Highlighted
Novice

Blocking device based on time schedule

So one of the main reasons I bought this router a while back was for the fuller features of parental control and wifi access control.

I'm trying to block certain devices on the network from accessing the internet (or even the wifi) during a certain timeframe. What I've found so far is the only way to do this is to set up an access schedule and a Block Services rule (all ports for a certain timeframe) then I have to apply that to an IP Address? Seriously? Not a mac address?

Is the only way to set up access schedules for certain devices by creating a Block Services rule for a certain IP address? By nature of DHCP, why would I do this? I can't seem to fine an easier way of just blocking a device by name or MAC and by time of day. Am I completely missing something?

Thanks for any help

Chris

Message 1 of 150
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Blocking device based on time schedule

I believe what you´re looking for lies in parental controls
Message 2 of 150
Highlighted
Tutor

missed the fact that you´ve already messed with PC Smiley Wink if you go through the extra step of giving an ip to each device, its in LAN-config that should to the trick...
Message 3 of 150
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Lantzer, thank you for the reply.

If I understand what you're suggesting...to give the devices I want to block a static IP. If I manually assign an IP to the devices I want to block then they can't use other Wifi outside of the house without changing back to DHCP.

This seems extremely short-sided on the options for this device at this price point.

Would the DD-WRT FW have other options? Does anyone know?

With the lack of responses...it seems like I may be stuck here.

Thanks
Message 4 of 150
Highlighted
Tutor

no here´s an example...
my sons iPad, all settings on the iPad are auto (simply connect to your wifi)
in your router you assign an ip to the iPad: adv settings, install, LAN-config...
now you can set a schedule to the ip
Message 5 of 150
Highlighted
Novice

Interesting, so it's along the same lines as reserved IPs. The router will assign that IP address to that MAC address or device, every time it logs in? Even if I ipconfig release/renew.....nice.

I will give that a shot.

Thank you.
Message 6 of 150
Highlighted
Tutor

yessir! I always assign an IP to my devices... for many reasons ftp-ing.. screensharing etc.
Message 7 of 150
Highlighted
Initiate

I'd be very grateful if someone could post the last part of this process. I have assigned an IP address to the iPad I want to restrict, but can't find the option to schedule access for that individual IP address. I'm hoping to be able to restrict 2 tablets to prevent use in the quiet hours! Thanks

Using a Netgear R7000
Message 8 of 150
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi,

I have tried this as recommended. i.e I assigned a static IP to a device and then I set a schedule and then I attempted to assign a block on services to that static IP address per the schedule.
After hitting "Apply" the page comes back with no entries in the block services table.

Is this a bug or have I done something wrong?
I have a R7000

Thanks.
Message 9 of 150
Highlighted
Guide

This does work for the R6100. I was able to block all services for my son's reserved IP by entering port numbers 0-65535 in the block services table under the Advanced tab and then click on security. You can apply the schedule by clicking "per schedule" under "services blocking".
Message 10 of 150
Highlighted
Guide

Day-of-week customization of service and site filters

Is there a NetGear router that offers a different schedule for each day of the week? I have a teenager, and we would like to restrict access at 10pm on school nights, and later on non-school nights.
Message 11 of 150
Highlighted
Novice

Re: Blocking device based on time schedule C6300

PLEASE HELP!!! I have called and called tech support and can not get an answer how to use the "block services" tab for more than one device. I seems to work with one, or a range of IP addresses, but when I want to "add" another I get the error message that this is a "duplicate device". I don't understand why, and another 1.5 hours on tech support for the 4x is driving me crazy. Really I want to limit the hours my kids are on the internet without having to "collect" devices. Sometimes I'm working and not home to monitor it. I looked at each device and have a list of the IP extensions for each one, am I missing something?
Message 12 of 150
Highlighted
Aspirant

Through a paid OpenDNS account you can block on a time schedule and through the Netgear Parental settings in OpenDNS you can set up a Bypass Account for the adults. This may work on the free OpenDNS account, not sure.

Per their website, these are the steps to create a Bypass Account.

1. Download NETGEAR genie
Each user who wants to bypass your default settings must be logged in as the bypass account through NETGEAR genie while browsing the Web. You may install this on multiple devices (Windows, Mac, or mobile NETGEAR Genie for iPhone/iPad and Android devices).

2. Add a bypass account
Choose a username and password that will be used to login to NETGEAR genie you downloaded in step one.

3. Set filtering level for the bypass account
Make sure to apply a filtering level for the bypass account that is lower than your default setting.
Message 13 of 150
Highlighted

Thank you this worked for me with the nighthawk 7000.
It seems like the developers could add a more elegant solution to their next firmware update!
Message 14 of 150
Highlighted
Initiate

Found out that on my modem/router it doesn't support OpenDNS or parental controls.... funny thing is that the box says it does, the web site says it does, a video for the product says it does.. but I digress.

So if I want to carve out some IP's as always on.. and assign them static IP's from 10-15 let's say...  Then I want to have no internet access from 12am - 8am.. AND 8pm - 11:59pm  How do I do it?

When I add the schedule kids-morning to disable ALL services for IPs > 15.. that saves... but if I try to create a second entry for ALL services wit the schedule kids-evening.. I get the duplicate service error.

So really can this Router not schedule non contiguous blocks of time for similar services...  

Message 15 of 150
Highlighted
Master

Hi @GeoGuy,

NETGEAR is working to implement the feature in the near future. You may check the updated FAQs.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24580/~/c3000%2Fc3700-faqs

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 16 of 150
Highlighted
Tutor

The one feature you need to add is the ability to add multiple schedules that can be applied to individual devices independently. I hate having my traffic filtered by third party companies, so I will never use OpenDNS, but I want to be able to control internet access for each device with individual schedules. I really hope this is what you're going to implement and I also hope to see it real soon.

Message 17 of 150
Highlighted
Initiate

Apparently Netgear's Parental Control is a joke. It only lets you control stuff related to which websites can be surfed and even that - without differentiation between parents' and kids' devices. And basically you can set that up in a child's browser settings anyway (if the kid is smart enough to go and change those settings, he might not need parental control of that kind anymore).

However, the real control - or what most parents call "curfew" - is still possible, although requires a bit of a PhD in networking, but here's a walk-through to make the process less painful:

1. Log-in in to your Netgear router.
  2. Go to the Advanced tab -> Setup -> LAN Setup. At the bottom, under the Address reservation table, click on +Add button. What you're going to do now is to tell the router to always give your kids' devices the same exact IP whenever they connect to the network. This is needed for step 7 to work.
  3. Inside the Address reservation page (which sometimes fails to load - try until it does, I couldn't figure out what makes it fail) you'll see a table of all the currently connected devices. Sometimes they have understandable names (like JohnysiPodtouch) but sometimes it's just an IP and MAC address. You'll need to figure out which are the ones you're after.
  4. Check the radio box besides the desired device and click +Add button. Repeat 3-4 for each device that you want to curfew.
  5. Go to Security -> Schedule. Add a schedule by clicking on the +Add button, selecting all days (unfortunately it's impossible to have several schedules, e.g. for weekends and for weekdays), and then defining the hours you want the kids to NOT be able to browse (e.g. from 21:00 to 7:00)
  6. Go to Security -> Block services. Click +Add. In Service Type, select "User defined". In Protocol, select "TCP/UDP". In Starting Port, type 1. In Ending Port, type 65535. In Service Type/User Defined, type something descriptive like "Johny's iPod restriction".
  7. Now select "Only This IP Address:" and type the address of Johny's iPod (that you saw in step 3) and click +Add. In the Block services table, make sure to select the "Per schedule" radio button and select the schedule you've defined in step 5.
  8. Repeat 6-7 for each device you want to block.
  9. Click Apply. You're all done.

Message 18 of 150
Highlighted
Initiate

Unfortunately, it worked only if your kids didn't know how to change their device's IP addresses. 

I had fixed IP address reservations for my daughter's iPhone and iMac, all worked fine until one day she Googled and found how to change her device's IP address to avoid my blocked IP range (won't be hard in just a few tries to find out), then it failed to block her devices.

It's a shame for such a high priced Netgear router unable to set block based on MAC address, or set different schedules for different devices!!! 

Message 19 of 150
Highlighted
Star

I agree with Ograf2 above, my son changed his IP address took him a few minutes on Google, he thinks he's a smart A** now.

I'm utterly bamboozled why a product as good as the Nighthawk has such lame control, sorry but netgenie doesn’t cut it, like the other user I don’t want all my traffic going through DNS that’s not a realistic solution.

The irony is, the BT HH5 I replaced with the Nighthawk could MAC block very easily, gutted that I now have no control over the times the kids can use the product, this is unacceptable, come on Netgear get this fixed, how hard can it be to add MAC addresses to the radio buttons in the service scheduling.  You also need an option to block MAC services that aren't currently logged in otherwise it's a pain having to wait until they're online.  Not very well thought out guys for the product price!!!!  At the moment I'm having to turn wifi off manually at 11pm every night... Joke!

Message 20 of 150
Highlighted
Initiate
Initiate

OK. I have an R7000. I set up a schedule, gave a device a fixed IP, and blocked that IP from "ALL", according to my schedule. The schedule says "start blocking at 19h00, stop blocking at 07h00". The time setting on the router are correct.

Now at 08:34 (router time) the device is still blocked.... I have checked all the settings over and over and have rebooted the router twice, still at 09h11 no connections on that device. It looks like the R7000 is simply ignoring the schedule. Any clues what goes wrong here?

Message 21 of 150
Highlighted
Master

Hi @SR,

Welcome to Community!

Can you try to set the start blocking to 00h30 and blocking to 7h00. This is just to test of the blocking works when the set time is just within a day.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 22 of 150
Highlighted
Guide

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I went through the first set of steps to assign a reserved (static) IP to the devices I wanted to block on a schedule. Unfortunately, there must be a bug in the Nighthawk R7000 since it doesn't react to the radio button for "Per Schedule" under Block Services. I hope Netgear adds new functionality soon to make this process more intuitive.

Message 23 of 150
Highlighted
Guide

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi @GeoGuy,

NETGEAR is working to implement the feature in the near future. You may check the updated FAQs.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24580/~/c3000%2Fc3700-faqs

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

@JamesGL,

Can you tell us rough estimate of when this feature will be implemented?

Thanks.

Message 24 of 150
Highlighted
Master

Hi @acford,

I cannot provide a time frame when it it will be implented or if it will be added in upcoming firmware release.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 25 of 150
Top Contributors
Announcements