Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bricked R8500 - absolute worst experience

annoyed_swiss
Aspirant

Bricked R8500 - absolute worst experience

So I bought this dec 2016 and now I finally wanted to unbox it and use it. After changign the SSID - the thing bricked. Now its stuck in a endless solid amber light reboot cycle.

Here is what I tried.

Factory reset - NG

30/30/30 reset - NG

static ip + ping + tftp - NG keeps tiiming out

1st call to support in hopes to rma this thing - spent 2.5 hours waiting only to be told i had to try the same things while they are on the phone (at this time with the wait this long I was not at home).

2nd call today - finally got through, was asked to switch power supplu to wall outlet (seriously???) then they hung up

on 3rd call waiting - worst support ever, POS product (i have netgear routers from 4-5 years ago that still work fine). At this point all I want is to RMA this brick so I can have a workign one.... Seriously you ask people to spend $300 on a product and then what?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
annoyed_swiss
Aspirant

Re: Bricked R8500 - absolute worst experience

Thank you. I received my replacement 2 days ago and so far so good. I was able to make changes and reboot w/o it locking up. Sent the old brick back.

So far so good  fingers crossed.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
annoyed_swiss
Aspirant

Quick update...

Support wanted me to try a different power supply to the router (any that would fit) - That's silly since the wrong voltage could fry the product and void the warranty. If that is what you want people to try then sell the product with 2 power supplies for this scenario.

Onto RMA - now their system lost the original proof of purchae when I created the ticket originally. Its funny because when you call their voice system asks you for the case number and finds it after you answer however when you finally connect to a person they have no clue what the ticket support number is. Seems like their support infrastucture is seriously broken. It may explain the long wait times etc... while people search fo rdifferent outlets to try. (what a joke).

Anyway I resent the PoP to their email - the saga (open wound) continues.

Message 2 of 16
William10a
Master

The level of tech support at the tier one level when you first reach Netgear's support work from a computer screen with the standard questions and the answers to respond with a few may know enough to helpful.

I would feel like the company has forgotten me already too I had a router with a problem and was getting the impression I was getting the run around from some of the questions and answers you received.

Did you get the extended coverage from the store that you get the router?

Message 3 of 16
annoyed_swiss
Aspirant

Yes I know and I called that out during the call. When they asked me to plug any other power supply that would fit I laughed and asked whether they would cover me voiding my 1 year.... you can image the reply...

Anyway I have 4 months left for a proper RMA - my only regret is not trying it out when I bought it.

Message 4 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

They're probably asking for you to try a different power adapter with the same specs. 

Anyhow, you can also do a hardware check through this link.

Looks like you received the replacement unit, feel free to let us know should you need any assistance. 

Message 5 of 16
annoyed_swiss
Aspirant

... I have not received anything yet... trying/waiting for them to process my proof of purchase (going on 3 days now) so I can get a RMA...

As for that link - yes I have tried that but my router only accepts pings for ~5-8 seconds before killing the port so that doesnt work for me....

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1262
ping: sendto: Host is down
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1263
ping: sendto: Host is down
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1264
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1260 ttl=100 time=5338.560 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1261 ttl=100 time=4337.521 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1266 ttl=100 time=1.274 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1267 ttl=100 time=1.303 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1268 ttl=100 time=1.635 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1270
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1271

This router is SOL and apparently so am I until one dept processes one email and notifies another dept etc....

Message 6 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the clarification. Based on the case notes I have read it said that you received the replacement. 

Anyhow, let me make a follow up with the support team. By the way, did you send your PoP already?

If you have not, kindly PM it to me. Take a picture of it and kindly include the date and place of purchase. 

Message 7 of 16
annoyed_swiss
Aspirant

Hello,

Yes I did send it 3 days ago and also 1 hour ago as a followup.

Message 8 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

To where did you send it? Is it through our customer care team?

Message 9 of 16
annoyed_swiss
Aspirant

customer.service.@netgear.com

Message 10 of 16
annoyed_swiss
Aspirant

i mean customer.service@netgear.com

Message 11 of 16
Alabama62
Guide

Their customer no-service is awful. Did you update the firmware when you installed the router. If so, you bricked it as the firmware update is the culprit in almost everyone's problem with this router. I had to bring mine back to life using a user's instructions in another thread about bricked R8500 routers. Requires opening the router which of course voids your warranty. Mine was already over a year old, so I didn't really care, it was a brick so ... long story short it worked and I am still using the original firmware and have not and will not update it unless someone at this worthless company assures me they will replace my router if their update bricks it again.

Message 12 of 16
annoyed_swiss
Aspirant

Hey there,

I cannot agree more. I did see that post but at this point i have 4 months left and they really ought to exchange this POS.... At least I have a digital trail.

Message 13 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Let us know any update once you have received the replacement unit.

Thank you and have a great day!
Message 14 of 16
annoyed_swiss
Aspirant

Thank you. I received my replacement 2 days ago and so far so good. I was able to make changes and reboot w/o it locking up. Sent the old brick back.

So far so good  fingers crossed.

Message 15 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Feel free to let me know should you experience the same problem.

Thank you!

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7