Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000 V2 Router periodically drops connection to Canon MX922

LancashireLad
Aspirant

C7000 V2 Router periodically drops connection to Canon MX922

In the last few months, the router randomly loses the wireless connection to the Canon MX922.  I tried resetting the printer, reconnecting to the router from the printer, all to no avail.  The ONLY solution I could find that worked was to unplug the router, wait 30 seconds, and plug back in.  Then suddenly it saw the printer again!    

While this is a solution,  it's very inconvenient.   Anyone ideas how to fix permenantly?  OS is Windows 10 Pro.

Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
LancashireLad
Aspirant

Re: C7000 V2 Router periodically drops connection to Canon MX922

Thanks for a quick response.  Much appreciated.   I can give that a try.   Luckily, I understand enough about networking to do that.   However, most people wouldn't and have to pay someone to do it.   This is clearly a bug with the router since it never happened with the previous router I had.  Netgear,  what about fixing this??  Thanks!! 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Have you tried setting the printer up with a reserved ip address? 

https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 2 of 7
LancashireLad
Aspirant

Thanks for a quick response.  Much appreciated.   I can give that a try.   Luckily, I understand enough about networking to do that.   However, most people wouldn't and have to pay someone to do it.   This is clearly a bug with the router since it never happened with the previous router I had.  Netgear,  what about fixing this??  Thanks!! 

Message 3 of 7

@LancashireLad wrote:

This is clearly a bug with the router since it never happened with the previous router I had. 

Or a bug in the printer. My Canon printer has never caused any problems with my R7800.

Canon's networking utility is abysmal. The design looks like something that escaped from Windows 3.0.

You can also tell that to use a fixed IP address.

Canon IP AddressCanon IP Address

That's in the Canon utility.

Some people like a belt and braces approach. Fix IP address on printer and reserve it on the router.

The R7800 may exhibit this behaviour because your printer was previously associated with the old router.

Fortunately, this issue comes up here very rarely. Then again, HP printers do seem to cause more issues than most, perhaps because they are more common.

Message 4 of 7
LancashireLad
Aspirant

Thanks!

Message 5 of 7
antinode
Guru

> Some people like a belt and braces approach. Fix IP address on printer
> and reserve it on the router.

Some people like to to tie a belt and braces around their necks, and
then pull them tight.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1810738

Message 6 of 7
additude
Virtuoso

I currently have an HP 553 that likes to lose it's connection to the Century Link POS router... or the Century Link POS router likes to lose it's connection to the HP...

yada-yada... so I have a Vera-Plus home security server and I unix coded a "ping-check" into the Vera Plus where every hour the Vera pings the HP static IP address.....

That was a couple of years ago.... no problems since then...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7