Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1150V voice cable modem and Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi router

Jack1969
Tutor

CM1150V voice cable modem and Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi router

I have the modem and router listed above connected to a Comcast 200 plan.  The router is hard wired to my HP pc via an ethernet cable.

A few weeks ago my Internet connection started dropping and re-connecting every couple of minutes on my pc.  I have shut down and re-started all of the components several times.  Nothing changed.  I contacted Comcast and they claim their signal is strong, with no issues. As you might expect, their solution is to get rid of my modem and rent theirs.  Mine is a fairly new compatible modem.  It has the latest software V2.02.04

Assuming their assessment is accurate, how can I determine whether the problem is being caused by my modem, router, or possibly my pc processor?

Jack Hudson

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
Jack1969
Tutor

Re: CM1150V voice cable modem and Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi router

Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that before.  Hooked up my laptop via RJ45.   Haven't had an error message in 3 hours!

New PC on it's way.

Thank you for all of your help.  Great job!

Jack

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 18

All Replies
plemans
Guru

that is a good questions. Usually you need to start at square 1 and rule that out. Square 1 is the modem. so do this with a hardwired pc: 

1. Remove the router. Directly connect your pc to the modem and use it. make sure you use it long enough to verify if it drops or not. 

Also log into it and take a screen snip of your modem connections page. Comcast might tell you the signals fine but that's usually their go-to response to get people on their equipment or keeping from having to send a tech out. 

2. If the modem checks out and is stable for an extender period. Then we move to the router. 

What firmware is on the router?

If its version 1.0.2.8, I'd start with a factory reset. In that version, netgear updated the router to include netgear armor and they also removed some features. It was a significant change. Enough that the routers have responded well to a factory reset and re-doing your setup manually (not using a backup).  If it doesn't work, try downgrading prior to netgear armor. It hasn't been the smoothest rollout. Also reset the device afterwards if you downgrade. 

Try the modem first and then move on to the router. If the modems stable and the firmware resets, downgrade doesn't fix it, let me know and we'll move on from there. 

Message 2 of 18
labatt
Mentor

I am also on Comcast using a CM1150V modem. Have same firmware version, v2.02.04, as you have. Has been rock solid, so if the signal levels are good then it should just work. Best to start as suggested by @plemans as there could be signal issues on the Comcast line. You can see this on the modem. If you have never looked, log into the modem. First page will have cable connection icon. Hit that and you will be taken to the signal level and errors page. Keep in mind we are dealing with a serial connection and it is normal to see a few. As an example, on my modem things are clean except for some errors on channel 29 and 30. Never caused any issues. 

Message 3 of 18
Jack1969
Tutor

Thank you plemans. Directly connecting the modem to my pc was the first thing I tried when I encountered this issue, but I get the message "unidentified network".  I don't know what to do to get by that.   Jack

Message 4 of 18
labatt
Mentor

Sounds like you are using a Windows PC. That is the PC saying it has never seen this network. Usually there is a private or public selection. Selecting either should work for test. I would tend to select private. 

Message 5 of 18
plemans
Guru

Agree with @labatt 

did you get a chance to try getting screen snips of your modem connections or check stability directly connected?

Message 6 of 18
Jack1969
Tutor

I was eventually able to get my modem hardwired to my PC.  Unfortunately the dropping continued.   So, the evidence leads to the modem, but that seems unusual for decent modem that is only 11 months old.  Assuming Comcast is providing good information about my signal, could the problem be with my PC?  I've been thinking of replacing it, but I run the risk of gaining nothing if the problem is actualy the modem or Comcast

Message 7 of 18
plemans
Guru

Well I hate to sound like a broken recordd but we'd need to see your modem connections page and logs to even give you a hint. 

But it wouldn't be the first comcast tech to ping a modem and say everythings fine when it isn't. 

So, modem connections page screen snip?

Message 8 of 18
Jack1969
Tutor

I couldn't find a way to insert the screens here.  Added the prints in an email response.

First time using this process.

Message 9 of 18
plemans
Guru

Click the choose file option when relying so everyone can see it
Message 10 of 18
Jack1969
Tutor

Sorry plemans.  I have not been able to do this.  I looked at the help lesson for insertig files, and the toolbar has 

an Icon to insert files that my toolbar does not have. Maybe that's because of my new status in this community.

I think I have taken enough of your time.

Jack

Message 11 of 18
plemans
Guru

not sure which browser you're using but when you click reply, there's a "choose file" option underneath the text box that you type in. It should work even if you're new to the community. 

You're fine in terms of time. Sometimes it takes a little longer but I'd rather help you at least get a handle on whats going on. 

Message 12 of 18
Jack1969
Tutor

Swithed to Firefox and trying it again using the "Browse" box below this section. Takes one file at a time.

Message 13 of 18
Jack1969
Tutor

Second PDF

Message 14 of 18
plemans
Guru

Try getting your upstream info as well. I just see the downstream and the logs. 

by chance do you have a 2nd pc/laptop you could test with just to ensure it isn't the pc?

Your downstream powers are slighly high but it should still work. Thats why I'm curious about your upstream power levels as well as possibly testing with a 2nd device.  

Message 15 of 18
labatt
Mentor

Upstream info is just below the downstream on the same screen. 

Message 16 of 18
Jack1969
Tutor

Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that before.  Hooked up my laptop via RJ45.   Haven't had an error message in 3 hours!

New PC on it's way.

Thank you for all of your help.  Great job!

Jack

Message 17 of 18
plemans
Guru

might not have needed a new pc......a new ethernet pci port (if it was a desktop), uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, or even just a usb-ethernet adapter might have worked 🙂 

but glad to hear you figured out the pc was the issue. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7