Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Brand new R8000 having speed issues

AbsolutZeroGI
Aspirant

Brand new R8000 having speed issues

Hello, long time Netgear user, first time caller in the forums. I recently purchased an R8000 AC3200 to replace my aging (and dying) Nighthawk AC1900. 

For a good 4-5 days I had no problems at all. However, today, the router basically dropped all download speeds. Upload speeds were unaffected and the download speeds returned after a reboot. 

I know over time these routers get more and more finicky, but I'm a little concerned that the download speeds literally died in a week. Sure a reboot brougth them back, but is this a normal problem people have or did I just get unlucky once? Thank you!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: Brand new R8000 having speed issues

@AbsolutZeroGI wrote:

Firmware: V1.0.4.46_10.1.63

When I click "check for update", it says there are no updates. 

BAD BAD F/W that does cause problems.

You probably had V1.0.4.28 on the router when you bought it, but it also had AUTO-UPDATE enabled... and when that happened, you had the problem.

I suggest to log into Support at top, enter R8000 and select DOWNLOADS, then open PRIOR VERSIONS (+) and get selected V1.0.4.28. Click on the README for details on how to install the f/w. When told you are installing an older version do OK. Once the router reboots, TURN OF AUTO-UPDATE. Maybe the next f/w release might work, so keep checking here or on the Support tab to see if/when it is released.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Which firmware are you using? a number, not "the latest"

Message 2 of 6
AbsolutZeroGI
Aspirant

Message 3 of 6

What's the modem, if any, in front of this thing?

Message 4 of 6
IrvSp
Master

@AbsolutZeroGI wrote:

BAD BAD F/W that does cause problems.

You probably had V1.0.4.28 on the router when you bought it, but it also had AUTO-UPDATE enabled... and when that happened, you had the problem.

I suggest to log into Support at top, enter R8000 and select DOWNLOADS, then open PRIOR VERSIONS (+) and get selected V1.0.4.28. Click on the README for details on how to install the f/w. When told you are installing an older version do OK. Once the router reboots, TURN OF AUTO-UPDATE. Maybe the next f/w release might work, so keep checking here or on the Support tab to see if/when it is released.

Message 5 of 6
AbsolutZeroGI
Aspirant

Well, I'm happy to hear that it's most likely the firmware. It hasn't happened since I rebooted the router so it'll probably be an occasional thing until Netgear puts out a fix. 

Thank you very much for the advice and I do plan on checking out that f/w and maybe installing it if the problem gets too ridiculous. I try not to downgrade f/w unless I absolutely have to because, well, sometimes you win and sometimes...

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. Believe it or not, glad to hear it's bad f/w and not bad hardware because that would just make me so sad. This thing is a beast when I have all my stuff up and running. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7