Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1100 + TP-Link AC4000 Connectivity issues

Syntax_error
Initiate

CM1100 + TP-Link AC4000 Connectivity issues

So for some reason my CM1100 when activates works fine with the LAN1 port yet when ANY brand WiFi router is connected to that same port the CM either transmits zero internet (according to the routers tested: TP-Link Tri band AC4000 and Cisco E4500).

Half the time when I plug the cat5e (also tested with a cat7 cable) the CM begins to powercyle and eventually just shows all lights off besides an orange LAN1 port.

I can’t get ANY internet through WiFi to work, only hard lined into the CM.

Is this thing defective or am I just dumb?

Please send reinforcements 😂
Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Syntax_error
Initiate

Re: CM1100 + TP-Link AC4000 Connectivity issues

Turns out a couple things:

1. You’re correct, plugging anything into the second port screws the whole thing up which requires a reset to factory settings.

2. If you plug the WiFi router in while the modem is online, it doesn’t know what to do with itself and craps the bed.

Solution:

1. Reset everything to factory defaults
2. Setup the Cable Modem
3. Verify with a computer that you have an internet connection
4. Power the cable modem off
5. Transfer the cable from your computer to the back of the WiFi router and wait for the router to be ready
6. Power on the cable modem
7. Wait 2-3 minutes
8. Eat tacos and margaritas to relieve frustration

🙂

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The cm1100 has port aggregation feature. If your router doesn't support wan port aggregation (which the tp-link ac4000 doesn't), the second port is basically useless. It can't be used unless your ISP supplies you with separate IP addresses (most don't) or your router supports wan port aggregation.  

Your router does support lan aggregation but not wan from what I can tell. 

If you plug into the 2nd port on the cm1100 while the first is in use, it only causes ip conflicts and issues. Don't use it unless your ISP supplies separate IP address or you get a router that supports wan port aggregation. 

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

Message 3 of 4
Syntax_error
Initiate

Turns out a couple things:

1. You’re correct, plugging anything into the second port screws the whole thing up which requires a reset to factory settings.

2. If you plug the WiFi router in while the modem is online, it doesn’t know what to do with itself and craps the bed.

Solution:

1. Reset everything to factory defaults
2. Setup the Cable Modem
3. Verify with a computer that you have an internet connection
4. Power the cable modem off
5. Transfer the cable from your computer to the back of the WiFi router and wait for the router to be ready
6. Power on the cable modem
7. Wait 2-3 minutes
8. Eat tacos and margaritas to relieve frustration

🙂
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7