Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000

Viper300
Aspirant

C7000

I am a complete novice, so bear with me. We have Xfinity GB service and we are thinking of purchasing the CM1150V for the cable modem but we then want to use our already purchased C7000 as the router portion. Will this work or do we need a new wireless router only that isnt a cable modem router? 

Make sense?

Message 1 of 9
antinode
Guru

Re: C7000

> [...] use our already purchased C7000 as the router portion. [...]

Because it lacks a WAN/Internet Ethernet port, I see no way to use a
C7000 as a normal router.  (It should be possible to configure a C7000
as a wireless access point, but that wouldn't give you a router.)

> [...] do we need a new wireless router only that isnt a cable modem
> router?

I believe so.

Message 2 of 9

@Viper300 wrote:

We have Xfinity GB service and we are thinking of purchasing the CM1150V for the cable modem but we then want to use our already purchased C7000 as the router portion.

Can't you use the C7000 as your modem on Xfinity? Is it too slow?

What does Xfinity says about its compatibility?

Message 3 of 9
Viper300
Aspirant

The C7000 will work as the cable modem and router but one I'd have to lowere service plan to 500mb which I'm ok doing, but then we lose voice. I'm looking into what penalities Id incur by cancelling the xfinity home and infinity voice and just haveing cable and internet at 500mb and maybe channel lineup. Then get Voip seperate. 

That way the C7000 will be fine. My son in law said he hooked it up at their house and it doubled the wifi speed. But problem is they didnt have voice, we do. Speeds acheived are only fast if the device has capability so I dont have new enough items to get super fast that 500mb wouldnt be fast enough

but to your question, the C7000 cannot be used as stand alone router with a different cable modem on top of it. I wanted to use it as router function only but......

Message 4 of 9

@Viper300 wrote:

The C7000 will work as the cable modem and router but one I'd have to lowere service plan to 500mb which I'm ok doing, but then we lose voice.

That explains things. Your first message didn't mention voice explicitly, although I should have guessed from the reference to the CM1150V.

I am not familiar with voice technology. I do know that 500 Mbps would be fast enough for voice and most other things.

I have no idea which Netgear boxes can do voice, beyond the CM1150V and the slightly older CM500V. (Those things often go under the "gateway" label with ither brands.) There are also modem/routers that do voice, the C7100V for example.

However, in general, experienced users like to have separate modems and routers. I was just thinking "money". After all the C7000 isn't that old.

Having two separate devices means that you have a bigger choice and more control over the kit. As you have found, you have not way of updating the firmware on the C7000. But if you put a router behind a cable modem, you get not only a bigger choice of features, you get something that you can update should new features turn up.

@Viper300 wrote:

but to your question, the C7000 cannot be used as stand alone router with a different cable modem on top of it. I wanted to use it as router function only but......

Not my question. I don't know a lot about cable modems. The technology is not widely used here in the UK. But I agree that it is hard to turn something into a router without a WAN port on the thing.

Message 5 of 9
Viper300
Aspirant

I think the C7100V maxes at 400mb and does voice and that would likely be better but thats another device bought. trying to increase wifi speed from xifinity modem and lag time for grandson games wihtout buying something. the C7000 they have doubled speed and lag went bye bye, but the voice is the hinge. Our cell phones sucks at home so we still hold the home phone for that reason. 

I may just do the C7000 and add VOIP behind the scenes off the xfinity umbrella

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Might looking into a cell phone microcell if you don't get good cell phone signal around your place. I have one. Works great since single at our place is bad. 

@Viper300 wrote:

I think the C7100V maxes at 400mb and does voice and that would likely be better but thats another device bought. trying to increase wifi speed from xifinity modem and lag time for grandson games wihtout buying something. the C7000 they have doubled speed and lag went bye bye, but the voice is the hinge. Our cell phones sucks at home so we still hold the home phone for that reason. 

I may just do the C7000 and add VOIP behind the scenes off the xfinity umbrella

Message 7 of 9
Viper300
Aspirant

We tried the cell booster thing in high window but no real change. That was years ago, maybe I will research again
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Most Microcell should be in the main floor placed in a window is all. 

My ATT microcell connects to the router and allows data and voice flow thru this method. Been working for years.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7