Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000v2 AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router Slowing Network Speed

xwjjjw
Aspirant

C7000v2 AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router Slowing Network Speed

I have been using the router as the title mentions which I bought from Amazon since I moved in my new house in March, 2020. Between March and September, I was using a 100Mbps xfinity plan but the wired connection speed was round only 30 Mbps. In mid-September, I switched to the current xfinity plan which should be up to 300 Mbps. But the speed test shows that the wired connection download speed is still around only 30Mbps and wireless speed is also around 30Mbps. I have requested xfinity for onsite investigation twice but the technicians checked everything prior to the router coaxial cable connector and they looked good. The signal from the coaxial cable output could be go up to 1Gbps. But once we connected the coaxial cable to the router and tested the speed, it could deliver only 30Mbps. We have tried everything, including resetting the router and rebooting it but nothing worked.

I borrowed a tp-link wifi cable modem router from my firend and it delivered 300Mbps both with wired and wireless connection. I have talked to the Netgear support a few times and nothing helps. One interesting thing is that, when connecting to the tp-link router, the router had 16 downstream channels and they were all locked. But with the Netgear one, 8 out of 24 channels are not locked. (Please see the snapshot for cable connection page) One of the Netgear agents asked me to ask xfinity to lock them so that I would get normal speed. But several xfinity people I contacted said that they were not able to lock the channels.

As I have a tp-link router for comparison, I believe this should be the Netgear router issue. Could anyone help me fix this? Or is it possible to return or replace this from Netgear? My warranty is active until January, 2021.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: C7000v2 AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router Slowing Network Speed

Do you also have a screen snip of the modems logs? The cable connection pages shows us a snip in time of the connection but the logs show an extended period. 

In terms of locked channels, its actual the provisioning and the connection back to the cmts that determines them. Neither company can just "lock" them. 

do you have any splitters, amplifiers, or attenuators in line? If you do, remove them. 

Check the connection and line for loose, bent, corroded, cheap/bad connections. If you have those, replace them. 

I recommend moving the modem to right where the coax enters the home. This ensures wiring within the walls doesn't create the issues. 

If that still doesn't help, to go though support you'd need to click on "mynetgear" at the top. register an account and the device. From there you can contact support/start an rma. 

This is the community support forum, where its members of the public helping out.  

Message 2 of 4
xwjjjw
Aspirant

Hi,

Please find the event logs in the attachment.

I don't think I have any splitters, amplifiers, or attenuators in line. The xfinity agents confirmed that the signal out of the wall and the signal right entering my house are the same. And all the other devices like cables are stable. If I switch to use a tp-link router, I can get 300Mbps. So I think this should be Netgear router issue.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

You logs indicate that its failing to aquire a signal from xfinity and issues with the signal. 

It could be the line, cmts, or it could be the modem. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7