Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bridging vs. access point

aadolfson
Aspirant

Bridging vs. access point

Hello all,

I have a new Nighthawk ac1750 router (6700 I believe).  I would like to add it to my existing wireless network (a tp-link router).  I can either connect it to the existing router wirelessly or with cat6 (obviously wirelessly would be easier).  I am hoping that the Nighthawk will be able to connect to devices wirelessly and hard wired.  Looking through the literatureit looks like bridging is not an option, but I am not sure if using it as an access point will allow me to have both wired and wireless clients working through it. 

Is there another configuration or trick that will let me do what I want to do? 

Will either of these options negitively impact the transfer of data between the main router and the Nighthawk?

Thanks!

Andy

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: Bridging vs. access point

If the 1750 supports AP mode, then connect it with CAT6 to the TPLINK.

Stay away from bridging. You lose bandwidh, and over all, for most, it's lousy experience. You can also use the LAN ports on the 1750 in AP mode. All ports on the 1750 are 1000mb. Hopefully the same on the TPLINK you are using..

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
netwrks
Master

If the 1750 supports AP mode, then connect it with CAT6 to the TPLINK.

Stay away from bridging. You lose bandwidh, and over all, for most, it's lousy experience. You can also use the LAN ports on the 1750 in AP mode. All ports on the 1750 are 1000mb. Hopefully the same on the TPLINK you are using..

Message 2 of 3
aadolfson
Aspirant

Excellent, thank you for your input!  I will try to place it into service this weekend.

Andy

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7