Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[Bug Report] R7000P Readyshare disconnects drive every few days

dav0dav0
Guide

[Bug Report] R7000P Readyshare disconnects drive every few days

Running V1.3.2.134_10.1.66 firmware, connecting a 2 TB WD HDD with USB 3 to front connector of router.

Drive has about 1.25 M files on it, in a single file system that's an MBR partition.

At power up, drive is recognized and goes into several minutes of activity (I'm guessing it's either a file system check or a directory-structure read into the router's cache).

Readyshare works fine...until, after a few days, the drive is disconnected (powered up contintuously, but spun down most of the time) and when power-cycled, Readyshare doesn't remember the share name (it just comes up labeled as the t:/ partition).
I have a 7-year-old NetGear that doesn't do any of this nonsense with the same hardware.

Anybody else seeing this?

Ideas on how to rectify?

Seems like a firmware bug to me...

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
dav0dav0
Guide

Re: [Bug Report] R7000P Readyshare disconnects drive every few days

After many weeks of experimenting with different drives, controllers, and file system contents, discovered one of the culprits: the DLNA option. This is on by default, and can be turned off by going to Advanced>USB Functions>ReadyShare Storage and going to the Media Server tab.

Evidently the DLNA service creates a nice little SQLite database of all eligible media files, and in one of my drives I have about 100,000 image files, 500 movies, and 20,000 audio files.  This media mix caused that database to grow to more than 45 MB, which is evidently large enough to send the router into a tailspin within a couple of days.  During that tailspin, it first won't let you log in to the administrative console, then it refuses new wifi connections, and finally it stops serving network traffic altogether.

When I turned DLNA off, the router still misbehaves, but in a less catastrophic way and only needs to be rebooted every 10 days or so.
Details: drive has two partitions, both NTFS.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
dav0dav0
Guide

Re: [Bug Report] R7000P Readyshare disconnects drive every few days

After many weeks of experimenting with different drives, controllers, and file system contents, discovered one of the culprits: the DLNA option. This is on by default, and can be turned off by going to Advanced>USB Functions>ReadyShare Storage and going to the Media Server tab.

Evidently the DLNA service creates a nice little SQLite database of all eligible media files, and in one of my drives I have about 100,000 image files, 500 movies, and 20,000 audio files.  This media mix caused that database to grow to more than 45 MB, which is evidently large enough to send the router into a tailspin within a couple of days.  During that tailspin, it first won't let you log in to the administrative console, then it refuses new wifi connections, and finally it stops serving network traffic altogether.

When I turned DLNA off, the router still misbehaves, but in a less catastrophic way and only needs to be rebooted every 10 days or so.
Details: drive has two partitions, both NTFS.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7