Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000: Xfinity internet - only receiving 150 MBPS on a 600 MBPS line

yoga84
Aspirant

C7000: Xfinity internet - only receiving 150 MBPS on a 600 MBPS line

I upgraded my Xfinity internet speed from 200 MBPS to 600 MBPS as we were only getting about 35-40 MBPS on the 200 MBPS line. After the upgrade I am only getting about 150-200 MBPS at most (both on wifi and LAN). All of these speeds are over wifi. Though on wifi, I would assume to get atleast 400+. We do have smart devices but not all of them are connected/in use. Most times it is just my office laptop and my wife's office laptop and our 2 phones.

I looked for firmware updates and did not find any. I assumed the loss in speed was attributed to lot of people working from home. But the speeds I am getting seems way too low. I am not sure if Factory Reset would resolve it. I called Xfinity and they mentioned there wasnt any issues with the line. Any help with this is appreciated. TIA

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Re: C7000: Xfinity internet - only receiving 150 MBPS on a 600 MBPS line

A couple things. 

1. I doubt you'd see 400mbps over 5ghz on the c7000. From what I've seen is its usually around 250-350(ish)mbps max on the C7000. I say ish because thats under ideal conditions (no interference, optimum distance, optimum device testing with, nothing else running, etc) Its a great modem but its an all in one device so its cpu/ram/and power must be split with the modem as well. Its one of the reason we recommend modems seperate from routers.  

2. Wired is where you'll see max speeds. You said you're only getting 200mbps over a hardwired connection?

3. Do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and the logs? That lets us check the connection to the isp. 

4. check your lines, remove any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators from the line. Check for loose/old/bad/cheap connectors. Check for damaged, kinked, or extended runs with the coax. 

Message 2 of 13

@yoga84 wrote:

I looked for firmware updates and did not find any.

You won't.

What’s the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router? | Answer | NETGEAR Sup...

If your firmware is outdated, you cannot manually upgrade your cable modem’s or modem router’s firmware. You must contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to upgrade your firmware.

Message 3 of 13
yoga84
Aspirant

1. I doubt you'd see 400mbps over 5ghz on the c7000. From what I've seen is its usually around 250-350(ish)mbps max on the C7000. I say ish because thats under ideal conditions (no interference, optimum distance, optimum device testing with, nothing else running, etc) Its a great modem but its an all in one device so its cpu/ram/and power must be split with the modem as well. Its one of the reason we recommend modems seperate from routers.  

For some reason when we moved to this house we were on a 100MBPS line and we almost got 100MBPS. I bought the Linksys Velop Dual Band routers (3) to create a mesh network (sort of). But that did not help either. So I have retired those though the speeds were the same. Is there a way for make this cable modem to operate on modem-only while I use the Velop? Will that help improve the speed. Or is the solution to buy a newer Cable Modem with DOCSIS 3.1 or so? Or will separate modem and router solve the issue. Based on this thread (and few others that talk about the speed being true for the WAN), 200 seems like what I will get under this plan?

1. Wired is where you'll see max speeds. You said you're only getting 200mbps over a hardwired connection?

Yes, 200MBPS max while hardwired too. Wifi or LAN, it is always below 200mbps

1. Do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and the logs? That lets us check the connection to the isp. 

Attached screenshot with this post

1. check your lines, remove any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators from the line. Check for loose/old/bad/cheap connectors. Check for damaged, kinked, or extended runs with the coax. 

I have checked the lines from the outside of the house to my modem and don’t see any damage. Checked the connectors for being loose and damaged and that is not the case either. Should I ask Xfinity to come take a look? I am not sure if they will

Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

You can put the C7000 in modem only mode. Then you would just connect the velop to it. It should work well. The velop is a pretty solid mesh system.  You could try that first. 

You still might need xfinity to check the lines. you have errors in the lines and your logs also indicate line issues. But try the c7000 in modem mode first with the velop. and see how it works. 

Message 5 of 13
yoga84
Aspirant

Is everything in the log - errors? ASking so I let Xfinity know of it.

Also, I changed Netgear to Modem-only, connected Velop and getting about 140 mbps while connected to LAN on one of the child nodes (not connected to the parent velop node that is hard-wired to the modem)

NOTE: I also checked the speed check on the Velop mobile app and it shows 715 MBPS. but if I run a speedtest on my mobile device I still only see 157 mbps.

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

Its not all errors but there is a lot of them. 

Make sure to test the velop hardwired. Wireless can be variable and isn't a good indicator. 

Message 7 of 13
yoga84
Aspirant

While connected on LAN using Velop I am still getting only about 150 mbps. should i just ask Xfinity to come take a look at the line and the associated errors? Also, since the netgear is just a modem now, I am unable to 192.168.0.1 to get Netgear Admin to enable Router again (some of my smart devices are still connected to netgear). I tried connecting using a lan cable (from netgear while velog is not connected to power or modem) to my laptop but it says unidentified network and doesnt show me the admin page.

Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

go to 192.168.100.1 to access the modem side.

You can have them check the line. What I'd do is make sure the modem is right where the coax enters the home. This prevents the issue from being soemthing internal to the home. (which comcast charges to fix)

Message 9 of 13
yoga84
Aspirant

Xfinity technician came in, connected a meter of some sort and showed the speed to be about 700MBPS. He said the was coming into the cable modem and that there was an issue with the configuration on the cable modem. He suggested I play with the Channels. I am new to this. Should I switch to each channel till I get to one which provides good speed? I have attached a screenshot with my current config

Should I just get a new cable modem since the below is on sale?

https://www.costco.com/netgear-nighthawk-cm1100-docsis-3.1-cable-modem.product.100464287.html

Message 10 of 13
plemans
Guru

When the c7000 is in modem only mode, what speeds do you get directly off it? 

If the "channels" are enabled your not in modem only mode.

those would be for wireless speeds and wireless isn't a realible indicator

Message 11 of 13
yoga84
Aspirant

I was getting the same speeds with 'modem-only' (someone above had suggested that I do that). It was about 150-200 MBPS. 

Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

Then you're in a catch22. 

The isp is saying they delive full speeds. 

You're not getting full wired speeds. 

options it can be? 

1. the line

2. the modem

3. the device youre testing on. 

the isp has said its not the line. They could be right. It could be the modem. or it could be the device you're testing on. 

What you can try that I've done? I've rented a modem from the isp for a month before. If it gets full speeds, then its the modem. If it doesn't, its the line or device you're testing on. If its the line, then the isp can't say "its not our line" if even their device doesn't gett full speed. 

Once you figure out what the problem is, you can either get them to fix the line or if its the modem, you can replace it so you don't have to pay a rental fee. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7