Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can a bricked Nighthawk router be saved

Fermier
Aspirant

Can a bricked Nighthawk router be saved

I tried to update my nighthawk R7900P router and it failed.  Now the power light flashes white and the firmware is corrupted!  Is ther a way to repair this router?  I did a search and found a similar question from 2019 but it required an Apple Mac computer.  Are there instruction that will show me how to fix the corrupted firmware or do I have to trash the router?

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Fermier
Aspirant

I searched this forum for help and found a couple of old solutions that were either not for my pc operating system, or were for a different model router.  I tried to follow them as well as I could but they referred to steps and screens that weren't showing on my Windows 10 machine.  None of them were of any help so I broke down and purchased a gearhead service policy.  The nice guy from India who was asssigned to assiste me was very smart and patient and he was able to resolve this issue for me in under an hour!  My router is back up again.  I believe the corruption occured because I was using the Netgear app on my phone to update the firmware.  It has been suggested that I use the browser on my PC next time.  I agree.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] I did a search and found a similar question from 2019 [...]

Think, for a moment, about how little useful information that
non-description conveys to the non-psychics in your audience.

> [...] but it required an Apple Mac computer. [...]

Now that we know what you don't have, perhaps you might consider
revealing what you _do_ have.

The following topic leads to descriptions for multiple operating
systems (and TFTP client programs):

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096#M102004

Message 2 of 5
labatt
Mentor

Message 3 of 5
Kamoj
Apprentice

First: I don't have an R7900P, but I have some other experience of other Netgear routers.

Second: If your router is under guarantee - don't try to fiddle with it.

Third: I take no responsibility for any inconvenience or damage following my tips can cause or lead to.

Can you boot it? Can you get control of it? Can you telnet or ssh into the router?
If not stop reading here.

If you are still reading this, send my a private message, and I'll try to help you.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router, R8900|Nighthawk X10 AD7000 Smart WiFi Router, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
Fermier
Aspirant

I searched this forum for help and found a couple of old solutions that were either not for my pc operating system, or were for a different model router.  I tried to follow them as well as I could but they referred to steps and screens that weren't showing on my Windows 10 machine.  None of them were of any help so I broke down and purchased a gearhead service policy.  The nice guy from India who was asssigned to assiste me was very smart and patient and he was able to resolve this issue for me in under an hour!  My router is back up again.  I believe the corruption occured because I was using the Netgear app on my phone to update the firmware.  It has been suggested that I use the browser on my PC next time.  I agree.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7