Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can a R7000 in bridge mode communicate with any type of router or just another R7000

__EHH__
Tutor

Can a R7000 in bridge mode communicate with any type of router or just another R7000

Dear ppl,

I have 2 routers (both R7000's), one set up as a router and the other as a bridge. All is working well on both 2.4G and 5G (although not simulaneously, as I read it woudnt do). After a power cycle all was well still.

With the bridge set-up at my home I took it to my dad to have his printer connect via wifi to the network (same networkname and password as at my place) but it didnt work. The proper LED's lid up on the R7000 bridge (the same LED's as with the working situation at my home) but I never managed to get the ethernet networkprinter to work.

The only difference between both situations is the Zyxel router that my father uses where I use another R7000.

I checked the DHCP IP pool to make sure IP numbers arent duplicated etc. (the printer uses a fixed IP address but changing it to a DHCP provided IP address made no difference).

My laptop was able to connect to the wifi network w/o any problems while at my dad's place.

The f/w on both R7000's is V.1.0.9.88_10.2.88

My dad's network consists of the Zyxel router located in the utility closet broadcasting 2.4G and 5G wifi signals. The Printer (HP Laserjet Pro M1536DNF) is in my dad's office upstairs (my mom doesnt allow it to be taken down one floor 🙂 )

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Edwin

btw. when I returned home I checked whether the bridge would still work ... it did!!!Smiley Frustrated

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9
Portwey84
Virtuoso

Re: Can a R7000 in bridge mode communicate with any type of router or just another R7000

@__EHH__   My first suggestion is perhaps you might want to update your routers firmware because you're currently five firmware versions behind the latest for your model of router:

https://kb.netgear.com/000064024/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-128

If you read through the threads on this forum, you will see plenty of references to the auto update feature which is as reliable as a chocolate teapot. If anything, update your firmware just for the security fixes.

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can a R7000 in bridge mode communicate with any type of router or just another R7000

I would first troubleshoot the printer not working with the R7000 in bridge mode before updating FW. It should work with the R7000 in bridge mode and the printer connected to the R7000.

Make sure the printer is getting an IP address from the Host router thru the R7000 in bridge mode. If your wanting to connect the printer to the R7000 in bridge mode, you first need to ethernet connect the printer to the R7000 inback. Bridge mode on the R7000 turns it in to a wireless client, not a wifi signal broadcast that can be connected too. While the R7000 is in bridge mode you can only connect ethernet connected devices to the back of the R7000 in bridge mode. 

@__EHH__ wrote:

Dear ppl,

I have 2 routers (both R7000's), one set up as a router and the other as a bridge. All is working well on both 2.4G and 5G (although not simulaneously, as I read it woudnt do). After a power cycle all was well still.

With the bridge set-up at my home I took it to my dad to have his printer connect via wifi to the network (same networkname and password as at my place) but it didnt work. The proper LED's lid up on the R7000 bridge (the same LED's as with the working situation at my home) but I never managed to get the ethernet networkprinter to work.

The only difference between both situations is the Zyxel router that my father uses where I use another R7000.

I checked the DHCP IP pool to make sure IP numbers arent duplicated etc. (the printer uses a fixed IP address but changing it to a DHCP provided IP address made no difference).

My laptop was able to connect to the wifi network w/o any problems while at my dad's place.

The f/w on both R7000's is V.1.0.9.88_10.2.88

My dad's network consists of the Zyxel router located in the utility closet broadcasting 2.4G and 5G wifi signals. The Printer (HP Laserjet Pro M1536DNF) is in my dad's office upstairs (my mom doesnt allow it to be taken down one floor 🙂 )

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Edwin

btw. when I returned home I checked whether the bridge would still work ... it did!!!Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 9
__EHH__
Tutor

Thanks for your suggestion. Strange the f/w is 5 versions behind as I expected the firmware to be up to date as I had the R7000 check for new f/w last weekend and updated it.

If I dont find a solution I try updating the f/w as the bridge is working in my network.

Thanks,

E

Message 4 of 9
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@__EHH__ wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion. Strange the f/w is 5 versions behind as I expected the firmware to be up to date as I had the R7000 check for new f/w last weekend and updated it.

E

@__EHH__  To be honest, I'm not surprised your firmware isn't up to date. The amount of folks that come onto this forum who think their firmware is up to date and post in the belief that it is, has numbered many. As I say, you can't trust what the check for updates button says because it will tell you you're up to date and no updates are available. Netgear it seems, have no interest in resolving that from the experience I've had.

You say you updated the f/w last weekend. I'd love to know what firmware your router was on before you updated, especially as you are currently so far behind, unless you've updated since my last post.

Message 5 of 9
__EHH__
Tutor

Thanks for your reply. I understand that the bridge R7000 only supplies a wired network connection.

My dad just changed from one ISP to another (from ADSL to fiber). In the old situation my dad used his R7000 as a "regular" router with the printer attached to it (via ethernet cable, the printer is not wifi capable). So the printer worked fine for years and years via an ethernet cable connected to the R7000.

E

Message 6 of 9
__EHH__
Tutor

Thanks for your reply.

Hmm you raise an interesting subject.

The f/w the R7000 was using was v.1.0.9.64_10.2.64.

The new f/w as found by the R7000 update procedure was v.1.0.11.120_2.1.38.1 but the f/w that was downloaded/installed is v.1.0.9.88_10.2.8

E

Message 7 of 9
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@__EHH__   v.1.0.9.64 is the firmware that my own router shipped with when I bought it in February 2020. I've updated six times since then, never had an issue. A couple of the firmwares were withdrawn quite quickly after release, including a hotfix.

My suggestion, if you can be bothered, is to check the firmware version once every couple of months via the downloads page. That way, you'll know if you have the latest version. I do have the Netgear Nighthawk App installed on my iphone and it is useful for checking what devices you have connected, or of you want to do a quick reboot. I'd never personally use it to carry out a firmware update though, but that's a personal decision for me.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd contact the printers mfr for help and support with there product. If thre has been a change on the router or printer in regards to IP addressing, the printer would need to be probably set up again with it's printer driver. 

@__EHH__ wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I understand that the bridge R7000 only supplies a wired network connection.

My dad just changed from one ISP to another (from ADSL to fiber). In the old situation my dad used his R7000 as a "regular" router with the printer attached to it (via ethernet cable, the printer is not wifi capable). So the printer worked fine for years and years via an ethernet cable connected to the R7000.

E

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7