Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can a CAX80 be used with fiber ISP internet

Jhmccl
Follower

Can a CAX80 be used with fiber ISP internet

I would like to drop Comcast cable and switch to GoNetSpeed Fiber ISP. My cable/modem/router (CAX80 AX 6000) has a Coax for cable, but also has a Wan/Lan connector. Will this port work plugging in an ethernet cable from the PON box(fiber) provided by GoNetSpeed?
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Can a CAX80 be used with fiber ISP internet

No. the CAX isn't compatible with fibre. it doesn't have a wan port, just lan ports.

the older modem/router versions used to be able to disable dhcp (and a few other things) and allow you to rig it to work with another router.

It was pretty rigged up but could be made to work.

The CAX won't do this and will actually end up rebooting constantly if you try it. 

If you're planning on switching, I'd sell it and buy a compatible router. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

No. the CAX isn't compatible with fibre. it doesn't have a wan port, just lan ports.

the older modem/router versions used to be able to disable dhcp (and a few other things) and allow you to rig it to work with another router.

It was pretty rigged up but could be made to work.

The CAX won't do this and will actually end up rebooting constantly if you try it. 

If you're planning on switching, I'd sell it and buy a compatible router. 

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Cable Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Cable modems and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

@Jhmccl wrote:
I would like to drop Comcast cable and switch to GoNetSpeed Fiber ISP. My cable/modem/router (CAX80 AX 6000) has a Coax for cable, but also has a Wan/Lan connector. Will this port work plugging in an ethernet cable from the PON box(fiber) provided by GoNetSpeed?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7