Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Boot mode - DD-Wrt

RandyDenver
Aspirant

Boot mode - DD-Wrt

Trying to force R8500 into boot mode. Want to install older firmware and then install DD-WRT. Holding reset while powering on not working. Was told had to install older R8500 firmware to get DD-WRT firmware to install.
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
myersw
Master

Since this is a Netgear firmware forum and not a DD-WRT forum, you will get better help on the DD-WRT forums. 

My experience with DD-WRT was always able to install DD-WRT just like a Netgear firmware via manual firmware install process. Maybe this is different with the r8500, don't know and will get better help on the DD-WRT forums.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
myersw
Master

Does the router still have Netgear on it and come up? If so you should be able to grab the firmware from Netgear site and do a manual install. No need for the fancy stuff you are trying to do. Be carefull if you are going to install dd-wrt as you will want to research how you get back. 

That might require using a serial connection, has in my case, but not on this model router. 

Message 2 of 4
RandyDenver
Aspirant

Router still boots fine with current Netgear Firmware.  Need high security.  Plan to use ExpressVPN.  Was told that DD-WRT was better firmware but when I try to use TFTP to install DD-WRT it just times out.  Also was told that router had to be placed in "boot mode" so it would take an TFTP install.  Holding "reset" while powering up router does not seem to put it in a boot mode.  Thank you for kind response.  Let's start over.  I need to be invisible, high security from outside.  Do I need DD-WRT?  Is ExpressVPN right choice?  If so to both, any idea why TFTP install of DD-WRT is timing out?  Many, many thanks.  ExpressVPN support has been no help.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
myersw
Master

Since this is a Netgear firmware forum and not a DD-WRT forum, you will get better help on the DD-WRT forums. 

My experience with DD-WRT was always able to install DD-WRT just like a Netgear firmware via manual firmware install process. Maybe this is different with the r8500, don't know and will get better help on the DD-WRT forums.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7