Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I repurpose a Nighthawk DSL Modem as a Wifi Router attached to by Cable Modem?

Nittany24
Guide

Can I repurpose a Nighthawk DSL Modem as a Wifi Router attached to by Cable Modem?

I currently have a Nighthawk D7000v2 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router.  My DSL service connects to it and then it also is used as my wireless router.  I am changing over to Cable and have purchased a Netgear CM700 High Speed cable modem. I was hoping to connect my Nighthawk router to it's one ethernet port so I will have WIFI using my old DSL router.  I thought if I plugged the cable modem into the Nighthawk's Lan Port (Port #1) it would work. Does anyone know?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions
Nittany24
Guide

Re: Can I repurpose a Nighthawk DSL Modem as a Wifi Router attached to by Cable Modem?

I stand corrected!!! I got it to work. I choose "Other" and then went to the page and selected the Must use Ethernet WAN as you had previously instructed. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU! 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 24

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> I currently have a Nighthawk D7000v2 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router. [...]

Firmware version?

> [...] I thought if I plugged the cable modem into the Nighthawk's Lan
> Port (Port #1) it would work. Does anyone know?

Why did you think that?  Here's a radical concept:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "Set Up the
Modem Router for Cable or Fiber Service".  Try not to be misled by
references to a "red Internet port", which might be left over from the
manual for the D7000[v1] (which actually did have a red Internet port.)

Message 2 of 24
Nittany24
Guide

Hey antinode, I don't know why you have to act like such a jerk. This was my first time posting a question and you ruined the entire experience for me. I hope someday you are faced with an experience where you reach out to others because you don't know what to do and someone treats you the same way you treated me and tell me to read the f*cking manual. Really nice job and a class act.
DSL and Cable modems are different. I think you misread my question. I'm trying to repurpose my DSL modem as a wireless router connected to a new cable modem so I dont have to go buy another router.
But I'd rather spend the money than have to deal with an idiot clown like you feeling better by being mean to people you don't even know.
Message 3 of 24
antinode
Guru

> [...] I hope someday you are faced with an experience where you reach
> out to others because you don't know what to do and someone treats you
> the same way you treated me and tell me to read the f*cking manual.
> [...]

I hope that I never live to see the day when I fail to try to find an
answer for myself in easily available product documentation before
asking for free help from some volunteer.  In which universe is it the
considerate thing to do _not_ to read the manual, but to ask for some
volunteer to read it to you?

> [...] I think you misread my question. [...]

I think that you're wrong.

> [...] I'm trying to repurpose my DSL modem as a wireless router
> connected to a new cable modem so I dont have to go buy another
> router.

That's how I read it.  And that's why I recommended that particular
section of the D7000v2 User Manual.  Did you bother to read it?  Was
there some part of it which was unclear?

> But I'd rather spend the money [...]

Please don't let me stop you.

Message 4 of 24
duckware
Prodigy

You can repurpose the D700v2 as an Access Point, but not as a router to your new modem.

Message 5 of 24

@duckware wrote:

You can repurpose the D700v2 as an Access Point, but not as a router to your new modem.

I am not convinced that this is the case.

The earlier answer may have been user hostile, which is par for the course, but it is on the right lines. Read the bit in the manual:

Set Up the Modem Router for Cable or Fiber Service

It says there:

You can install your modem router for cable or fiber (Ethernet WAN) service or for DSL service. If you use a cable or fiber modem, follow the procedure that is described in this section.

This is what the Internet/WAN port is there for on the back.

Message 6 of 24
duckware
Prodigy

OK, so the illustrations in the manual are wrong (do not match the real physical router)!?  The illustrations show no internet port (only a DSL port).

So, IF you see a read jack labeled "internet' on the back of your device, connect that to your new cable modem, and hopefully it will work.

Message 7 of 24
duckware
Prodigy

Nittany24, does your D7000v2 have a red internet port on it?

Well, this is all one big mess.  According to photos Netgear itself submitted to the FCC for the D7000 (PY315200306) and the D7000v2 (PY316400356), the D7000 HAS a red internet port, but the D7000v2 does NOT have a red internet port.

D7000v2:

Label: https://fccid.io/PY316400356/Label/Label-Sample-and-Label-Location-Information-3358702.pdf

External: https://fccid.io/PY316400356/External-Photos/External-Photos-3358694.pdf#page=2

D7000:

Label: https://fccid.io/PY315200306/Label/ID-Label-Location-Information-pdf-2624639.pdf#page=2

External: https://fccid.io/PY315200306/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-pdf-2624640.pdf#page=1

Message 8 of 24
duckware
Prodigy

Search the V2 manual for "Must use Ethernet WAN".  Looks like with this setting one of the LAN ports on the back gets converted to the WAN port (should be labeled?) -- which you then plug into your cable modem.

Message 9 of 24
antinode
Guru

> You can repurpose the D700v2 as an Access Point, but not as a router
> to your new modem.

Doesn't _anyone_ around here read the User Manual?

> OK, so the illustrations in the manual are wrong (do not match the
> real physical router)!? The illustrations show no internet port (only a
> DSL port).

Look again?  The D7000v2 User Manual is lousy with errors ("red
Internet port", for example), but it does mention the "Internet WAN
port".

> Search the V2 manual for "Must use Ethernet WAN". [...]

Or just trust the gizmo to do the right thing automatically.

Message 10 of 24

@duckware wrote:

OK, so the illustrations in the manual are wrong (do not match the real physical router)!?  The illustrations show no internet port (only a DSL port).

That should surprise no one. Even if the manual was correct to begin with, Netgear has a habit of changing things during production.

The illustration I am looking at, dated December 2017, clearly has a dual-purpose port labelled LAN4/Ethernet WAN on the back.

The Technical Specifications also refer to:

WAN One RJ-45 port supporting 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, and 1000BASE-T

The data sheet also refers to:

Gigabit Ethernet WAN port provides universal compatibility with any Internet service.

Message 11 of 24
Nittany24
Guide

Thank you @michaelkenward you are correct that I have one port hat is called LAN 4/Ehternet WAN. I do not have a red port called Internet.

Thank you @duckware for also helping me. 

I appreciate both of your kind responses as I was confusd about how I was going to get this to work. I had searched the Netgear community page for help before I asked the question and couldn't find an answer.

So what I will do is once I get the cable modem installed today (tech will be out this afternoon) I will connect the cable modem with an ethernet cable to the LAN4/Ethernet WAN port and see what happens! Hopefully it will convert automatically. I'll let you know.

Message 12 of 24

@Nittany24 wrote:

So what I will do is once I get the cable modem installed today (tech will be out this afternoon) I will connect the cable modem with an ethernet cable to the LAN4/Ethernet WAN port and see what happens!

That should work just fine.  The manuals for Netgear's DSL modem/routers all seem to offer this router only mode. They just differ slightly in how to go about it. Many modem/routers has a standalone WAN port rather than a dual purpose WAN/LAN port.

In that way, the Internet bypasses the modem bit of the D7000. When I have played around with a D6400 modem/router in that mode, I didn't have to do anything.

One thing to bear in mind, the D7000 makes it connection through the new modem, and it needs to negotiate its settings during the boot phase. This means that you should start the D7000 after the new modem has established its Internet connection. So start the network in the correct order:

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

And get the modem sorted out before you add the D7000. It isn't always easy to get back into its management interface when the router is in charge of managing the local network.

Message 13 of 24
Nittany24
Guide

Ok. I think I will make sure the cable modem works with my laptop directly connected to it before I introduce the D7000v2. Once I verify everything works in that environment, I will disconnect my laptop from the cable modem, and then power off the modem and then I will follow the steps you previously mention about booting up in that particular sequence. Thank you!
Message 14 of 24

@Nittany24 wrote:
Ok. I think I will make sure the cable modem works with my laptop directly connected to it before I introduce the D7000v2.

Good move.

Ensure that the firmware on the D7000v2 is up to date before you do that. And it might be a good idea to factory reset it before you add it to the modem.

One other issue, if they supply you with a modem/router that complicates things. You can deal with that one if it arises.

Message 15 of 24
Nittany24
Guide

I am supplying my own Netgear cable modem, not leasing it from Xfinity.

I went to update the firmware on my D7000v2. It went ahead and downloaded it and rebotted my D7000v2. But when I log back into the router, it still says there is a firware upgrade available and it still appears on on the old version. Not sure why it appears to update it but the portal doesn't reflect it.

Message 16 of 24
labatt
Mentor

Firmware updates are controlled by the ISP. Stop and think about it. If you were the ISP would you want untested by them firmware on a modem connected to their network? I do not think I would if I were them. That is why they control firmware updates to modems/routers.

Message 17 of 24
labatt
Mentor

Further comment. My CM1150V is connected to Comcast and it has never been updated. 

Message 18 of 24

@Nittany24 wrote:

I went to update the firmware on my D7000v2. It went ahead and downloaded it and rebotted my D7000v2. But when I log back into the router, it still says there is a firware upgrade available and it still appears on on the old version.

How did you update?

Manual over a wired connection is best.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

Go to the firmware section, read the release notes, follow the instructions.

Message 19 of 24

@labatt wrote:

Firmware updates are controlled by the ISP. Stop and think about it. If you were the ISP would you want untested by them firmware on a modem connected to their network? I do not think I would if I were them. That is why they control firmware updates to modems/routers.

I assume that this is personal opinion rather than fact based.

There's a whole world of DSL internet services out there that allow users to update their own firmware.

And no, it isn't because DSL ISPs cannot control firmware updates. Some do, including BT in the UK. That is one reason why people avoid using BT's modems.

Message 20 of 24
Nittany24
Guide

Well I had sad news. Apparently the Xfinity tech is telling me that this D7000v2 is not compatible with Xfinity.  We did a factory reset on the D7000v2 and when I went to the router login, unfortunately Comcast is not a provider in the drop down for me to choose. So I think I have to go buy a new router or get a modem that has a router built in 😞

Message 21 of 24
Nittany24
Guide

I stand corrected!!! I got it to work. I choose "Other" and then went to the page and selected the Must use Ethernet WAN as you had previously instructed. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU! 🙂

Message 22 of 24

The idea that a router is not compatible with a particular ISP doesn't wash. Sadly, their tech people are famously ill informed and can't hope to know all the routers out there. That is what this place is for.
Message 23 of 24
Nittany24
Guide

Everyting is working beautifully in my home tonight. Thanks @michaelkenward for following up.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7