Re: Calling the Netgear gurus! Looking for feedback on best solution to extend wifi to a X10 R9000

joeolsen
Aspirant

Calling the Netgear gurus! Looking for feedback on best solution to extend wifi to a X10 R9000

Hi everyone! I hope I am in the right place Smiley Happy

I have a nighhawk r9000 router in my house - located centeral-east on first floor. I have an office I built out in my garage located far west of the house - same floor. Wifi signal is super weak (60-70 dBm, noise -75-95 dBm – see image attached). So, though I have Cox's gigablast, I am getting about 20MB - 30MB down in the office.

So I either need to extend the wireless network to get a better signal or buy a range extender and connect via ethernet to the router and run as an access point in the office. Need some help deciding what would be best.

Neging that the office is in the garage, it is seperated by a decently thick wall to the house - which on the other side is a wall of cabinets and appliances for the kitchen. There are 5 walls between the router and my office.

In the office, I have a laptop, roku and printer that would be connected as well as my cell phone.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Calling the Netgear gurus! Looking for feedback on best solution to extend wifi to a X10 R9000

Not sure what you implied there but if you can run an ethernet cable, you can run a range extender or a router in AP mode. 

That'd be the ideal solution

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 3
alceryes
Tutor

Assuming the whole house is on one breaker box.

Pick up a cheap powerline ethernet adapter to give great internet to one device in the garage via ethernet. Add a WiFi extender to the powerline purchase to bring great WiFi to the garage area.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E