Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I access my NAS by connecting my R7000 router to Synology NAS via their respective USB 3.0 ports

David_M
Tutor

Can I access my NAS by connecting my R7000 router to Synology NAS via their respective USB 3.0 ports

My current router has only 4 ethernet ports and they are almost all used. I want to save an ethernet port, if possible via connect my router to my NAS via USB, instead of ethernet as I have it now. I have the latest firmware on my NAS and R7000 router.

Here is my current setup:

Laptop -> R7000 -> Synology NAS (8-bay DS1812+) ... all hardwired ethernet connections for best speed and reliability.

Here is the setup I want:

Laptop -> R7000 (still via ethernet cable). Then R7000 USB3.0 (output) to Synology USB 3.0 input, hence ethernet on NAS is disconnected from router.

1. Is it possible to fully access my NAS drives as described above? If so, how do I do it as the USB drive LED on router isn't lit

but lights up when using an actual thumb drive. How do I setup my router and NAS to make this happen?

2. Will my NAS still be able to get FW updates through the internet? Net --> Router WAN --> Router USB to NAS USB port???

Thank you!

BTW ... just ordered a Nighthawk AC4000 R8000 as the almost daily random restarts of my 3 year old R7000 have exceeded my patience, and that of my fellow student housemates.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
labatt
Mentor

Re: Can I access my NAS by connecting my R7000 router to Synology NAS via their respective USB 3.0 p

Don't think that would work. Best bet is to get an inexpensive gig switch. Any dumb switch should work just fine

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
labatt
Mentor

Re: Can I access my NAS by connecting my R7000 router to Synology NAS via their respective USB 3.0 p

Don't think that would work. Best bet is to get an inexpensive gig switch. Any dumb switch should work just fine

Message 2 of 8

@labatt wrote:

Don't think that would work.

I'm with you on that one. Looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Is it even possible to use USB on an NAS to do anything more than read/write to a USB drive?

Message 3 of 8
David_M
Tutor

@labatt wrote:

True, then I'd have even more HW and signal/power cables in an already tight space. What are USB ports on a NAS used for anyways?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
labatt
Mentor

Read the manual?

On mine for creating backups. 

Message 5 of 8
David_M
Tutor

So USB ports on routers and NAS are just used for external USB drive/dongle access only ?

Message 6 of 8
David_M
Tutor

@labatt wrote:

Read the manual?

On mine for creating backups. 

Yes, this is what is says (page 114):

"The USB ports on the router can be used only to connect USB storage devices like flash drives or hard drives. Do not connect computers, USB modems, CD drives, or DVD drives to the router USB port."

I thought my NAS could be seen as a USB storage device, unless its seen as a computer of sorts by the R7000?

Message 7 of 8
antinode
Guru

> So USB ports on routers and NAS are just used for external USB
> drive/dongle access only ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

On an R7000, you can attach a (simple) storage device or a printer --
whatever the firmware on the router supports.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "USB"?

> I thought my NAS could be seen as a USB storage device, [...]

Which it's not.  So you were wrong.

> [...] unless its seen as a computer of sorts by the R7000?

You nailed it.  That's exactly what it is.

> [...] I'd have even more HW and signal/power cables in an already
> tight space. [...]

Life is hard.  With my weak psychic powers, I can't see your
equipment or the space, but a small (5-port) cheap network switch seems
to me to be pretty small.  Does the switch need to be in your "tight
space", or could you place it closer to the router or the client devices
(depending on what's where)?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos