Can R8000 straddle two subnets?

d_rick
Aspirant

Can R8000 straddle two subnets?

Hi,

I currently have two subnets on my SOHO network. I have 192.168.1.x which is where the majority of my devices live, and then i have 192.168.2.x which is the guest network and where my security system lives. Currently the R8000 serves the 192.168.1.x network as an AP (only). I need to add some additional security cameras to my system, and am wondering what the best way to do so is.

So my questions as follows:

Q1 - Is it possible to force the guest network option on the R8000 to live on the .2 network, and if so how?

Q2 - If not, and i added another R8000, could i make him an AP living on the .2 network to serve up the additional devices with no physical or logical connection to the .1 subnet

Q3 - If not on Q1 & Q2, then any other suggestions on how to accomplish this?

TIA

D

Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Can R8000 straddle two subnets?

@d_rick wrote:

Hi,

I currently have two subnets on my SOHO network. I have 192.168.1.x which is where the majority of my devices live, and then i have 192.168.2.x which is the guest network and where my security system lives. Currently the R8000 serves the 192.168.1.x network as an AP (only). I need to add some additional security cameras to my system, and am wondering what the best way to do so is.

So my questions as follows:

Q1 - Is it possible to force the guest network option on the R8000 to live on the .2 network, and if so how?

Q2 - If not, and i added another R8000, could i make him an AP living on the .2 network to serve up the additional devices with no physical or logical connection to the .1 subnet

Q3 - If not on Q1 & Q2, then any other suggestions on how to accomplish this?

TIA

D

No to question 1

I hope you understand that when guest is used on the r8000 in AP Mode you lose isolation meaning guest can see your wired devices so what's the point of differnet subnets?

Message 2 of 4
d_rick
Aspirant

@searay wrote:

No to question 1

I hope you understand that when guest is used on the r8000 in AP Mode you lose isolation meaning guest can see your wired devices so what's the point of differnet subnets?

That is what i thought on Q1, thanks for confirming

On the why for guest usage, it's lack of options. The new cameras need connectivity to the Internet and that means either more PowerLine adapters or wireless. As i don't own the security implementation of the security system, i don't want it on my network. That is the reason for the different subnets.

Message 3 of 4
d_rick
Aspirant

shoot, i forgot you can't edit posts on this forum.

one other comment on this. generally speaking, even if my use case was different - i would still want to be able to light up the guest network when vistors come over, and keep them isolated from the rest of the devices on my network. it appears as though even though someone at NetGear agreed that folks might be interested in doing this, they have disabled that feature.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements