Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000 IPv6 - Comcast - Wifi dropping - Dos logs

ajskelt
Follower

C7000 IPv6 - Comcast - Wifi dropping - Dos logs

C7000 - Comcast manages firmware. 

I have an issue where I thought an iphone on our network was getting hacked.  I would randomly see the phones IP address changed from a 192 type, to an albanian outside IP, however the Mac address and IPv6 would remain the same.  In my log I would have a bunch of DOS attack entries, and they would always have the source of the IP that was temporarily on the iphone.

It seems there is an issue where the router misinterprets the IPv6 address, and portions of that get converted from hex to decimal.  These portions of the phones IPv6 addresses would get converted into the source/taget IP adresses in the log.

Second post on this page, has a screenshot of the conversion and explanation.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/DoS-attack-Teardrop-or-derivative-Ping-of-Deat...

This is an old thread, I wanted to know if there has been any resolutions to this since this time?  Every post in there, said only solution they could find was to sell/throw away router and buy a different brand.  I've always used NetGear products (all 4-5 routers I've ever had).  This is the first time I've had an issue like this.  I'd love to stay a customer, but if there is no way to resolve this I will move to another brand.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
SendNoodles
Initiate

Re: C7000 IPv6 - Comcast - Wifi dropping - Dos logs

I see this same thing with devices on my network.  Thing is, I was seeing it before with a Motorolla cable modem/router which is why I bought the netgear.  I'm starting to think its a Comcast/Xfinity thing as I have Xfinity as well

Message 2 of 4
chenm2
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same problem with C7000 - Comcast - Wifi dropping randomly - DoS in the router logs.  The DoS was traced to one of the 4 iphones in the house.  It sometimes gets a strange IP address from qwest.com.  Have to block the problematic iphone for now.  The firmware on my C7000 is the latest version 1.01.33.  Hope Netgear can see these messages and provide a fix or work around.

Message 3 of 4
monrubin
Aspirant

Is it a problem with netgear not comcast? Ive.been on and off with comcast regarding my connection. 4th technician coming. How do you see the logs with dos ?
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7