Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bricked R6120|AC1200 Router

qomarf
Guide

Bricked R6120|AC1200 Router

Hi,

So I was updating the firmware for my R6120|AC1200 router using the nighthawk app and during the procedure there was a power outage and caused the router to probably brick as I am unable to use it or gain access to it.

Now I have scoured through all previous posts and knowledge on this available, and have tried 30-30-30 reset method as well as tftp firmware push (tftp did not work as I had no way to ascertain that and moreover I was unable to successfully ping the device from windows command line https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client) 

The device is now either in one of the below state:
- Power led (green) blinking when the device is powered up normally 

https://youtu.be/GtP5ws5JTRA

- Both power (green) and lan (green) leds blinking alternatively if powered on while holding the reset button

https://youtu.be/uJVYYu9ZMvw

Please help. Thanks.

Model: R6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
qomarf
Guide

Re: Bricked R6120|AC1200 Router

SO HERE'S THE FIX (Worked for me and my Netgear R6120 router):

This is a fix for Netgear Router R6120 which got bricked due to interruption in the middle of the latest firmware update (in my case it was power failure).

>Firmware version used for the fix-

>>1.0.0.66

>>(http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6120/R6120-V1.0.0.66.zip)

>Tool used for the fix-

>>Native TFTP using Command Prompt (with administrative privilege) in Windows.

>>Operating Sysytem: Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.900)

>KB used-

>>Article on Medium by Nitin Kaveriappa Udiyanda Muthanna (@nitinkaveriappa) 

>>(https://medium.com/@nitinkaveriappa/how-to-unbrick-a-bricked-netgear-router-92b4b1e98eeb)

>Special Thanks and Acknowledgement-

>>Thanks to @antinode  who continually prodded me on each of my result to attempt the next one and until I finally was able to fix it.

>>Thanks to @Retired_Member  who brought back this thread to life after two months and when I had left all hopes and assumed hardware failure. His suggestion with OpenWrt is also a probable solution, which I may not have been able to execute properly.  

>>Ofcourse to Nitin, the one who wrote the article @Medium by compiling his knowledge from various sources.

>The KB if followed along with my steps will fix the router if there’s a firmware corruption (I had to improvise as the router model is different and therefore did not work exactly the way it was mentioned). I have quoted directly from the KB article of Nitin along with my comments (marked by ** and blue font color) below:

>Here are the Steps below which is meant to guide you to reload firmware onto your Netgear Router which has been bricked and hence does not even boot up.

>>First download and save the latest firmware file for your specific router model from the official website https://www.netgear.com/support/. Make sure to extract the file if what you downloaded is a zipped file. The firmware file format is either .img or .chk file.

>>Connect your PC to the Router using a LAN cable and set it up to have a static IP address. (See below for the detailed Steps)

>>Click on the Windows Start and go to Turn Windows features on and off and select TFTP Client and go through the steps to turn on this Windows feature.

>>Open Command Prompt and change directory to go to the location where the downloaded firmware file is located.

>>Type in the command tftp -i [router IP] put [firmware filename].[file format]. Do NOT press Enter yet.

>>Example: tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put R6120-V1.0.0.66.img

>>Unplug all port connections from router except the PC you are using to upload and reset the router. Reset usually involves holding down the reset button at the back of the router using a paper clip for more than 5 seconds and then while holding turn ON the router.

** In my case after completing this step, both Power LED and Ethernet LED started blinking alternately and gave me “Connect Request Failed” message when I executed the next step. What I did was switch off the router again by pushing the router power button (the power button for R6120 is more of latch type push button).

>>Now press Enter in the command prompt on the connected PC and execute the TFTP command.

**As soon as I pressed Enter, I quickly switched on the router again.

>>Wait for a few minutes (be patient, do not reboot the router).

**You will get a message in the command prompt, something like “Transfer successful: 12865975 bytes in 10 second(s), 1286597 bytes/s”

>>When the upload is successful, the Power LED will turn solid. The rest of LED’s on the router will also turn ON indicating that the router has booted up properly.

**For me the Power LED started blinking rapidly and then stabilizing to solid. I was hopeful the moment the Wifi and the Ethernet LEDs also turned solid green. Give it all the time it needs, grab a coffee, look the other way but please give it time. Should not take more than 5-6 minutes. Just don’t be impatient like me.

** Next, I assume you know the drill…..type in 192.168.1.1 on your browser and press Enter from the PC that is still connected to the router via LAN cable…….or connecting to the default Netgear WiFi, which should have also become available by now.

>>Steps to set up your Windows 10 PC to have a static IP address

>>Click on the Windows Start and go to Control Panel and select Network and Internet, then select View Network Status and Tasks, then select Change adapter settings.

>>Right-Click on Ethernet and select Properties and then double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).

>>Select Use the following IP address and set the IP address information like below:

>>IP address — 192.168.1.3

** IP address  - 192.168.1.2 (This is not something madatory but I had this set from beforehand from my earlier attempts)

>>Subnet mask — 255.255.255.0

>>Default Gateway — 192.168.1.1

>>and then click OK to save the configuration.

>>Note: Please remember to change your PC settings back to Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
additude
Virtuoso

Hello,

Is this a new purchase that is still in Warranty?

If you have tried all those fixes and nothing works then I'd say that your router is unrecoverable.

If it's in warranty, you may be able to get a replacement.

Message 2 of 14
qomarf
Guide

Ouch!

It's no longer under warranty....

is there no other solution at all?? i have never had an issue like these with other brands where I was able to recover...
Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 3 of 14
antinode
Guru

> [...] I have scoured through all previous posts [...]

"all"?  Thanks for the helpful links.

> [...] (tftp did not work as I had no way to ascertain that and
> moreover I was unable to successfully ping the device from windows
> command line [...]

"ascertain that"?  What?

"did not work" or "unable" is not a useful problem description.  It
does not say what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did
it.  As usual, showing actual actions (commands) with their actual
results (error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than
vague descriptions or interpretations.

The TFTP recovery scheme is a multi-step procedure which offers
multiple opportunities for user input, hence user error.  By itself,
saying that you tried it doesn't say much.  Especially when
using a command-line program, copy+paste is your friend.

> [...] Power led (green) blinking when the device is powered up
> normally [...]

I'd try the TFTP recovery scheme.  If that fails, then I'd return
here with a better description of actions and results.

Message 4 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Netgear router are quite unbrickable due to nmrpflash. I had the same exact situation with my r6120. I unbricked it using nmrpflash. Go to openwrt r6120 page or just contact me.
Message 5 of 14
qomarf
Guide

@Retired_Member wrote:
Netgear router are quite unbrickable due to nmrpflash. I had the same exact situation with my r6120. I unbricked it using nmrpflash. Go to openwrt r6120 page or just contact me.

Hi, Thank you so much for reaching out! I will try the nmrpflash as suggested.

Message 6 of 14
qomarf
Guide

@qomarf wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

Hi, Thank you so much for reaching out! I will try the nmrpflash as suggested.

Tried and tested with below results:

Advertising NMRP server on net2 ... \
Received configuration request from <mac address>.
Sending configuration: 192.168.1.1/24.
Received upload request without filename.
Uploading firmware.img ... OK  '' renamed the actual file to type the command quicker
Waiting for remote to respond.
Received keep-alive request (3).
Remote finished. Closing connection.
Reboot your device now.

But the moment I tried to get in using SSH after rebooting it is still showing:

ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.1 port 22: Connection timed out 

That's where I am stuck for now.

Help @Retired_Member 

Message 7 of 14
antinode
Guru

> [...] '' renamed the actual file to type the command quicker [...]

Was that something which the program said, or was that your own idea?

I'd leave the file name as-was. If it's too long, then use

copy+paste.

> But the moment I tried to get in using SSH [...]

Why would you expect that to work?

Message 8 of 14
qomarf
Guide

@antinode wrote:

> [...] '' renamed the actual file to type the command quicker [...]

Was that something which the program said, or was that your own idea?

I'd leave the file name as-was. If it's too long, then use

copy+paste.

> But the moment I tried to get in using SSH [...]

Why would you expect that to work?

>>Was that something which the program said, or was that your own idea?

Tried as-was as well but same results

>>Why would you expect that to work?

I thought it worked as it said Reboot Device Now. Did I miss any part of the message which indicated that there was a problem?

Message 9 of 14
antinode
Guru

> I thought it worked as it said Reboot Device Now. [...]

Not every device with a computer inside accepts SSH connections. In
particular, many Netgear routers don't.

> Tried as-was as well but same results

Which file, exactly, are you sending to the router?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Look for "SSH".  Find
anything?  Now look for the LED descriptions and "Troubleshoot".  The
LEDs may not reveal all the interesting data, but they should tell you
(and us) more than a non-working SSH connection ever will.

Message 10 of 14
qomarf
Guide

@antinode wrote:

> I thought it worked as it said Reboot Device Now. [...]

Not every device with a computer inside accepts SSH connections. In

> Tried as-was as well but same results

Which file, exactly, are you sending to the router?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look

> Not every device with a computer inside accepts SSH connections. In

Noted

>Which file, exactly, are you sending to the router?

netgear_r6120-squashfs-factory.img

(Source: https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ramips/mt76x8/) 

As instructed in this link: https://openwrt.org/toh/netgear/netgear_r6120

>> Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look

Will do and try the troubleshoots mentioned

(https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6120/R6120_UM_EN.pdf)

Message 11 of 14
antinode
Guru

> As instructed in this link:
> https://openwrt.org/toh/netgear/netgear_r6120

I was assuming that you were working with Netgear firmware, not some
third-party firmware.  For problems with OpenWrt, you might get better
information from the OpenWrt people.  For example, that page says:

Currently, OpenWrt can be installed on the R6120 only by using the
      nmrpflash tool.

Perhaps you should read and follow the instructions for the firmware
which you are trying to use.

>    Not every device with a computer inside accepts SSH connections. In
> particular, many Netgear routers don't.

That's true for Netgear firmware, not, apparently, for OpenWrt.

Message 12 of 14
qomarf
Guide

@antinode wrote:

> As instructed in this link:
> https://openwrt.org/toh/netgear/netgear_r6120

I was assuming that you were working with Netgear firmware, not some
third-party firmware.  For problems with OpenWrt, you might get better
information from the OpenWrt people.  For example, that page says:

Currently, OpenWrt can be installed on the R6120 only by using the
      nmrpflash tool.

Perhaps you should read and follow the instructions for the firmware
which you are trying to use.

>    Not every device with a computer inside accepts SSH connections. In
> particular, many Netgear routers don't.

That's true for Netgear firmware, not, apparently, for OpenWrt.

>>> I have followed their instructions to the point, however, no joy.

*******ON THE BRIGHT SIDE I HAVE FIXED IT USING THE NETGEAR FIRMWARE******
Articulating it on the next post for everyone's convenient.....

Message 13 of 14
qomarf
Guide

SO HERE'S THE FIX (Worked for me and my Netgear R6120 router):

This is a fix for Netgear Router R6120 which got bricked due to interruption in the middle of the latest firmware update (in my case it was power failure).

>Firmware version used for the fix-

>>1.0.0.66

>>(http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6120/R6120-V1.0.0.66.zip)

>Tool used for the fix-

>>Native TFTP using Command Prompt (with administrative privilege) in Windows.

>>Operating Sysytem: Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.900)

>KB used-

>>Article on Medium by Nitin Kaveriappa Udiyanda Muthanna (@nitinkaveriappa) 

>>(https://medium.com/@nitinkaveriappa/how-to-unbrick-a-bricked-netgear-router-92b4b1e98eeb)

>Special Thanks and Acknowledgement-

>>Thanks to @antinode  who continually prodded me on each of my result to attempt the next one and until I finally was able to fix it.

>>Thanks to @Retired_Member  who brought back this thread to life after two months and when I had left all hopes and assumed hardware failure. His suggestion with OpenWrt is also a probable solution, which I may not have been able to execute properly.  

>>Ofcourse to Nitin, the one who wrote the article @Medium by compiling his knowledge from various sources.

>The KB if followed along with my steps will fix the router if there’s a firmware corruption (I had to improvise as the router model is different and therefore did not work exactly the way it was mentioned). I have quoted directly from the KB article of Nitin along with my comments (marked by ** and blue font color) below:

>Here are the Steps below which is meant to guide you to reload firmware onto your Netgear Router which has been bricked and hence does not even boot up.

>>First download and save the latest firmware file for your specific router model from the official website https://www.netgear.com/support/. Make sure to extract the file if what you downloaded is a zipped file. The firmware file format is either .img or .chk file.

>>Connect your PC to the Router using a LAN cable and set it up to have a static IP address. (See below for the detailed Steps)

>>Click on the Windows Start and go to Turn Windows features on and off and select TFTP Client and go through the steps to turn on this Windows feature.

>>Open Command Prompt and change directory to go to the location where the downloaded firmware file is located.

>>Type in the command tftp -i [router IP] put [firmware filename].[file format]. Do NOT press Enter yet.

>>Example: tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put R6120-V1.0.0.66.img

>>Unplug all port connections from router except the PC you are using to upload and reset the router. Reset usually involves holding down the reset button at the back of the router using a paper clip for more than 5 seconds and then while holding turn ON the router.

** In my case after completing this step, both Power LED and Ethernet LED started blinking alternately and gave me “Connect Request Failed” message when I executed the next step. What I did was switch off the router again by pushing the router power button (the power button for R6120 is more of latch type push button).

>>Now press Enter in the command prompt on the connected PC and execute the TFTP command.

**As soon as I pressed Enter, I quickly switched on the router again.

>>Wait for a few minutes (be patient, do not reboot the router).

**You will get a message in the command prompt, something like “Transfer successful: 12865975 bytes in 10 second(s), 1286597 bytes/s”

>>When the upload is successful, the Power LED will turn solid. The rest of LED’s on the router will also turn ON indicating that the router has booted up properly.

**For me the Power LED started blinking rapidly and then stabilizing to solid. I was hopeful the moment the Wifi and the Ethernet LEDs also turned solid green. Give it all the time it needs, grab a coffee, look the other way but please give it time. Should not take more than 5-6 minutes. Just don’t be impatient like me.

** Next, I assume you know the drill…..type in 192.168.1.1 on your browser and press Enter from the PC that is still connected to the router via LAN cable…….or connecting to the default Netgear WiFi, which should have also become available by now.

>>Steps to set up your Windows 10 PC to have a static IP address

>>Click on the Windows Start and go to Control Panel and select Network and Internet, then select View Network Status and Tasks, then select Change adapter settings.

>>Right-Click on Ethernet and select Properties and then double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).

>>Select Use the following IP address and set the IP address information like below:

>>IP address — 192.168.1.3

** IP address  - 192.168.1.2 (This is not something madatory but I had this set from beforehand from my earlier attempts)

>>Subnet mask — 255.255.255.0

>>Default Gateway — 192.168.1.1

>>and then click OK to save the configuration.

>>Note: Please remember to change your PC settings back to Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7