Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I update firmware WITHOUT installing router?

flipr33983
Aspirant

Can I update firmware WITHOUT installing router?

I have a Nighthawk R7900P that I am not using, I'd like to connect to it, WITHOUT installing into my network.

Since I lost my job to virus-related work slowdown, I want to update firmware, reset passwords, all without installing into my network. Network is runniing fine on R7960P, and don't want to mess with it.  Want to reset and sell to get some cash.

Is there someway to connect via ethernet cable to the disconnected router, and update firmware, and reset passwords?  Need to sell it, but want to make sure its clean.  I know I can do factory reset, but afraid that will revert to an older firmware.

Also have same issue with an R7000 router sitting in the closet.

If I can't update firmware, can these models be used as an access point or extender to current (R7960) network?

Thanks in advance.

~flipr33983

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Connect one of your PCs with ethernet cable to this unused router, go to http://192.168.1.1 and login with the credentials and do a firmware update. Afterwards you can connect your PC again to your router in use

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Connect one of your PCs with ethernet cable to this unused router, go to http://192.168.1.1 and login with the credentials and do a firmware update. Afterwards you can connect your PC again to your router in use

Message 2 of 4

Like @microchip8 says, and I chip in only to comment that some people think this is a good thing to do with a new router, before you set it up to use the Internet.

Message 3 of 4
flipr33983
Aspirant

Thanks for the help, this worked for 1, the second one I had to 'reset' and then 192.168.1.1 would work. Of course I couldn't set password to 'password' as was the default, but a sticky note will let new owners know.

Thanks much

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7