× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I Enable Plex Media Server on RAX50 — Nighthawk AX6

superspartan300
Initiate

Can I Enable Plex Media Server on RAX50 — Nighthawk AX6

I had a Nighthawk R7000 in the past which had Plex Media Server built in. I am surprised that a newer model years later does not have that feature. Is there a way to enable it on the RAX50 — Nighthawk AX6?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Can I Enable Plex Media Server on RAX50 — Nighthawk AX6

The R7000 didn't have plex built in. the only router netgear made with plex built in was the R9000.

None of the RAX devices have plex built in. 

I'd recommend building your own plex server or even pickup a basic nas with those capabilities if you use plex a lot. 

Once I switched to a dedicated server with more transcoding ability, plex ran smoother/better. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The RAX50 doesn't support that i don't believe...

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

The R7000 didn't have plex built in. the only router netgear made with plex built in was the R9000.

None of the RAX devices have plex built in. 

I'd recommend building your own plex server or even pickup a basic nas with those capabilities if you use plex a lot. 

Once I switched to a dedicated server with more transcoding ability, plex ran smoother/better. 

Message 3 of 5
superspartan300
Initiate

Right, my bad, it was the R9000 that I had which had Plex built in.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

You can always keep the R9000 connected and running in AP mode just to use its plex capability. Just make sure if you leave its wireless enabled that you put it on different wireless channels to prevent interference. I've done something similar before just to put a bunch of IoT devices on or take a load of my primary setup. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7