Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bought a used r8500..having issues setting it up

tester2011
Guide

Bought a used r8500..having issues setting it up

I purchased a used a R8500 today and went onto set it up. Put my Rogers modem into bridge mode and then went onto setup the router. I factory rested the fouter in case the other persons setting was still there. I was able to have hardwired connection working for a few minutes before it disconnects and then comes back on. The blue light on the antenna and wifi would come and go and I was uable to login to the router. I tried routerlogin and the ip addresses and had no success. I am now out of ideas what to do. I can not even connect to the wifi which barely gives me enough time to connect. Not sure what the software version. 

I hope I do not have a brick and someone on here can help me.

I am using Windows 10 and yes I cleared the cache on Chrome.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 34
plemans
Guru

Re: Bought a used r8500..having issues setting it up

If you unplug it from the modem and attempt to set it up without an internet connection, can you? 

Message 2 of 34
tester2011
Guide

Haven't tried..but is that even possible?
Message 3 of 34

Greetings,

Yes.  The router is capable of operating independently.

If it doesn't have an internet connection avaialble, you can still log into it to change or modify its settings.  

Message 4 of 34
tester2011
Guide

I'll give that a try. Is it not normal for it to have the wifi go on and off every minute and also drop a hardwired connection every minute and then reconnect? Or is it because it's not set up?
Message 5 of 34
plemans
Guru

yes, you can set it up without an internet connection. 

Just trying to rule out the modem being an issue. 

You can try disconnecting it from the modem, push and hold reset on the router for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. Then on reboot try setting everything up manually. You just do it using a pc/laptop versus using the app. 

Message 6 of 34
tester2011
Guide

As far as the ports go. Do I use the "internet" port on the router to connect my router to my modem? When try to do it that way I don't get any hardwired connection but connecting to any other port I get connection.
Message 7 of 34
plemans
Guru

You do use the internet port to connect to the modem. 

What actual modem do you have? 

Message 8 of 34
tester2011
Guide

I have a black modem from Rogers. Not sure what company is it and if they still use Hitron.
Message 9 of 34
plemans
Guru

the modem should have a model number on it somewhere for us to go off. Just making sure you're not in a double nat. 

Message 10 of 34
tester2011
Guide

Its Arris XB6

Message 11 of 34
plemans
Guru

The arris xb6 is a modem/router combo device. It isn't a modem only device. It causes a double nat. 

Options? (only use 1)

1. put the arris in modem only mode. 

2. put the netgears IP address into the arris's dmz

3. put the netgear in access point mode. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 12 of 34
tester2011
Guide

Is putting the Arris modem/router into bridge mode not good enough?

Also as asked before..do I use the "INTERNET" port on the Netgear to my Arris...been having no internet connection by doing that but the other ports work fine and I have a connection

Message 13 of 34
plemans
Guru

"the other ports work fine"? you mean the other ports on the arris? If they're still working, bridge mode isn't setup properly (or isn't functioning properly). 

Message 14 of 34
tester2011
Guide

I meant to say on the Netgear router, if I plug the ethernet cable into the Internet port and then connect it to my modem I don't get any internet. But changing the port to non internet port on the Netgear gets me the internet. 

I was wondering if I am doing it right or what..

Message 15 of 34
plemans
Guru

Have you tried the modem in modem/router mode and the r8500 in access point mode? 

Message 16 of 34
tester2011
Guide

I actually may have a bigger issue..the Netgear reboots by itself on its own...I have done a factory reset but is there a more thorough reset that can be done?

Message 17 of 34
plemans
Guru

Maybe there was a reason they were selling it? 

Maybe it has bad firmware? I'd try reinstalling that version of the firmware or even a version lower. then do the factory reset and reinstall. 

Message 18 of 34
tester2011
Guide

I want to install the firmware but I cant even access the router to begin with...is there any other way to load the firmware other then online?

Message 19 of 34
plemans
Guru

You can update it manually while its not online. 

How do I manually update the firmware on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

disconnect if from the modem, reboot it, and try the manual update. 

If it doesn't work, we can always try tftp or nmrpflash. 

Message 20 of 34
tester2011
Guide

Can you explain to me step by step if possible as I can not login to the router via routerlogin or anything

Message 21 of 34
plemans
Guru

are you on windows? if so, follow this guide

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure you enable tftp 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through. Its using a tftp client but its just an example of how it works/goes. Use the built in windows tftp. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 22 of 34
tester2011
Guide

Thanks for the help guys. I have given up and and have emailed Netgear to see if they can help me out as I was th eonly one that registered the device. Previous owner did not.

Message 23 of 34

Posted to the wrong thread.  Please ignore this post.

Message 24 of 34

@tester2011 wrote:

Can you explain to me step by step if possible as I can not login to the router via routerlogin or anything

Why not? What prevents you?

Reading this long discussion I can see that you got off to the wrong start from the off. As you still seem to be having trouble, let's try again.

The following process does not rely on any connection to the Internet. While you are at it, ignore the wifi. All you need is the ability to plug the router into the LAN port on a PC.

The first  move is to factory reset the R8500.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If that doesn't work, then try this:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

After you have done that, look at the power LED. If it is solid white, the things is OK. If it is blinking white, The firmware is corrupted. That means you need special measures to mend it:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Before you do that, download the latest firmware and use that for the TFTP process.

Now you can begin the installation process.

So far you haven't needed any Internet connection. This is where you can start playing with that. Dig out the Quickstart guide for the router and do what it says to connect things together.

Here it is important to do things in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

It is all very simple and straightforward. Do not overthink the process. Do not try skipping any steps. And do it all in the correct order.

This is the same as @shadowsports and @plemans have explained, but they had to do this before they knew all of the factors at your end. (This only became clear as the conversation progressed.) If the process fails at any stage, look at the LEDs on the thing. They will tell you where things are going wrong.

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7