Better WiFi Connection With The Latest R8000P and R7900P Firmware

Dustin_V
Community Manager

Better WiFi Connection With The Latest R8000P and R7900P Firmware

nighthaw-fix.png

NETGEAR has identified a software bug that can cause intermittent Internet and/or WiFi disconnects for the Nighthawk R8000P and R7900P. For more information and updated firmware please visit the knowledgebase articles below: 

R8000P - Firmware Version 1.4.0.10

R7900P - Firmware Version 1.4.0.10i

If you continue to experience unexpected behavior with disconnects please let us know.

We look forward to your feedback.

NETGEAR Team

Message 1 of 28
Born2bprez
Initiate

Re: Better WiFi Connection With The Latest R8000P and R7900P Firmware

Since updating to the latest firmware version last weekend I can no longer log into my router remotely. I can still log into the router via the Genie app when connected to the wireless network locally.. just not remotely anymore. Tried everything I can think of.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 28
scsouders
Guide

Ive tried that update already, the next day I already had to reboot the router because the speeds died to a crawl, the wifi drops i fixed on my own by assigning all my devices an IP. But this speed degradation blows. I want my $300 back or replace it with a newer model. Ive already submitted a response to the BBB. Ive had support tickets open since October 2017 over this issue, it about time they just let me send it back for the newest model. Im forced to return to my old R7000 so my kids can take their online courses

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 28
Temper43
Aspirant

I too still need to reboot my router on a daily basis after new firmware update. Seems like it just losing connectivity and up assignment. Once I reboot it's fine. Please help
Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 4 of 28
Z2adambomb
Aspirant

Unfortunately the latest firmware update did not fix the need to reboot every 24-48hrs to maintain internet connection. I feel like the latest update maybe prolonged the period beyond 24hrs, but mine still does need rebooting about every 2 days to keep working. Not sure I can hold out for a fix any longer, as this makes a smart home setup pretty difficult. I'll have to return the router at this point.

Message 5 of 28
Temper43
Aspirant

I agree. Looking for new router but really want to keep this one since I got a good price at Costco.
Message 6 of 28
Temper43
Aspirant

It disconnected again tonight!!! Just placed order for new Asus rt88u. Bye bye Netgear!!!!
Message 7 of 28
cgrossmeier
Aspirant

Wifi stops daily after updated to Firmware Version  V1.4.0.10_1.2.14.

Since the update, the router WIFI stops responding/working and refuses new connections daily.  The administrative web interface is also unreachable on the wired network from both browser and app.    Stability has been terrible.  Disabled all unnecessary services in an effort to find the source problem but to no success.

Kind of kills the whole "Internet of Things" approach when the entire home is offline.  Previously, I had to invest in a 3Gstore Remote Power IP Switch to reboot the router when the Internet connection dropped but has no ability to monitor dropped wifi.   

Since this router was purchased from Costco, I will most likely be bringing it back for a different model and switching to an open firmware DD-WRT on something else.  This Costco specific model has had too many stability issues to be used in a home office.   I had already replaced an Orbi (no support for Nest Cams at the time) with an R7900p X6S, I think it's time to hang up the hat on Netgear quality and switch.  

Message 8 of 28
Temper43
Aspirant

Netgear is back in the box ready to be returned to Costco. Already bought my new Asus rt88u. Humming along with fantastic coverage and tput. Learned that they support mesh too. Buying more Asus now!!!! Sorry Netgear.
Message 9 of 28
neyla12
Aspirant

the wifi drops i fixed on my own by assigning all my devices an IP. But this speed degradation blows. I want my $300 back or replace it with a newer model.

Message 10 of 28
Hoser13
Tutor

When are we going to get this garbage corrected?  This is an expensive piece of crap.

Message 11 of 28
Temper43
Aspirant

I'm out. Already returned the junk.
Message 12 of 28
Cedarzz
Aspirant

Router disconnects randomly at no determined time of day or night seems to occur mostly at night when no one is using it. Have updated to latest firmware Firmware Version  V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 and still having issues please advise

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 13 of 28
Oreal
Aspirant

Same issue. This router worked fine until the firmware update, now barely functions wirelessly. Even downgrading the firmware didn’t work, haven’t been able to speak to support, shocked by how poor netgear’s customer service is. I’ll need to return it.
Message 14 of 28
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All,

A new firmware is available that believed to address the Internet connection or intermittent connection issue. Please update the firmware to 1.4.1.24. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059559/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-4-1-24

Regards,

Blanca  

Community Team

Message 15 of 28
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@Blanca_O

This newest firmware posted in this thread does not work. It failed with internet disconnection both wired and wirelessly within 4 hours of installation. The same symptom is not corrected..

Please have the software engineering team take a serious, hard and fresh look at what they are failing and try their best to remedy this. As I understand, this prolem of internet disconnection (regarless of LED patterns whiich show as if nothing wrong is happening) has been plague this router model very badly.

Terry

Message 16 of 28
myersw
Master

Do devices show as having a network connection? I would be interested in seeing what showing and renewing the IP address would show. On a Windows PC go to command prompt and enter ipconfig /all Should see the assigned IP address and DNS server address. Then renew the address by first doing ipconfig /release which clears IP info and then ipconfig /renew. See if you get an IP address and DNS server. If you do then try pinging the router usually 192.168.1.1. If that works then try pinging Internet address such as 8.8.8.8. If that works then your Internet is up, but DNS may not be working. Can find this out by doing a ping google.com. Should resolve to IP address and get reponse. If all of this works then you should be able to access the Internet resource. One of the things I have seen that folks will say they cannot get to the Internet is because they do not have a valid IP address. Happens if the DNSmasq service crashes. That is the service that provides IP address assignments and DNS lookups. Have had this happen on other model routers. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 17 of 28
adamshaban1
Aspirant

I am having same issue with the router I purchased from Costco. Updated to the latest firware as well and works fine for a few days but then requires a restart to regain internet access. Im using FIOS internet modem 

Newest firmware is suppose to address internet disconnect issues but doesnt. If this isnt fixed soon mine is going back to Costco unfortunately!

Is there a more stable firmware downgrade ?

Message 18 of 28
KRoark
Aspirant

when you updated your router to the Latest R8000P and R7900P Firmware did it tell you that all device connections would be terminated?  Is this okay to do?

Please help

Message 19 of 28
scsouders
Guide

There are other forums in here talking about the same issues connection drops and speed degradation resulting in a reboot.Firmware issues are horrid with the R8000p
Message 20 of 28
buddymonster
Tutor

The new Firmware release did not fix the problem! What is Netgear going to do next to resolve the issue? Please Help...this is all in the Forum and does not seem to be of much concern to Netgear.
Message 21 of 28
buddymonster
Tutor

Still have drop internet issue! Netgear needs to fix this issue before moving on. The least firmware (V1.4.1.24_1.2.20) update did not fix the drop daily/bi-daily internet issue. When is a fix going to be provide by Netgear?
Message 22 of 28
myersw
Master

Netgear Firmware is Crap!!!!

If within the return window get rid of this piece of **bleep**! IMHO

Sold my r8000p when it became obvious that the OEM firmware was not going to fix.

Look at Asus rt-ac-86u with Merlin firmware or Netgear r7800 with Voxel firmware. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 23 of 28
myersw
Master

The bleep was added by the forum site. Smiley Wink

Still junk!

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 24 of 28
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Newest FW 1.4.1.30 for R8000P recently available on NG download website, is so far very stable. Please try. Somebody form NG unofficially informed me that this FW version can also be used on R7900P, but if you decide to manually update your R7900P with this fw, you do it at your own risk.

Best

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router,R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements