Re: Buy sep Modem & Router or a Combo one?

volvogirl
Tutor

Buy sep Modem & Router or a Combo one?

What are the advantages of buying a modem router combination like the Netgear C7800?  I have Comcast 1gb and currently a Arris SB6190 modem and a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 model R7000 bought in June 2015 so it's 5 years old.  But something happened and now I'm only getting 52mbps.  If I plug my desktop pc directly into the Modem I get 718mbps.  Apparently Comcast says my SB6190 is incompatible.  I just got it in Feb 2020 when I changed my internet plan to 1gb and it worked fine.  I was getting 718 which was enough but I guess it doesn't go up to the 1gb.  I am going to try updating my Nighthawk Router which I haven't done in years. 

My Nighthawk R7000 is on v1.0.9.12_1.2.23 

Message 1 of 16
microchip8
Master

Separate modem and router is almost always the better solution. If one fails, you can easily replace it. If the modem+router combo fails, your whole network goes down. Also, a separate router usually offers more options/tweaks and you can easily upgrade the firmware. A lot of modems+routers (gateways) depend on the ISP pushing the updates

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: v1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 20 TB
Message 2 of 16

@microchip8 wrote:

A lot of modems+routers (gateways) depend on the ISP pushing the updates

Make that most cable modem/routers.

The only cable devices that allow user updates are the newset and most expensive boxes from Netgear.

DSL stuff does not have that restriction.

Just another user with a set of boilerplate macros.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 16
labatt
Mentor

I agree with @microchip8 

With seperate modem, should decide you and to upgrade to a better router or one with features you want, you will have better luck finding a router, but will probably have a hard time finding a modem/router with specs you want. Modem/routers tend to not be as feature rich as seperate routers. I have a Netgear cm1150v modem that is a couple of years old. It has seen 4 different routers before I settled on the setup I have now. Only swapped router. Give you idea about ISP's pushing updates. My modem which is connected to Comcast has never had an update pushed. Another advantage when you have done a router upgrade you now have a backup router for that unseen problem. Has come in handy for me over the years when a router dies for some reason, Pop in the old one and away you go until you figure out what went wrong or what new router to buy. No panic buying that way. 

Message 4 of 16
volvogirl
Tutor

Great ideas!  Thanks.  I like to keep the old one for a backup!  Could do that with my modem too.  Hey I can't read the forum on my iPad mini in landscape mode, it cuts off the right side.  Ok if I turn it portrait.  Tell a Moderator?

Message 5 of 16

@volvogirl wrote:

Could do that with my modem too. 

If you already have a modem that does the trick, why not use that for the time being?

Just get a new router.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 16
volvogirl
Tutor

OK I see a NightHawk Router AC2300 at BestBuy on sale I thnk I'll get in case I crash my AC1900 trying to update it.  It's 5 years old.  Mine is a AC1900 so is this the next one?  But they both are model R7000?  Or anyone have another recommendation?  Mine was handling my 2 story 3,000 sqft house and several devices and printer.  There's just 2 of us.   

Message 7 of 16
microchip8
Master

Get the R7800. It's currently the "best" router NG has to offer in the AC class

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 20 TB
Message 8 of 16
volvogirl
Tutor

Hi, thanks,  You got a link to 7800?  I can't seem to see one at NG or BB.  Husband is on way to BB now.   

Message 9 of 16
microchip8
Master

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7800.aspx

I don't know if best buy sells those

Message 10 of 16
volvogirl
Tutor

UPDATE......OK I upgraded the firmware on my AC1900 router and it helped a lot.  Got 717mbps on my wired HP desktop again and 224 on my iPad.  I'll give it a couple days to check out everything.  Then I'll probably take back the AC2300 I bought and exchange it for the higher speed Arris Modem SB8200.  It's exactly the same price I paid for the AC2300!  Comcast keeps telling me I need to upgrade my Modem since I got the 1 GB service (which is why I bought the SB6190 in the first place when I changed my plan in Feb!).  

Thanks again everybody

Message 11 of 16

@volvogirl wrote:

Then I'll probably take back the AC2300 I bought and exchange it for the higher speed Arris Modem SB8200. 

The SB8200 is a modem. It is not a router.  It cannot do the same things as the "AC2300".  Then again, there is not such thing as an AC2300.  That is just a wifi speed label. Netgear makes several routers (but no modems) with that specification.

So that leaves me totally confused about what you are trying to achieve. Perhaps others here are more clued in.

The bottom line is that if, as the cognoscenti recommend, you have a separate modem and a separate router, you need separate modem and a separate router. Changing your modem isn't likely to do much to your internet speed. A modem is a modem is a modem. What it delivers is down to your Internet service provider. The important link in the chain is the router. Like others, I'm a fan of the R7800.

Message 12 of 16
labatt
Mentor

A modem is a modem is a modem. What it delivers is down to your Internet service provider. The important link in the chain is the router. Like others, I'm a fan of the R7800.

Modem is a modem is not entirely true. For gig speeds like the OP is using you need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. A DOCSIS 3.0 won't get the gig speed. 

Message 13 of 16
volvogirl
Tutor

Right I know all that.  Yes i know the modem & router are separate.  But Comcast keeps telling me by phone and email and on the device list that my Arris SB6190 is incompatible with my internet plan.  I have the 1 GB plan and they say my modem is only 819.  But the specs on other places say it does 1gb.

Message 14 of 16
labatt
Mentor

If they allow it to install, worst case is not getting your full 1 GB speed. 

If you have never done a modem install on Comcast it is simple. Connect modem to the cable power up with a PC/MAC connected to it. You will be greated by a web page that walks through the install. Normally really simple. 

Message 15 of 16
volvogirl
Tutor

Yes I've done many.  I always buy my own equip instead of renting.  I'm the tech support for my friends. But it's never smooth.  Last time couldn't get past the Welcome screen.  Had to bypass the router and plug my pc directly into the new Modem to activate.   

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E