Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bridge mode causes wireless to stop working r7000p to d6300

stevedarwin
Aspirant

Bridge mode causes wireless to stop working r7000p to d6300

Want to use D6300 in bridged mode connected to R7000P and retain wireless connections through R7000P.

When the D6300 is powered up (has been placed in bridge mode) it stops the R7000P from connecting wirelessly to devices.

R7000P is on v1.3.1.44_10.1.23.

Can't remember what ver the D6300 is on, but it's the latest available version.

Can I do this or is the R7000P incapable of connecting to a bridge and retaining the wireless connections?

R7000P has not been put into bridge mode.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

Thanks @Shumaku. Was thinking of the R series as I replied without coffee. Thank you for pointing this out. Changes everything. There is no way I would recommend trying to connect wirelessly in bridge mode. Would be a futile effort, as well as unreliable.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9

All Replies

Greetings,
It should be possible to use the D6300 as a modem in bridge mode in front of your R7000P. You will want to disable wireless on the D6300 and have it acting only as a "pass-through" device.

The R700P should be operating in router mode. It will perform NAT, DHCP and provide wireless connectivity.

Message 2 of 9

Posting from my mobile, duplicate

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@shadowsports wrote:
It should be possible to use the D6300 as a modem in bridge mode in front of your R7000P. 

Not really 8-) - it's about establishing a wireless bridge as documented in How to set up Bridge mode on R6300, R6250 & R6200? ...assumng the D6300 does support the same. 

There is however another Unresolved post from earlier this year https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/D6300-Wireless-Bridge-Refuses-To-Work/m-p/...

Message 4 of 9

Thanks @Shumaku. Was thinking of the R series as I replied without coffee. Thank you for pointing this out. Changes everything. There is no way I would recommend trying to connect wirelessly in bridge mode. Would be a futile effort, as well as unreliable.
Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Just wanted to avoid the confusion of operating a DSL router as a bridge (pure modem) vs. configuring a router wireless into bridge mode.

Message 6 of 9
stevedarwin
Aspirant

Thanks for all the replies.

Will have to consider whether to keep trying or give it away.

Will provide feedback if I continue and have any success.

Thanks again

Message 7 of 9

@stevedarwin,

Greetings.  Not sure how much of a "solution" I provided here.  Depending on wireless as the sole means for a bridge connection isn't robust or sustainable as you have discovered.  Bridging over ethernet is preferred and what I would recommend.  DSL is becoming less common  but does suit some people's application or needs.

Message 8 of 9
stevedarwin
Aspirant

Just an update for those who have helped so far.

Have connected D6300 in bridge mode via ethernet cable and all appears to working fine.

Not what I wanted, but it works.

Will maybe still have a go at the wireless setup, but don't hold your breath waiting for an update

Thanks again

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7