunny17, was not even thinking male or female while typing my response please accept my apology for that, now as far as trying firmware for one router on a router of another model is very dangerous and could easily brick it.

I have never seen a firmware that is compatible acrossed multiple models they are always

model specific, so be very cautious trying that.

I miss read your post and though you had a r8000, so again sorry Miss Bunny17

Message 61 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Mark1958 wrote:

Sorry Bunny17, was not even thinking male or female while typing my response please accept my apology for that, now as far as trying firmware for one router on a router of another model is very dangerous and could easily brick it.

I have never seen a firmware that is compatible acrossed multiple models they are always

model specific, so be very cautious trying that.

I miss read your post and though you had a r8000, so again sorry Miss Bunny17

Mark1958, No need to apologize. It was rather funny. I have looked at more info regarding the OpenWRT support and it doesn't seem to be worth trying for the R8000P model. Apparently, there is not much support for the Broadcom 4365E chip, so many functions would not work.

On the other hand, according to a post on 13 March 2018 at the DD-WRT forum, "Brainslayer" has a R8000P in house and will start working on it when he has time. So for now, I probably keep the old firmware (1.1.4.6_1.1.85) that seems stable, and wait for the DD-WRT release. If it doesn't happen soon, I will switch to an other brand.

It is a shame that Netgear is ignoring this problem. Maybe their progammers are not capable of figuring it out.

Message 62 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

@Bunny17@Mark1958

I find the below version to be stable as well. I think this is the latest of the stable versions. 

R8000P-V1.3.0.4_1.1.96.chk

Message 63 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Pingili wrote:

@Bunny17@Mark1958

I find the below version to be stable as well. I think this is the latest of the stable versions. 

R8000P-V1.3.0.4_1.1.96.chk

Thanks for the info. I don't think Netgear pays enough for good developers and only have some rookies, maybe still in school, working on the problem. This is why they are asking the users to run their bug logs and send it to them. As if people who pay $300 for a router want to become their beta-testers for free. I have now decided to get rid of this router and buy the Asus RT-AC86U and run Merlin. That should solve the problem for me. Thanks again Mark and everybody else for trying to help.

Message 64 of 251
Highlighted
Guide

You are welcome Bunny17, I think I'm going to take that same route, the Asus RT-AC86U has the same processor as the R8000P minus one 5GHz radio but thats ok because triband is over rated anyway, very little to any suppored devices. 

Message 65 of 251
Highlighted
Guru

@Mark1958 wrote:

...same processor as the R8000P minus one 5GHz radio but thats ok because triband is over rated anyway, very little to any suppored devices. 

There are two 5 GHz radios to allow the interference free operations of two independent 802.11ac networks, effectively allowing double the media (read: the air and the radio spectrum) capacity. Like an additional 5 GH access point - it's not a technology intended to have on clients. Further on, the SmartConnect feature can control the association of older slower standards to one radio, while keep the other free for current clients. 

Message 66 of 251
Highlighted

This is wildly outrageous. Do you all not have version control on your software. Run a diff on the old firmware versus the new which introduced this bug and figure out where you went wrong. It literally should not take 5 months to fix this. It should literally take a sme 1 week to identify and propose a solution. Then 1-2 weeks to develop said solution, maybe have to scrap what was added in the firmware update for the time being and do some proper analysis on why this is occurring. People honestly don’t care about whatever enhancement was added when the core product doesn’t work after added enhancement. Well anyway if you guys ever fix this send me and email. I’ve been running 2-3 weeks on this old firmware with no issues so the hardware is not the problem. Also next time before you release firmware it would be good to run a proper endurance test on your router and have multiple configurations and multiple modern smart devices actively using the router with various configurations to simulate production use. Let that test run maybe 2 weeks and evaluate the logs. If your router survived and the logs are relatively clean you have a safe bet that you are in a better place to push that code to the end user. Cause I know for a fact there was no testing done like that for the last version or the router would have dropped out 1.5 days into the test every time.
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 67 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@purescripts wrote:
This is wildly outrageous. Do you all not have version control on your software. Run a diff on the old firmware versus the new which introduced this bug and figure out where you went wrong. It literally should not take 5 months to fix this. It should literally take a sme 1 week to identify and propose a solution. Then 1-2 weeks to develop said solution, maybe have to scrap what was added in the firmware update for the time being and do some proper analysis on why this is occurring. People honestly don’t care about whatever enhancement was added when the core product doesn’t work after added enhancement. Well anyway if you guys ever fix this send me and email. I’ve been running 2-3 weeks on this old firmware with no issues so the hardware is not the problem. Also next time before you release firmware it would be good to run a proper endurance test on your router and have multiple configurations and multiple modern smart devices actively using the router with various configurations to simulate production use. Let that test run maybe 2 weeks and evaluate the logs. If your router survived and the logs are relatively clean you have a safe bet that you are in a better place to push that code to the end user. Cause I know for a fact there was no testing done like that for the last version or the router would have dropped out 1.5 days into the test every time.

purescripts, You are absolutely correct. This is not rocket science. Anybody should be able to compare the old code with the updated code and figure out what went wrong. Now I posted this piece of junk for sale online and the first reply I received was asking if it works because he had read so many bad reviews. So, it looks like I can't even sell it. I can't lie and say it works properly.

Who cares about how many radios it has if it doesn't work as advertised? You should be able to access your network when traveling, but this is not possible when somebody has to be home and reboot the freaking thing several times a day.

I have a question to all of you, has anybody filed a complaint with the consumer protection agency or similar? Netgear is selling a product that is not working as advertised and they are not providing a fix. It is also outrageous you have to pay to call their support, but I doubt they would be able to fix anything anyway. Maybe a class action lawsuit for wasted time and money? Perhaps that would get their attention.

Message 68 of 251
Highlighted
Tutor

their paid support is useless. got great suppot within first 90 days, but paid support is only via phone and have never been able to get through. Was put on waiting for like 30+ minutes last few times I tried to call in.

Only good thing about the 8000 and 8000p routers are that they are the nicest ones I've seen. Absolutely beautiful works of art in a jet black design. I have decided to give the Linksys AC 4000 router and give it a try. It is all black and goregous like the 8000p (though a bit more convential in design) and has a 1.8 ghz QUAD core processor (in contrast, the 8000p has a 1.8 ghz DUAL core processor). I know some of you think it is crazy that I am so focused on the looks of my router, but for an intrinsically artistic person like me, the looks are as important as performance - as the router will be visible in my home theatre set up.

Will update the group on how this impacts my wired and wi fi speed and overall connectivity quality.

Cheers!

Message 69 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just recently purchased this router and am experiencing drop off on my bandwidth. When I first set the nighthawk up I was consistently getting 900Mbps down and 900Mbps up (ATT Gigabit ISP). Now it is struggling to hit 500Mbps down and 600Mbps up. I tried the beta drivers and it seemes to have caused the issue to worsen ( 300 Mbps down and 300Mbps up). This was an upgrade from a WRT 1900AC and that router was consistent with 800Mbps up/down. I will try the beta drivers again tonight and see if I get different results, if not this piece of junk is going to be returned...

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 70 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

Are we ever going to get a reply back to the questions we've been asking Jason? Or should we escalate this to a higher authority? 

Message 71 of 251
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have already returned the nighthawk and moved on to an Asus RT-AC5300 router.

Message 72 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@sraesmit wrote:

Are we ever going to get a reply back to the questions we've been asking Jason? Or should we escalate this to a higher authority? 

The only reply I got was a PM suggesting I would start logging the bugs and sending the files to Netgear. They are never going to fix the bugs, so it is time to escalate to a higher authority. I no longer use the router and I try to sell it, but nobody wants to buy a piece of junk.

Message 73 of 251
Highlighted
Apprentice

@hired wrote:

I just recently purchased this router and am experiencing drop off on my bandwidth. When I first set the nighthawk up I was consistently getting 900Mbps down and 900Mbps up (ATT Gigabit ISP). Now it is struggling to hit 500Mbps down and 600Mbps up. I tried the beta drivers and it seemes to have caused the issue to worsen ( 300 Mbps down and 300Mbps up). This was an upgrade from a WRT 1900AC and that router was consistent with 800Mbps up/down. I will try the beta drivers again tonight and see if I get different results, if not this piece of junk is going to be returned...

I suggest you return it while you can, it's not going to get better. There is no customer support from Netgear. Look into Asus instead.

Message 74 of 251
Highlighted
Master

@Mark1958 @Bunny17

I am the Guru Mark1985 referenced. 

I am currently running Kong's DD-WRT on my r8000. Runs without issue for me, but I only use the wireless connectivity and routing. No VPN or anything like that. As for Openwrt/LEDE for this router, they basicly do not have a build. The issue is they have to use an open source driver for it and the driver only supports 2.4 b/g the last time I checked. Brainslayer, developer of DD-WRT, has signed a non-disclosure letter and paid for the license with Netgear so he has access to the drivers, etc. 

Currently there is no DD-WRT build for the r8000p and NO you cannot load the r8000 build on the r8000p. 

If you do not know where Kong's builds are they are here. 

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

I am currently running the 3-28 firmware in the test directory. 

Feel free to send a private note if you do not want to clutter this thread with off topic stuff like DD-WRT. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 75 of 251
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements