Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bridged network

Photosphere
Tutor

Bridged network

I am using windows on a mac computer.  I would like to use the windows brdiged network adapter setting.  However, when I do that I lose wifi connectivity on the mac side. From whtat I have been able to determine, I need the router to be set up for passive client.  The router manual talks about setting up the router in bridged mode using a second router. As I uderstand it, this is the same as passive client.  However, this doesn't seem to apply to my situation.  

I am novice when it comes to router configuation.  I have no idea how to make whatever changes are necessary to make the bridged mode work on this router for my application.

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Photosphere
Tutor

I have found the solution to my problem.  It wasn't an issue with the router.

For those who may be seeking a solution to this problem, here it is:

-Open the Windows confguration window

-Click on Network

-Click on advanced settings

-Change DHCP from "use Host MAC address" to "use generated MAC address"

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Photosphere
Tutor

The bridged network setting has worked in the past without causing a problem on the mac side.  Some settings have apparently been changed but I have no idea what those setting might be.  Here is the description of the way that the bridged network is supposed to work:

Bridged Network

When this network mode is used, your virtual machine uses a virtualized network interface card with direct access to Internet. As a result:

• A virtual machine appears as a separate computer that belongs to the same subnet as the Mac it is running on.
  • A DHCP server (e.g., your router) provides a virtual machine with an IP address within the same IP range as other computers in the same subnet.
  • A virtual machine can ping and see all computers in the subnet. 
  • Other computers can ping and see the virtual machine.
Message 2 of 3
Photosphere
Tutor

I have found the solution to my problem.  It wasn't an issue with the router.

For those who may be seeking a solution to this problem, here it is:

-Open the Windows confguration window

-Click on Network

-Click on advanced settings

-Change DHCP from "use Host MAC address" to "use generated MAC address"

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements