Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bridge mode only allowing traffic in one direction.

gasmanp
Aspirant

Bridge mode only allowing traffic in one direction.

I have an R7000 as an AP connected to an R6250 router. R7000 is used for dedicated ac network for two laptops and then to upstairs with a wireless bridge upstairs to server and NAS drives. Previously my bridge was a wac120 which died so I have tried to change it to another R7000.

I have this in bridge mode. If I connect to ethernet port of the bridge I can see the internet and all devices connected to the network. However when connected to the AP/anywhere outside the bridge wired ethernet I cannot see into the bridge at all - cannot get to management, it does not appear on attached devices list and I cannot access the resources on its ethernet side. This is no use as my backup devices and servers are on the ethernet side of the bridge (I cannot get hard wires to this location).

I have tried factory resetting the bridge R7000 and doing it again and the problem is the same - traffic can go from ethernet to wireless, but not the other way around. This only started when I changed to the R7000 for the bridge

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
gasmanp
Aspirant

Re: Bridge mode only allowing traffic in one direction.

Working with Netgear support this has been determined as being related to the latest patch somehow.

Leaving the bridge at 1.0.9.26 but downgrading the AP from 1.0.9.26 to 1.0.9.18 made it immediately work.

Netgear now looking at why

View solution in original post

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The R7000 running in bridge mode only has internet access on it's LAN ports. It's doesn't have Wireless connection for addtional wireless cllients. It's only between the bridge and the main AP it's connected too. 

To connect to the bidges web page, you can look at the main host routers connected client table list to see the IP address of the bridge listed there. It will have an IP address given by the main host router. Use that IP address to connect to the bridges web page. 

Message 2 of 8
gasmanp
Aspirant

That is not the problem described. Device connected to the AP (e.g. my laptop) via wireless or ethernet should then be able to the connect to the bridges management page and any device on the network including those wired to the bridge - otherwise it is not a true bridge.

My previous netgear WAC device did this fine until it blew.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the Bridge get an IP address from the router? IT should appear on the main host router or AP connected clients list. There will be an IP address. If you see this, then use this to connect to the bridge. 

You can also use a mobile network scanning app like FING to scan your network and it will get name and IP addressses if your current online devices. My wireless bridge shows up, however I set a Static IP address on it so I know where to connect to it all the time. 

Message 4 of 8
gasmanp
Aspirant

It does NOT appear in the connected devices list of the base AP or router.

The IP address for management of the bridge is available if I plug my laptop into ethernet side of it but not if I am wireless to base AP.

The really odd thing is that the IP address for the bridge management is assigned from DHCP using MAC address assignment set on the base AP - so there is definitely a connection to the bridge and DHCP etc works fine - the bridge is just not accepting anything coming in from wireless - out only (appears to be behaving more like a router setup for internet traffic only)

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do a scan of your network while conected to the AP wirelessly and see if it picks up or detects an IP address of the bridge. All devices have an IP address to route traffice thru. Possible that when in bridge mode, it's masked maybe unless it was intentional...

Possible this could be an issue. You will need to contact NG support and ask about this...

Message 6 of 8
gasmanp
Aspirant

Working with Netgear support this has been determined as being related to the latest patch somehow.

Leaving the bridge at 1.0.9.26 but downgrading the AP from 1.0.9.26 to 1.0.9.18 made it immediately work.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Hope they fix it soon.

@gasmanpwrote:

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7