Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX30 Slow Wifi

Washautumnstar
Aspirant

CAX30 Slow Wifi

I am at my wits end and hoping someone has some answers.

I have been having issues with slow internet speeds. When my package was for 400mbps, I was getting 250, I thought it wasn't too bad. Recently upgraded and now am supposed to be getting 800, I'm still at max of 250.

So I had my ISP (Comcast) come out and do an inspection, they fixed some spots but also said I needed new hardware. So I upgraded to the nighthawk CAX30 which should get wifi speeds up to 2700, Ethernet is great 930 (out of 800) so it's not Comcast's fault, but wifi i am stiiiilll only at 250mpbs .

I was on the phone for 4 hours with Netgear support, changing channels, and mtu, and factory reset, still nothing fixed. And when they ran out of ideas they kept trying to say I needed to wait, first 2-3 hours (after already being on for 4) then tried to say 24 hours, they refuse to admit there is something wrong with the device, or transfer me to someone who has any other ideas. So I am turning to the forums..

Some things I've gone through:

Switching channels for both 2.4 and 5G
Lowering the MTU
Turning off Smart connect
Factory Reset
Double checked firmware is the latest
Buying a new Wifi card (not sure I understand these but link signal on old said 433/433, so thought it was capping? New adapter is 1300/1300)
Made sure drivers were up to date

TLDR: brand new modem/router. Ethernet fine, wifi speeds not getting above 250mbps, should be 800 please help.
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CAX30 Slow Wifi

What brand and model wifi device are you using to speed test with? Some AC mode devices have limitations on what they can actually speed test up too. Most max out at around 400-500Mpbs on 5Ghz AC. Even at 1300Mpbs though you should see near 600-700Mpbs.  

What band does the device connecte too? 2.4 or 5Ghz?

What speed test app are you using to speed test with? Ooklas installable speed test app works well. 

https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Message 2 of 13
Washautumnstar
Aspirant

I have tested with multiple devices on multiple speed test sites: desktop/2 laptops/android smartphone. Ookla, Xfinity, and Netgear speed sites. All of these were on my 5G network

I also thought that the cards I had should have at least gotten to 400. So I got the new adapter, which is an Edimax EW-7833UAC AC1750 which as mentioned, says it should be able to get speeds up to 1300. But I'm still stuck around 250
Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

@Washautumnstar wrote:
I have tested with multiple devices on multiple speed test sites: desktop/2 laptops/android smartphone. Ookla, Xfinity, and Netgear speed sites. All of these were on my 5G network< is this the 5G wireless on the CAX or cell service? 

I also thought that the cards I had should have at least gotten to 400. So I got the new adapter, which is an Edimax EW-7833UAC AC1750 which as mentioned, says it should be able to get speeds up to 1300. Wifi bandwidth will never see 1300Mbps bandwidth download speeds on 5Ghz AC with your adapter. 
Its rating is:

Data Rate
11a: 6/ 9/ 12/ 24/ 36/ 48/ 54Mbps
11b: 1/ 2/ 5.5/ 11Mbps
11g: 6/ 9/ 12/ 24/ 36/ 48/ 54Mbps
11n (20MHz): MCS0-15 (up to 223Mbps)
11n (40MHz): MCS0-15 (up to 450Mbps)
11ac (80MHz): MCS0-9 (up to 1300Mbps)

FYI, These are DATA Connection RATES only. Meaning that its the connection rate seen between the this adapter and host wifi router. This is NOT actual bandwidth download speeds. This differs from Data Rate. https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

I would agree though that if the adapter is connected at 1300Mpbs, it should be seeing around 500Mpbs on 5Ghz with the CAX. 

Is Smart Connect enabled on the CAX? 

What FW is loaded on the CAX? 

And be sure the USB adapter is connected to a USB 3.0 port on the PC? 

Message 4 of 13
Washautumnstar
Aspirant

1. 5Ghz Wireless from the Cax
2. Is it just that AC isn't compatible with those high speeds? I'm still not really understanding, link rate is gonna be higher than bandwidth? Why do numbers not equal reality? If my card max is 1300 and my service max is 800, why would my real bandwidth only be 500? Does wifi just have that much degradation?
3. Smart connection is not on. enable AX is on, not sure if it matters.
4. Firmware version 1.4.10.8
Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Data rate will always be higher than actual data flow thru the connection. Again this is just the connection rate between the adapter and the CAX. Not actual data speed flow. Nature of the wifi beast. Data flow is always lower than the rate on wireless. Even on a wired 1000Mpbs connected ethernet adapter you not see 1000Mpbs however will be near 900Mpbs since wired out performs wireless. 

Is WMM enabled on the CAX30 as well and any Beamforming and MIMO features? 

Ensure the adapter is connected to a USB 3.0 port on the PC. 

Try a different PC to compare. 

Message 6 of 13
Washautumnstar
Aspirant

Not sure what WMM is or where to look.
Beamforming is on, also grayed out so don't know how to turn it off if needed.
Mu-mimo is also on.

I tried that when I got it and didn't see a difference, but can try again once I get home in a few hours.
Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Check for Enable WMM Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings...

Message 8 of 13
Washautumnstar
Aspirant

Does not look like I have that. After quick Google search, doesn't seem like I have any control over qos settings
Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, maybe enabled and not in the UI anymore. It should be enabled most of the time. 

Message 10 of 13
Washautumnstar
Aspirant

Attached is photo of speed test with the new adapter in a usb 3.0 port

It's a little slower than the 250, but pretty normal for the time of day.

Tried to just put the photo here, but it wasn't showing up

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

There a previous router or can you test this adapter at a different location, say friend, family that has a good wifi router? 

What does a phone or pad get connected to the CAX if you have one? 

Message 12 of 13
Washautumnstar
Aspirant

I don't think so, pretty sure everyone else much slower internet speeds, and my old router was having the same problems.

Weirdly, if i use Ookla on my phone im still capping at 250, but when I tried the nighthawk app I got 512?? What is going on...

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7