Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bought a used r8500..having issues setting it up

tester2011
Guide

Re: Bought a used r8500..having issues setting it up

Thanks for jumping in to help.

What prevents me is the router rebooting itself in a minute. It will not let me do anything. I have tried the no internet connection method and I cannot get to the router at all. Ftp method also failed.
Message 26 of 34

Greetings,
After power cycling and allowing the router to start fully (1-2 min) what do the LEDs indicate?
The power LED is what we're most interested in.

After boot it should be solid white. If it continues to blink white or is solid amber, the FW is most likely corrupt. A problem with the routers power supply can also cause erratic behavior but typically I would suspect a problem with its firmware first.

Message 27 of 34
tester2011
Guide

The power led is AMBER. 

The other thing is I contacted Netgear support and they need the reciept for the unit for the warranty. The warranty is valid until next year of March. But I have no way of obatining a receipt or contacting the seller as he deleted hsi facebook account after selling me the unit. 

This is what the warranty page shows me:

Product: R8500 Serial Number: ************ Country of Purchase: Canada Puchased on: 2021-02-26 Registered on: 2021-02-26

Standard Product Warranty * Hardware Warranty: Available till 2022-02-26 Chat Support: Available till 2021-05-27 Phone Support: Available till 2021-05-27 Email Support: Available till 2021-05-27 Power Supply Warranty: Available till 2022-02-26 Accessories Warranty: Available till 2022-02-26
Message 28 of 34
tester2011
Guide

Heres some pictures of what I am exountering:

https://ibb.co/8j7Cr1T
https://ibb.co/mDY2Gr

Message 29 of 34

@tester2011 wrote:

The power led is AMBER. 

The thing is bust.

You were sold a pup.

@tester2011 wrote:

The other thing is I contacted Netgear support and they need the reciept for the unit for the warranty. The warranty is valid until next year of March. But I have no way of obatining a receipt or contacting the seller as he deleted hsi facebook account after selling me the unit. 

Warranties are not transferable.

You either put it down to experience and write off the purchase, or persevere with TFTP.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This also explains how to tell Windows to use TFTP on your PC.

TFTP isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it you could try a web search for videos that guide you through the process.

For example:

Different device, but the approach is the same.

The good news is that TFTP has rescued many a dead device.

Message 30 of 34
tester2011
Guide

TFTP did not do the job so I will be resorting to the USB_TTL cable method. Netgear support has been no help. There was wwarranty on the unit and the correspindant who emailed me decided to ask me for a photo of the serial number in order to transfer the unit to me and then at the same time ceasing the warranty after transfer. I've emailed them back and no response, been 3 days.

Never buying a Netgear again!

Message 31 of 34

@tester2011 wrote:

There was wwarranty on the unit and the correspindant who emailed me decided to ask me for a photo of the serial number in order to transfer the unit to me and then at the same time ceasing the warranty after transfer.

I'm surprised they even offered. Warranties don't usually transfer.

@tester2011 wrote:

Never buying a Netgear again!

You bought used. Heaven only knows what damage the original owner had done to the thing. Maybe that's why they sold it.

Message 32 of 34
tester2011
Guide

Having tried numerous steps to resolve the issue my router is now stuck on solid white. Power LED is white and another 4 LEDS. I have removed the board from the case.

Is it looking good for me? Before it was just AMBER power led light and would reboot.

Message 33 of 34

@tester2011 wrote:

Is it looking good for me? Before it was just AMBER power led light and would reboot.

Looks OK, although, not knowing what those other four LEDs are, no guarantees.

Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7