Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use my R6300 as a repeater with my Nighthawk R8000 as the base?

guswhite3
Aspirant

Can I use my R6300 as a repeater with my Nighthawk R8000 as the base?

I am trying to set up my R6300 as a repeater with my Nighthawk R8000 as the base. The R6300 has a setting for repeater, but the R8000 does not. Is there any way to make this work? 

I also have a R6400 but it does not have any Wireless repeater settings available.

Any help?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
guswhite3
Aspirant

Re: Can I use my R6300 as a repeater with my Nighthawk R8000 as the base?

Thank you microchip8,

I tried one of my powerline devices and located the R6400 in a closer position and set it to AP. Works great! I think this is the solution for me given the equipment I already have, and buying another powerline device will only cost $30. Not bad.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Repeaters cut WiFi bandwidth in half as they need to be in constant contact with the device they're repeating the signal for. What you want is an Access Point. Unfortunately, an AP requires a wired connection. If pulling a (long) cable is not an option, you can opt for a powerline or mesh solution

Message 2 of 5
guswhite3
Aspirant

I understand about the bandwidth making repeating not optimal, about the AP setup and the use of a cable connection (not practical in my case), and about a powerline connection (which I already use for my TiVo setup in two rooms) ... all great suggestions, but I don't understand what a mesh solution is. Could you explain that, or direct me to information about that.

My situation involves my internet cable connection being in the middle of my house, which works ok for the wifi to all the devices in the house, but my office is in a building about 50 feet behind my house. I can get a wifi signal out here, but it is weak, especially the 5g. I was looking for a way to boost the signal. Perhaps a powerline connection out here would work well, but I would be concerned about noise on the line and the degradation of the signal. However, I might just try that.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
microchip8
Master

The end result of a Mesh system is similar to that of repeater, without the downside of the last one. However, working of a Mesh system is different from that of repeater. You can read about it here https://www.howtogeek.com/290418/what-are-mesh-wi-fi-systems-and-how-do-they-work/

NETGEAR has the Orbi mesh system, however I find it quite pricey (I also don't have a need for Mesh in my apartment)

Message 4 of 5
guswhite3
Aspirant

Thank you microchip8,

I tried one of my powerline devices and located the R6400 in a closer position and set it to AP. Works great! I think this is the solution for me given the equipment I already have, and buying another powerline device will only cost $30. Not bad.

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7