Bricked R7000.. no computers available with ethernet ports either :(

hbk_seanmichael
Aspirant

Bricked R7000.. no computers available with ethernet ports either :(

i think i bricked my r7000 overclocking it...

the power light just stay constant amber then reboots.  The problem is I dont have any computers right now with ethernet ports.  2 laptops, 2 tablets and a surface all are ethernet portless.  I have an xbox one with an ethernet port but that doesnt do me any again.  And i doubt I can put firmware on a usb and install factory firmware that way on the r7000?

What options do I have?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Re: Bricked R7000.. no computers available with ethernet ports either :(

Did you try a factory reset?  It should wipe out the setting to overclock it.  You may have to perform a couple of resets.

Message 2 of 12
hbk_seanmichael
Aspirant

I hold down reset forever and nothing happens... the power light turns on but stays amber until it recycles... internet light doesnt come on...

No idea why holding in reset button wont even reset it
Message 3 of 12
TheEther
Guru

What firmware is installed?

Maybe you can try waiting a bit for the router to boot up, then perform the reset before it reboots itself.

If you have no luck, then you'll need to get ahold of a computer with an Ethernet port.  

Or you can get a serial cable and connect through the console.  You can interrupt the bootup process, then erase the nvram.

Message 4 of 12
hbk_seanmichael
Aspirant

The power light is a constant amber now..its no longer cycling...but still i hold in the reset buttom and nothing happens ughhh
Message 5 of 12
William10a
Master

There is a usb to lan port adaptor you connect the usb plug to your computer and the other jack is rj45 jack most limited 100mb but should be fast enough to connect to your router by a lan cable

@hbk_seanmichael wrote:

the power light just stay constant amber then reboots.  The problem is I dont have any computers right now with ethernet ports.  2 laptops, 2 tablets and a surface all are ethernet portless.  I have an xbox one with an ethernet port but that doesnt do me any again.  And i doubt I can put firmware on a usb and install factory firmware that way on the r7000?

What options do I have?

It may  be possible to debrick by reflashing the router with new firmware .

Have you tried the 30-30-30 reset

1 push the rest button for 30 seconds with power on to router

2 keep pushing the reset button and remove power power from the router for 30 seconds

3 keep pushing the reset button and repowered the router for 30 seconds

This will reset the factory settings

Message 6 of 12
hbk_seanmichael
Aspirant

Tried 30 30 30 a few times....nothing happens... usb front led lights dont light up when plugged in either
Message 7 of 12

It probably won't help, but is there any reason why you didn't reply to TheEther?

What firmware is installed?

If you have a spare Netgear transformer lying around, you could check that it isn't a power supply thing.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 12
hbk_seanmichael
Aspirant

Advancedtomato 3.4-138
Message 9 of 12
William10a
Master

@hbk_seanmichael wrote:

What options do I have?

If you can add a serial port to the router to reflash the firmware it allows access to the command lines to the cpu directly you can even see the boot process as it runs.

Message 10 of 12
TheEther
Guru

@hbk_seanmichael wrote:
The power light is a constant amber now..its no longer cycling...but still i hold in the reset buttom and nothing happens ughhh

Have you tried connecting to its Wi-Fi network?

Message 11 of 12
William10a
Master

You have a rock the router is a brick and you need to use the add a serial port way to try unbrick it if you feel like opening the router up and find the the serial port connection with terminal program to read the data in and out of the cpu . You will be able to see the files being loaded and stop the boot process to reflash the firmware. There are videos on how to add a serial port and reflash the firmware on yoytube have done a few routers for people works better then half the time.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E